A bit of blue smoke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of blue smoke...

A couple of weekends ago, I rode to a place about 50 miles away to meet up with a friend for lunch.

Insert a bit of anecdotal history here:

I have a 1980 GS1100E with about 43,000 miles on it since new. I first purchased it in 1982 from a local dealer friend, and rode it for about 18 years. I relocated to Atlanta (1998) and had a pretty gnarly commute (24 miles each way). The traffic was getting super crazy and I pretty much parked it.
    Along comes the friend that I refer to in the above in 2000 and wanted the bike so I sold it to him for $1000. He loves it (who wouldn't?) and relocates to Utah where he rides it for about 3 years before a skiing accident prevents him from walking for a year, let alone riding. When he returned to riding he buys a V-Strom and parks my old bike. He relocates to South Carolina, a n hour and a half from me. I start asking about my old bike and after a while he agrees to sell it back to me for... $1,000! Hmmm same as the price I got for it 18 years before. But... I wanted it and paid up. Well it turns out he gave me back all but $2 bucks and said to take the $998 and "make it run", since it had sat for 14 years with gas in the carbs, it was a challenge. I had already owned this bike 18 years myself, so I am familiar with the carbs. 3 months later I was riding it regularly. This was 2 and a half years and 3,000 miles ago.

Back to two weeks ago.
    We meet up for lunch (yummm). He now rides a BMW 1200 sport touring bike. After lunch I asked if he wants to ride my bike for old times sake and he does only if I will follow on his behemoth.
    I've never ridden behind my own bike, and I noticed a little bit of blue smoke coming from the exhaust (Vance and Hines 4 into 1). I saw no drop in the sight glass from the pre-trip check, but I can definitely see a bit of blue smoke if I am sitting in traffic. It only smokes after getting up to operating temperature however. I should mention the weather was hotter than the gate hinges of Hell that day with in traffic temperatures probably 100°F!

Finally, the question:
    The oil viscosity is supposed to be 10W40. Would there e any harm in running 20W50? I ask because of the wet clutch, mostly. A bit more warm up time before heading out wouldn't hurt I suppose.
    Thoughts anyone? Sorry for the long post.
    Burt.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Lane; 09-20-2020, 02:08 PM.
    Just an old guy trying to have a little fun with my toy.
    1980 GS1100E

sigpic

I would watch it for a bit. If it still does it on cooler days you may have a problem. Check it at the end of a ride. Remember also that oil expands so for consumption, level checks are best done cold.
    Some run 20/50. It's thicker so will be harder to kick into first when cold and you may be generating more heat at operating temperature.
    Lots of us run 15/40 diesel oils. I can't see a clutch problem with either as generally you only find the slippery additives in 0/x, 5/x and 10/x car oils.
    They generally have a planet saver sticker somewhere on the jug.
    Conventional wisdom is that blue at start is valve seals but when at temperature it's rings. Pull the plugs. They are good indicators of oil problems.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

First, I love your story...thanks, I thoroughly enjoyed that!

Now, about the V&H/4-1...I have one on my “T” and did not come across any issues once I changed the main jets from 112.5 to 117.5 and ran it with original air box while living in Alamogordo, NM. (High Altitude)

I used the recommended oil but my bike’s only problem was a slow oil leak. I don’t know where it came from but it wasn’t a major issue.

If you rebuilt the carbs, did you see the main sizes? Not sure what size mains came stock with 1100 size engine.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I would wait till winter and do a full top end refresh. Rings arent crazy expensive. I regularly use these guys and i just did a complete top end on my buddies 77 GS750 which was also one of my former bikes. The gasket kits are around 110 bucks from suppliers like Veshra. Scroll down the left side of the website and youll see the Suzuki sections.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

20W-50 is fine as long as it's not super cold in the morning. The rocker arm 750/1100E bikes tend to wear out their valve guides so that and the valve stem seals could be the problem. If you decide to undergo a winter project like chuck suggests I'd be sure to measure everything carefully, don't assume, before choosing your path. For example, if the bores measure good than a hone and new rings should take care of that part of the engine. When it comes to gaskets the OEM Suzuki parts are superior to aftermarket. They are more expensive but worth it if you plan to ride the bike a lot.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It’s got 40 year old valve guide seals. They are likely a little hard and maybe even cracked. If it’s using just a little oil and not fouling plugs I would ride it. Dar

Comment

Yep. They're not getting any younger. If for some reason the exhaust headers are off you can peek in the ports and see if any of the exhaust valves have oil running down. Generally that oil collects in cylinders after shutdown and you have clouds of the stuff at the next cold start.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Gotta take off head to do seals so its just a few extra steps to clean up cylinders and put in new rings too. Then its all new and no worries.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If the seals are spent, you'll get a puff os white smoke at a downshift or when you get off the gas, when the manifold vacuum peaks.
                  If you constantly see white smoke it's probably rings.
                  Your 40 year old rings may be worn but they have lost tension, they're not pressing OUT like they used to.
                  If I had the head off my 40 year old bike I'd definitely replace the seals AND the rings, and at least lap the valves.
                  And if i was replacing rings I would see if Total Seal sold rings for my GS. Total Seal make rings for almost everything, seal better than OEM and are usually a LOT cheaper than OEM.

Comment

How much blue smoke? If it's barely noticeable, not needing to add oil between changes, nor fouling plugs, what's the point. If it's bad enough you're embarrassed riding it or needing to add oil between changes it may be time for attention. 20/50 could possibly reduce the smoke slightly, & won't hurt a thing, what have you got to lose? One more thing, the "80" 1100E's were silver or red, the "81" models were blue or black, What gives? Not that it matters. Welcome & good luck.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I re-jetted it with a Dynojet kit using their recommendations. I do feel it could run a bit richer though.
                      1980 GS1100E

sigpic

Comment

This bike was originally sold to a teenager who convinced his Mom to buy it for him. The owner of the shop warned her it was crazy fast and strongly cautioned her not to do it.
                        Anyway, she bought it for him, of course. He lasted 6 weeks (I am amazed) and he crashed it. Not fatal for him, but was for the bike. The shop bought it back from the insurance company because they had a brand new frame and fork set in stock. Someone was going to build a race bike and ordered the frame. The deposit was the shop's cost in the frame. Anyway, the guy who ordered the frame never showed up, which is why the owner of the shop wanted the salvage. All he needed was the black parts (this was in '81, and voila! he had a nearly new 1980 1100E!. remember at the time it was a VERY popular bike. He asked $2000 for it and i bought it. I owned a PE250 enduro and a CB750 Honda at the time and bought quite a bit of parts from him. Also I had worked at a Suzuki/triumph/BSA shop in high school assembling and test riding bikes, so we had a never ending supply of war stories. I didn't realize it didn't even have a serial number on the frame until I tried to get a Florida title for it (we moved to Tampa in '90). The Florida DMV said no serial number, no Florida title, so I went to Sears and bought a set of metal stamps and put one on it! That's why it is the "wrong color" for 1980. Good eye sir!
                        1980 GS1100E

sigpic

Comment

I love a bike with a long and known history. Very cool background.
                          I had no idea that one could simply order a frame back in the day.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

This story keeps getting more and more interesting, right DB?

Plus, the writing keeps the reader interested in the sequence of events...

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              I love a bike with a long and known history. Very cool background.
                              I had no idea that one could simply order a frame back in the day.
                              Same as any other part.
                              Lots of bikes with replacement frames, but the shops were supposed to stamp them with the old numbers and destroy the original frame. Sometimes that didn't happen and caused a bit of awkwardness if somebody repaired a frame and then tried to register a frame change on their log book.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X