1981 GS450 - shifting gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450 - shifting gears

I tried to go for a ride this morning but once I took off couldn't shift from first gear to neutral or second gear. I had noticed that I was having trouble finding neutral these past few weeks but all else seemed fine. I can shift to second and third gear with the engine not running. I have also noticed that pushing the bike in neutral is much easier than pushing it in first gear with the clutch pulled in. Is this an indication of a clutch problem? Any help will be much appreciated.
    1981 GS450

Originally posted by ssco156 View Post
    I have also noticed that pushing the bike in neutral is much easier than pushing it in first gear with the clutch pulled in.
    That part sounds normal to me.

Do you have instructions for adjusting your clutch?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've got the Clymer manual but that's about it. Could it be just a clutch adjustment?
      1981 GS450

Comment

Definitely check clutch adjustment first, but another possibility is that the rose/heim joints in the gear shift linkage are flogged out giving too much free play.

I actually rebuilt my engine because I didn't check this, and thought I had a gearbox problem. Yes, I did. Imagine how much a fool I felt when I found everything in spec, reassembled, then discovered the excess free play

The linkage design means if there's too much free play, shifting in to first and then down shifting from the higher gears will result in the gear lever impacting the shift linkage shaft before engaging the gear, meaning getting stuck in neutral or not being able to down shift.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Actually, you might be right about the linkage. Someone pointed out to me that it had too much free play some time ago, but me being the type of not fixing things which are not broken just let it go. Maybe the time has come to do something about it but I'll definitely see if the clutch needs adjusting before anything else. Thanks for your input.

Originally posted by pete View Post
          Definitely check clutch adjustment first, but another possibility is that the rose/heim joints in the gear shift linkage are flogged out giving too much free play.

I actually rebuilt my engine because I didn't check this, and thought I had a gearbox problem. Yes, I did. Imagine how much a fool I felt when I found everything in spec, reassembled, then discovered the excess free play

The linkage design means if there's too much free play, shifting in to first and then down shifting from the higher gears will result in the gear lever impacting the shift linkage shaft before engaging the gear, meaning getting stuck in neutral or not being able to down shift.
          1981 GS450

Comment

Recheck your adjustment first before doing much else
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Schematic of the S version.
              Which model 450 do you have?
              Shop online for OEM Gear Shifting parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS450ET, search all our OEM Parts or call at 252-758-3084
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Schematic of the S version.
                Which model 450 do you have?
                https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/.../gear-shifting
                It's supposed to be an S version even though I bought it without the fairing. This could have been removed by a previous owner. I've attached a photo of the bike. I have removed the shifter/pedal linkage and the two bearings in the link arm (no28 in the schematic) are shot. Could that be the problem?
                Attached Files
                1981 GS450

Comment

I've got the Clymer manual but that's about it. Could it be just a clutch adjustment?
                  Can't have too many manuals...
                  I hope the link is still good but You can get the real shop manual by vgplay here:

Comment

It's supposed to be an S version even though I bought it without the fairing. This could have been removed by a previous owner. I've attached a photo of the bike. I have removed the shifter/pedal linkage and the two bearings in the link arm (no28 in the schematic) are shot. Could that be the problem?
                    That is what Pete was referring to when he said the rose/heim joints could be shot.
                    They can be replaced. You may find them cheaper elsewhere. Also make sure they are the correct ones for your set-up.
                    This is strictly for reference.
                    Material: 300 Series Stainless Steel Housing300 Series Stainless Steel BallThread: M6-1.0Race: Brass w/Teflon CoatingTotal Length: 40.5mmHead Width: 20mmEye Depth: 8.8mmEye I.D.: 6.5mm
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post

My joints are definitely gone. I'm sending a photo showing my assembly with what I presume are the joints we're talking about marked in red. Do you think I should go for new parts or try sourcing a used complete assembly?

As a sideline, I see you're in Queensland. I've got some good memories of Australia, spent thirteen years in Melbourne in the 80s and 90s.
                      Attached Files
                      1981 GS450

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        That is what Pete was referring to when he said the rose/heim joints could be shot.
                        They can be replaced. You may find them cheaper elsewhere. Also make sure they are the correct ones for your set-up.
                        This is strictly for reference.
                        https://www.z1enterprises.com/m6-x-1...nt-female.html
                        l

Thanks for your help. What would be involved in removing and replacing the old joints? Would this require a press?
                        1981 GS450

Comment

Apologies, haven't logged in this week!

Yep, those are the rose/heim joints that are the problem.

I simply used a dremel to grind off where they'd been peened at the rear to enable replacing them, and any suitable rod end, rose joint, or heim joint that fits the M6 threads should be fine. Just be careful with dimensions as the body on some of the rod ends on eBay are too long and you won't be able to fit the jam nut back on as well.

The rod ends I replaced mine with are simply bolted to the gear lever and splined part with M6 nuts and bolts.
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                          X