Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Suzuki GS1100G Oil Change

Folks

Do you recommend either Shell T5 15W-40 Synthetic or T4 15W-40? I've put 150 miles on the bike since the restoration and I used Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil which I intended to change once I put some miles on her.
    My Girls:

1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 " Valerie" - Project
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G "Beauty" My Daily Rider
    1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 LTD "Amber" - Project
    1978-1982 Yamaha XS1100 Special "Sweetness" - I'm still looking for her.

Either of those are good oils. At the frequency we change, synthetic is not needed, semi syn or dino are just as good.
    I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to drop the Valvoline until it's due. It's good and not cheap.
    At change time I use any 15W40 diesel light truck oil that is available.
    This article, although a bit old, gives some interesting insights.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Either of those are good oils. At the frequency we change, synthetic is not needed, semi syn or dino are just as good.
      I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to drop the Valvoline until it's due. It's good and not cheap.
      At change time I use any 15W40 diesel light truck oil that is available.
      This article, although a bit old, gives some interesting insights.
      https://www.vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm
      Yeah the Valvoline wasn't cheap. I need her to run until the day they bury me I want only the best for her. Thanks for the advice
      My Girls:

Comment

Originally posted by GalDemSuga View Post
        Folks

Do you recommend either Shell T5 15W-40 Synthetic or T4 15W-40? I've put 150 miles on the bike since the restoration and I used Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil which I intended to change once I put some miles on her.
        Look at the T6 is full synthetic, that is what I use. T5 is a synthetic blend. T4 is just regular base heavy duty oil. Your are in Texas and it gets hot, the synthetic has much better thermo and shearing properties than the other two.
        Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-21-2020, 01:55 PM.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          At the frequency we change, synthetic is not needed, semi syn or dino are just as good.
          True, but it also depends on your "change frequency".

I run the T4 synthetic and extend my change intervals a bit.
          Not enough to get anyone's knickers in a twist, but a bit beyond Suzuki's recommendation.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Humph. That wasn't much of an oil thread.
            Where's the vigour?
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Where's the vigour?
              I will read up on the T6 15W-40. Its 2000 degrees in TX.
              Last edited by GalDemSuga; 09-23-2020, 06:03 AM.
              My Girls:

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Where's the vigour?
                Is there supposed to be more venom and vitriol?
                1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
                  Is there supposed to be more venom and vitriol?
                  There used to be arguments and fisticuffs over oil.
                  Not the same nowadays.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Oh alright then.
                    My 2T/Dino oil mix is better than yours and never use syn because it causes porosity in castings near the redline and 20w50 is the same as oversize rings.
                    Anything costing more than 50 cent a liter is pure marketing BS
                    Better?
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Mmmmm, still missing that combative flavor.

What we need to really get this kettle boiling is some pervert using store brand oil.

We once long ago, and I am not making this up, heard from a guy who was happily working his way through several dusty cases of ancient 10W-30 no-name oil he found on clearance at some local odd lots dollar store.

The only thing we could figure was that perhaps the stuff was so cheap that it was missing the usual friction modifier additives that ruin wet clutches.

He was happy, his motorcycle was happy, and he's probably still out there somewhere with a couple of cases left.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Mmmmm, still missing that combative flavor.

What we need to really get this kettle boiling is some pervert using store brand oil.

Been sitting on the bench these last months. Give me a break...
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous

Comment

I never ride in the cold (OK, there was that surprise hail storm in Arizona in 1979), so I've always used Shell & Chevron 20w50 and change is every 1,000 miles. The bike doesn't need much oil and I bought a lot a long time ago by the case -- about 50¢ a quart -- so it's pretty cheap.

I've never had a problem in 40+ years except when I didn't get the oil filter gasket in place correctly -- and had a small leak. Of course, it managed to grease the rear tire, so the rear end started to side out when I was getting on a highway ramp. Fortunately I was going slow -- and was able to stop before accelerating to highway speed.

It wasn't the oil's fault, of course.
                          Last edited by xkaes; 11-28-2020, 12:14 PM.
                          sigpic
                          '77 GS550B
                          '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                            I never ride in the cold (OK, there was that surprise hail storm in Arizona in 1979), so I've always used Shell & Chevron 20w50 and change is every 1,000 miles. The bike doesn't need much oil and I bought a lot a long time ago by the case -- about 50¢ a quart -- so it's pretty cheap.

I've never had a problem in 40+ years except when I didn't get the oil filter gasket in place correctly -- and had a small leak. Of course, it managed to grease the rear tire, so the rear end started to side out when I was getting on a highway ramp. Fortunately I was going slow -- and was able to stop before accelerating to highway speed.

It wasn't the oil's fault, of course.
                            In the interest of creating contempt for other people's opinion...in mine I'd say that you are harming the environment and planet by changing the oil at a ridiculous 1000 mile interval. You can safely use the oil 3x longer. Get with the program man!!!

And a little oil on the rear tire will teach you to explore the outer limits of traction. Kenny Roberts was famous for mentoring his students on his ranch dirt track where the norm was to hang the rear end out sideways thus "steering with the rear end" so to speak. Mind you I'm not advocating pinching your oil filter O-ring and creating oil leaks, but there is a silver lining behind every dark cloud.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The roads are oily or wet or both -- and slippery enough -- for me "as is". No sense in me adding any extra grease. Not to mention gravelly -- I've spent a lot of time on dirt roads, and those are the only places I've ever "bit the dust", fortunately with no damage to me or the bike.

As to oil, I always recycle it -- the little I use -- so it doesn't go to waste. Much of it will end up in the slippery street when they repave it.
                              sigpic
                              '77 GS550B
                              '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                              X