Installing 1991 Katana 750 cams in a 1982 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 1991 Katana 750 cams in a 1982 GS1100E

I ran across a perfect set of 1991 Katana 750 cams cheap. The 91 Kanata looks like the first gen oil cooled type engine where two valves are actuated by a single cam lobe. With the exception of no cam drive gear on the exhaust cam they look like a bolt in. If I understand correctly they add lift and duration which is what I am looking for. I can make and install a cam gear if needed for the tach drive, other than that 4 distraction I am wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this and had some info. Also does anyone have the lift and duration specs for the stock 91 Katana 750 cams, and the original 82 1100E cams.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Cam bearing journals are not the same.

Comment

Dig around in here metalfab and you'll find info on putting the whole Kat head on your GS though...
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
        Cam bearing journals are not the same.
        I have a machine shop so I can make some changes do you know the specifics on the differences. Right now I am assuming that it is a no go.

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
        Dig around in here metalfab and you'll find info on putting the whole Kat head on your GS though...
        Now that you mention it I remember seeing that swap somewhere. I have a second GS1100E project, an 81 with a 75mm big bore kit going to it. That is the one I would like to put the oil cooled head on.
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

The GSXR head on a GS 1100/1150 is an easy swap, I've done more than 30. There are just specific things you have to do, and the GSXR cams WILL go in an 1100/1150 head, you just have to machine the cams a little, as in a little bit of grinding.
          Ray.

Comment

Ray, are the GS1150 stock cams a worthwhile improvement over the 1100e cams?
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Yes, but you lose the tach drive with an 1150 exhaust cam.
              Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                The GSXR head on a GS 1100/1150 is an easy swap, I've done more than 30. There are just specific things you have to do, and the GSXR cams WILL go in an 1100/1150 head, you just have to machine the cams a little, as in a little bit of grinding.
                Ray.

Ray thanks for the info. I believe I have seen some of the GSXR heads with a rocker for each valve, then the older type with the same setup as the 16V GS where two valves share a single rocker. Is the type that a single rocker actuates two valves the correct type to swap onto a GS1100E.

I have a few spare 16V GS heads, I need to sit gown and do some measuring.
                1981 GS1100E
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X