No announcement yet.

Why paint a PT Cruise..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Steve. Such a small amount of contrast goes a long way. Same with the orange on the rims I think.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Nice job, Larry! I painted two cars in my lifetime, a 1975 Grand Prix and a 1973 Firebird and I remember how much work it was! You make this look so easy...Lol.

Pinstripe really does pull the two-tone together and the last shot from front left is it's photogenic side. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

You never have to justify a labour of love. Lots of us are into things that mainstreamers would laugh at... like old Suzuki motorcycles.

I had a Fiero GT for awhile, fun car with great styling. Total pariah but I didn't care. Now I'm looking at a Neon SRT-4 to buzz around in. Again, it may as well be a Pacer in the eyes of the collective but the 250-ish horsepower gives it a fun-factor that can't easily be matched on four wheels at its price-point.

I wish I could paint like you can, looks like it turned out amazing.
        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
        2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
          You never have to justify a labour of love. Lots of us are into things that mainstreamers would laugh at... like old Suzuki motorcycles.

I had a Fiero GT for awhile, fun car with great styling. Total pariah but I didn't care. Now I'm looking at a Neon SRT-4 to buzz around in. Again, it may as well be a Pacer in the eyes of the collective but the 250-ish horsepower gives it a fun-factor that can't easily be matched on four wheels at its price-point.

I wish I could paint like you can, looks like it turned out amazing.
          Thanks for the compliment. I always thought the later model Fiero GTs were pretty cars. The SRT Neons are sleepers, for sure. I've had several chances to drive a Turbo PT..and always passed on it. I was told, "Why not..? They really cook.." I know..and that was the reason. I knew if I drove a turbo version, I'd never be satisfied with my measly 150 hp ever again. With a 5 spd..it's adequate, though.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
            Nice job, Larry! I painted two cars in my lifetime, a 1975 Grand Prix and a 1973 Firebird and I remember how much work it was! You make this look so easy...Lol.

Pinstripe really does pull the two-tone together and the last shot from front left is it's photogenic side. Thanks for sharing.
            Wow..those Pontiacs are a big cars..I can understand why they were difficult. I've painted a lot of cars, but very few by myself. It is a ton of work, and believe me, I felt it. I was lucky there was very little body work, but the 14 hr. day in the spray booth just about killed me..lol. Glad it's done, and happy with the results. At this age if I paint another car, it'll be too soon. I'll stick to bikes.
            Last edited by nvr2old; 10-05-2020, 01:15 PM.
            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
              Thanks for the compliment. I always thought the later model Fiero GTs were pretty cars. The SRT Neons are sleepers, for sure. I've had several chances to drive a Turbo PT..and always passed on it. I was told, "Why not..? They really cook.." I know..and that was the reason. I knew if I drove a turbo version, I'd never be satisfied with my measly 150 hp ever again. With a 5 spd..it's adequate, though.
              The guy who owns the Neon I'm looking at also owns two GT Cruiser convertibles with the same 2.4L turbo drivetrain as the SRT. He says they're a ton of fun too and surprise a lot of people when the light turns green.
              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

The end result is fantastic Larry, great job as always!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

That looks awesome.
                  I'm just getting back into painting. I just did my 1980 850G and it struck a chord with me.
                  Now I'm looking at some new HVLP guns and systems and possibly going to start moonlighting painting bikes...
                  There is nothing better than seeing your hard work come together with 3 coats of 2K clear!

20200928_140733.jpg

Comment

Larry, you must be the only guy with a PT that hasn't covered it with chrome farkles

Nice work, as always
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That's funny, T ..I too've seen so many PT Cruisers with 100 pounds of stick on gee-gaws all over them. Very similar to when Honda released the 1st Goldwings and the aftermarket went crazy with chrome add-ons. Less is more has always been my approach.

Thanks also, Pete, for the kind words.

SleepyC, I encourage anyone to pick up a paint gun. Pete, Chuck, Ed, Bill, and many others on this site do their own painting and have done it very well.
                      1979 GS1000S,

Comment

The HHR is a cool ride. Too bad about it's fate, Bill. They were right there during that whole neo-retro thing. Some people don't want to acknowledge these cars led to the return of the new Mustang, Challenger and Camaro.

Although it's hard to tell, I got the silver all scuffed today. Tape protects moldings, chrome and bumpers.

Sanding each and every tooth of that grill was a challenge to one's sanity..

I drove this car w/o a front license plate for about 4 years..after getting stopped for it multiple times, I relented and found an aftermarket bracket that mounts it below the bumper instead of right in the center of it.

After getting it totally scuffed down, I cleaned and sanded inside the door openings. Amazing how much crap, dirt, and leaves finds it's way into cubby holes just waiting to be blown out onto a brand new paint job.

Ready for masking and painting..2 days early. I'm pretty stoked about how it went. Can't wait to paint it.
                        This may have been covered elsewhere, but what wheels are you using? I'm probably going to buy a low mileage PT and have always liked the way solid wheels look on them.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          This may have been covered elsewhere, but what wheels are you using? I'm probably going to buy a low mileage PT and have always liked the way solid wheels look on them.
                          I bought these wheels from a company in California called Wheelsmith. These were the first set for a PT Cruiser he made. The're 16" Smoothies. The caps and wheel trim were/are also available through his business. I think I paid around $600 for the set, but that was almost 20 years ago. They also came bare steel so they need to be painted or powder coated.
                          1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I bought these wheels from a company in California called Wheelsmith. These were the first set for a PT Cruiser he made. The're 16" Smoothies. The caps and wheel trim were/are also available through his business. I think I paid around $600 for the set, but that was almost 20 years ago. They also came bare steel so they need to be painted or powder coated.
                            Looking that company up. Thanks!
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Looks like they may not be around any longer?
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X