Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, 1981 GS450(S?) - USA

Hello all,

I am new here and heard it was a great place for GS owners. I recently bought a project 1981 GS450S, according to the VIN lookup. VIN: JS1GL51A2B2104923

I have a bit of confusion because when looking for parts for the bike often 450S is not even an option. For instance, on z1enterprises.com the only options are EX, LX, SX & TX.
    Looking at the brochure here:
    https://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS450_brochures.shtml I see E, L & S. This is entirely confusing to me and I am not sure which parts I need exactly and am unsure of the differences. Looking at the pictures on the brochure, mine does look like the S model, but I believe the front fairing was removed at some point. The gold on the wheels also tell me this. The bike did not come with the airbox cover.

So yes, I do think it is a GS450S but most websites don't even give me that option. Maybe you can see why I'm confused!

Anyway, glad to be here. I plan on getting the bike to a really nice state, including redoing all wiring using an M-Unit. I will be posting progress pictures and probably many questions.

I'd be very happy to have any information about this bike that I might not know.

Thank you
    1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Welcome!

Try this site...I see your "S" model in there...

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Also, here: https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...cle_1981/parts

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 09-23-2020, 03:31 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

In those #'s & letters you see, the first letter is the model= E model, L model, S model, & T model, the X means it is an "81" year model. You're almost correct, it's would actually be a GS450SX. There's a section on this site called Model information, gives it all. Learning your way around this site will be a great help to you. Welcome & good luck with the project
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        In those #'s & letters you see, the first letter is the model= E model, L model, S model, & T model, the X means it is an "81" year model. You're almost correct, it's would actually be a GS450SX. There's a section on this site called Model information, gives it all. Learning your way around this site will be a great help to you. Welcome & good luck with the project
        wow thank you
        1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Comment

Largo FL.....spent many a day there, back when I used to go on vacations. We used to go to The Brass Rail, which was at Indian Rocks Rd and Adrian Ave, north of the Hospital. I'm pretty sure it's gone now. I still have a good friend that works at the VFW 10094 on Walsingham.
          Do you happen to have the original fairing for your 450S ? I would like to see a real one, they are very rare.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Looking at the brochure here: https://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS450_brochures.shtml I see E, L & S. This is entirely confusing to me and I am not sure which parts I need exactly and am unsure of the differences.
            The differences between the 450S and the 450E are the fairing and not much else. They all use the same shop manual with any differences mentioned. The differences between the 450S and the T orL are cosmetic...certain tabs welded to the frame to take the tank,seat and sidecovers are different as are sprockets and wheels and gauges on the clustert.. Much is the same..the engines clutches and much much else mechanical are the same.

BUT many online part suppliers have a "this part also suits these other bikes" note. Look for this to discover the differences.

example: carb diaphragm

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS450ST 1981 (X) USA (E03)

take the Suzuki part number and look for it wherever. but it's unlikely any cosmetic bits like sidecovers or fairing are available outside of Ebay or a parts yard.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Hi I Have a 1981 450S with the original fairing. I also found it hard to get info.
              I did come across a review in Cycle World Magazine Jan 1980 page 62. If you go to google books and search Suzuki GS450s you will find it.
              As the others have said there is not a lot of difference other than the fairing and also, I think, the rear set pegs and gear linkage. The S also got gold colour painted wheels the E has black, both have polished edges. The S also had bar end mirrors but I am unsure if it also had the mount points for std mirrors. I swapped my mirrors for the Bar end ones as the std ones just gave a good view of my shoulders.
              I have an original workshop manual and have found partzilla has good reference parts diagrams https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...e/1980/gs450st
              Good luck getting the carbs set up correctly. I find mine is much as the Cycle world review great from 6 to 9k revs but stumbles a bit from 4-6k.
              If it doesn't have the original airbox be careful if you order a replacement as the 450L style airbox differs from the E/S and won't fit. If the airbox is in place it is very tight to get the carbs off. You need to remove the rear mud guard to allow the airbox to move back far enough to get the carbs out.
              A lot of these have been Cafe racered but I think you should just enjoy it for what it is, an 80's bike that gives quite good performance. Given the skinny tyres not great breaks and suspension it is quite exiting to push it along, it won't break, well mine hasn't and I thrash it most times I take it out.
              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X