Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada restrictive exhaust.

Hello fellow GS´s,
    I have found a ´new´ GS 1000 E but it lacks power.
    It is imorted from Bitish Colombia ad has the VM26SS carbs.
    Looking into the exhaust it seems unlike my previous GS 1000 E muffler; wich was also a 1978 model.
    It is the original exhaust system so i´m a bit ´baffled´
    Has anyone had eperience with downtuned Canada models due to environment rules ?
    Under no circumstances should both hands be removed from handlebars.
    (1977 owners manual)

GS 1000 E Canada 2.jpg

Seems like the end is closed...
    (1977 owners manual)

Comment

Has anyone had eperience with downtuned Canada models due to environment rules ?
      Not really to notice- we generally get "California" models. But for Europe, there are drastic reductions in HP, usually on bikes around 250-400cc that new restricted riders are able to licence.

Comment

I have read somewhere online that Canadian bikes were restricted in the seventies to meet tighter emission regulations.
        This could be ´squezing´ the exhaust gasses flow by rings or other means and/or changing the carburation; different needle/needle jet etc.
        So I would like to hear from anyone who has had the same experience.
        My bike definatly lacks power while it´s completely stock and in good working order (except from the restrictions...)
        (1977 owners manual)

Comment

I made a mistake it is not completely stock; it has a electronic ignition...
          (1977 owners manual)

Comment

It was always well known that Canadian motorcycle models in the late 70s and early 80s were less restricted than American models mostly because to sell their bikes in the USA they had to meet stricter California emissions. Hence, for example why the USA never got bikes like the Suzuki RG 500 (Gamma)
            No signature

Comment

I always thought the U.S. bikes had "more" restrictions. Hence the non adjustable needles in the U.S. carbs & the "adjustable needles" in the Canadian carbs. I never did it but always heard we could order needles for a Canadian model carb & it would have slots to raise or lower the needle, we had to buy & stack up tiny washers to raise or lower ours. Also never heard of de-tuning by restricting the exhaust on any bike.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                I have read somewhere online that Canadian bikes were restricted in the seventies to meet tighter emission regulations.
                This could be ´squezing´ the exhaust gasses flow by rings or other means and/or changing the carburation; different needle/needle jet etc.
                So I would like to hear from anyone who has had the same experience.
                My bike definatly lacks power while it´s completely stock and in good working order (except from the restrictions...)
                Well, since whatever you read on restrictions is false, you need to check on that "good running order" situation
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Okay, thanks for the input; i am going to check the bike ones more.
                  So the picture of the exhaust muffler is also normal with one end of the muffler closed ?
                  (1977 owners manual)

Comment

Could someone with a Gs 1000 E (1978-1979) please take a look at the muffler inside the exhaust and check if
                    the muffler is closed at the end as in the picture ?
                    GS 1000 E Canada ..jpg
                    (1977 owners manual)

Comment

@Big T,
                      I have read it on suzukicycles.org and on motorcycle specs.
                      Anything is possible with a 40 year old bike.
                      Maybe it went from USA to Canada before it came to England and then to Holland.
                      So it might be that it has California regulation restrictions.
                      It is imposible for me to find out.
                      (1977 owners manual)

Comment

There wasn't a California spec GS 1000, it is a 50 state spec bike. It will say so on the exhaust muffler.

No restrictions here, mine pumped out 84.3 RWHP on the dyno, it's stock.
                        Last edited by Big T; 09-25-2020, 11:12 AM.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hope this doesn't confuse things. Here's a pic of what is almost surely an original muffler from a sold in Canada 1979 GS1000N, the version with wire spokes and a single front disc. It doesn't have the same flat end as your muffler, but the hole size appears the same. Maybe the E and N models had different mufflers? Someone with more knowledge of the details might have an explanation.
                          Sorry

1979 GS1000
                          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Hey Dave, can you get a picture way down in there? Look at Petrol's first picture, it shows the tube is capped on the lower end, appx. 12" down in there. The exhaust gasses come thru the small holes in the wall of the tube. I'm betting yours is the same way. I think all the non "L" GS1000 chain drive (standard, "E", & "S") exhaust were the same till the 1980 "S" model, it was different, shorter & flat on the rear end, like the "L" models.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hello Dave,
                              Thanks for watching; that´s exactly the bike i have !
                              12215927.jpg
                              (1977 owners manual)

Comment

Working...
                              X