front fork covers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front fork covers.

I have to change fork seals in my 1979 850 GN. I also would like to cover fork tubes like they did with old Triumph Harley bikes . Any suggestions for covers? I used to own a Norton Commando and if you bought original covers they would last 20 years cheap ones wear out in a couple.
    Thanks
    joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

I am guessing that you are looking for "fork gaiters", the black accordion-type sleeves?

Are you looking to protect the fork tube or are you trying to black out the shinyness?

A quick search on eBay shows a BUNCH of "fork protectors", most of them are rather affordable. Note that if you install them, you will not be able to see when your new seals start leaking.

I thought about getting some, too, then I was introduced to a smaller shield that clamps to the top of the lower tube.
    This link shows some specifically for a Triumph, but you can get the idea of what they are and how they look.

If PhotoBucket is playing nicely, you can click on the link in my sig for my 850. You will have to zoom in a bit to see them, but they are there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes I had a brain fart couldn't remember. I wanted one that would last. If you bought Chinese knockoffs they wear an tear pretty quick.
      joepenoso

Checked out ebay don't know about quality this https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-Motorcy...6dffa2e1f78fb8
      is what I bought unfortunately from China but 2 boots for $10.00 including shipping is a bargain......I hope.
      joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

I just lift mine up to check for seal leaks. They don't always need to be permanently clamped at the bottom...in fact, if you do clamp them tightly, they will collapse from airpressure not equalising on the upstroke of the suspension and will need holes cut in to allow them to regain their shape.

Comment

I use a hole punch to put a 3 or 4mm hole in the bottom pleat.
          For the past several years I've used Volvo steering gaiters as fork gaiters - the ones fitted to the 440, iirc. They're not OEM Volvo ones, but aftermarket from a good maker and not rubbish. I first fitted them to the XJ9 when I got it in 2015 and they're still perfect. The same year I fitted a pair of ebay cheapies to the GS and within a year they'd fallen apart.
          Seeing that happen, I went on the hunt for more Volvo gaiters and snagged the last of a batch that was on clearance, the market for old Volvo parts having taken a bit of a dive, so many parts were at remaindered prices. Got enough gaiters to last decades.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

There are reports from some who have installed parts from Rancho off-road shocks with at least modest success.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ranchos are good. They are intended for off-road monster trucking or something...I have a number "RS1952" black but they come in various colours.
              Also "Shockmate SA 1997" which are black and suit my 33mm and 35mm stanchions ...a bit too long but I cut em off
              Also "Pro-Comp" from Amazon wich suited 35mm well.

of course stanchion sizes and lengths vary but good ones stretch enough. You can get cheaper than the ones I bought but ...yes, some ebay cheapies I bought were entirely misleading as to what they would fit and also cheezy vinyl or something: not-quite-rubber-as-we-know-it.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-28-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X