Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced trackday riders @ Donnington getting humbled by a world caliber rider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced trackday riders @ Donnington getting humbled by a world caliber rider.

The comments are worth reading too.
    Mostly about crushed egos.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Thanks for that one, Carter.
    That was amazing. Yes the corner exit velocity was amazing but it was the number of riders passed while braking that i liked.
    Great fun, and the speed of the revs, WOW.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yes, I subscribed to Sylvain Guintoli's youtube postings a few weeks ago. I really enjoy his track advice, but not so interested in his GSXR build, because I'll never have the money to own one.
      I'm not surprised by all the overtakes, you have to remember that it's only a track day. Most of or all the other riders are on older bikes, many of smaller displacement, all of them are riding at their own pace, only a few have his budget, and none of them have his professional track mileage, and finally his talent.
      Side note, it's kinda funny how he's picked up the local habit of dropping the T at the end of some words like; allot.
      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 09-25-2020, 02:16 PM.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The bang for the buck factor on modern literbikes is incredible. 200+ HP stock with handling, brakes, and electronics to match. In the GSXR 1000-R's case, for only $18K MSRP. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...000RZ.aspx?d=1
        Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
        2006 GSXR 750

Comment

I was surprised how many comments reflected on the advanced group getting left behind.

Not really a fair comparison.

My last track day on the 20th had me lined up on hot-pit, behind a older former Wmrra club racer on a Ninja 400 (Joe Pittman).

Not sure what he was doing in the intermediate group, maybe due to displacement or something else.

He was the guy who showed Robbie Peterson & Rich Oliver around Seattle International Raceway, back in the 1991 F-USA event,

when Kenny Roberts brought the Yamaha YZR 500's to battle litre bike 4-strokes. Joe was on an FZR 1000 at the time & I was merely spectating.

He was a very courteous trackday participant, knowing he could make a passess eventually. It was really an honor to be able see someone of his caliber ride around

& have the privilege to be actually lapping behind him.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Agostini on 750cc Yamaha: on-board video

He competed on a 750cc Yamaha, this might be his.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Giacoboner-partial wood for all the grey haired fans. ED & all.

At the end, as he pulls into the garage, appears to be Steve Baker's TZ 750 #32.

Wan..da..da..da...na...

Comment

Pittman was amazing in that race in '91.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                  Giacoboner-partial wood for all the grey haired fans. ED & all.

At the end, as he pulls into the garage, appears to be Steve Baker's TZ 750 #32.

Wan..da..da..da...na...
                  I saw that. Wasn't that Steve's number when he raced for Yamaha Motor Canada or is my memory playing tricks on me.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    I saw that. Wasn't that Steve's number when he raced for Yamaha Motor Canada or is my memory playing tricks on me.
                    I think that was his # throughout his career? Think he had that same # in the movie "Take it to the Limit" when he's rounding the hairpin at Mallory Park, way back when.

Someone posted this link before, I scrolled back to 2014, couldn't find it, maybe someone from another forum.

Exciting racing, commentary, (cheesy interlude music) & footage from nearly 30 years ago @ SIR on Prime Network. F-USA, 600's, 250's.

Comment

Fascinating Race Carter, the SACS vs F-1 2 strokes.
                      Were those 1100s burning alcohol?
                      Particularly interesting to me 'cause my track bike engine is a 92, SACS 1127cc.
                      I understand fully why Steve Pittman chose doing a track day on the new Ninja 400cc.

Comment

I think the Valvoline GSXR 1100's were running methanol.

If I recall Michael Martin's #96 & Chuck Graves #24 were running the hard stuff.

Not sure if Donald Jacks or Britt Turkington were running the juice or not.

Comment

The comments are worth reading too.
                          Mostly about crushed egos.

https://youtu.be/y8cmAwXAfgE
                          Guintoli has been putting out some great content this year. His speed on the completely stock GSXR was amazing, on the crappy OEM rubber no less. Calling him a world class rider somewhat understates his ability. He was a world champion in superbike, not just able to make up the numbers on the grid. His ability is at the top of the world class rider heap. Seems to be a nice guy as well and really loves bikes judging by his videos.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          I'm not surprised by all the overtakes, you have to remember that it's only a track day. Most of or all the other riders are on older bikes, many of smaller displacement, all of them are riding at their own pace, only a few have his budget, and none of them have his professional track mileage, and finally his talent.
                          Your track days look different than mine. Here the advanced riders to a man will have very late model sport bikes, almost all 1000cc or more, running aftermarket suspension, plenty of tuning and slick tires. Not many would be at much of an equipment disadvantage to SG on his bike. I agree that his ability is the big difference, he is just on another planet in terms of what he can do and what he is used to experiencing on a bike. He commented in one of his other videos that if you ever get a chance to be on track with a rider at his level you will be astounded by how hard they brake compared to everybody else and he showed it in that video, passing piles of riders on the brakes.

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          The bang for the buck factor on modern literbikes is incredible. 200+ HP stock with handling, brakes, and electronics to match. In the GSXR 1000-R's case, for only $18K MSRP.
                          A good condition 05-06 GSXR1000 offers about 95% of the performance of the new bikes for less than $5000. For most of us that is close enough at an even more bargain basement price.

My last track day on the 20th had me lined up on hot-pit, behind a older former Wmrra club racer on a Ninja 400 (Joe Pittman).

<snip>

He was a very courteous trackday participant, knowing he could make a passess eventually.
                          My experience in motocross was that the really fast guys were always polite and respectful of the duffers. I was on track a few times with guys that had single digit national numbers and they always left lots of room in passing and were never d!ckheads like some of the local hotshots were.

Mark
                          Last edited by mmattockx; 10-02-2020, 07:17 PM.
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1998 ZX-6R
                          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

"My experience in motocross was that the really fast guys were always polite and respectful of the duffers. I was on track a few times with guys that had single digit national numbers and they always left lots of room in passing and were never d!ckheads like some of the local hotshots were."
                            True, with experience you only recognize a rare rival, they're doing a particular thing better than you, so that's your only focus.
                            If you have any maturity, you're not gonna walk up and down the sidewalk pushing people out of your way because they walk slower than you.
                            Sylvain Guintoli is demonstrating his sponsors bike upgrades, he does so very well.
                            PS: It bores me that he hasn't done any work on his own bike, just paid others to bolt on and adjust common knowledge brand name upgrade parts.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-02-2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                              Calling him a world class rider somewhat understates his ability. Mark
                              I thought titling it that way, allowed the viewer to not have any preconceived notions about what they were about to watch.

I knew he was a WSBK champion, but I had forgotten about the World Endurance title he was apart of.

Do you do trackdays in Alberta or BC? Been wanting to try Area 27, but obviously have to wait till if/when the border opens.

Comment

Working...
                              X