loose damper springs in clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loose damper springs in clutch basket

Has anybody ever put washers for shims in there to take up the slack in damper springs that can slide back and forth? If so, what keeps them from flying out? What else can be done. Or, is it even a concern? Thanks.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

If I remember correctly, the heavier springs had a little loose motion, even tho there were spacers in them to take up some of the slack. Those spacers had a nub that poked down into the center of the spring to keep it from coming out. The weaker springs should fit tight without spacers. Might could grind the edges off a washer so it would slide down in there, then weld the washer to the backing plate, but I would probably rather leave it like it is, as I don't think it hurts anything. That being said, I don't remember seeing heavier, beefed up clutch hubs with any free play in the springs.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I made a video.
      Current Bikes:

Comment

I asked a while back if anyone knew a part number for the springs and noone seemed to know. If anyone does know it please post it...thanks
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

SPS GSX1100 Clutch Rebuild Kit. Shock Springs and Rivets. Suzuki Performance Spares, your premier source for quality new and used motorcycle parts.

Clutch baskets and Rebuild Kits parts. Suzuki Performance Spares, your premier source for quality new and used motorcycle parts.
          Last edited by Nessism; 09-25-2020, 09:43 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just went & dug out a couple of my old clutch hubs. Not sure if GS1100 or GS1150, but a little different from your picture, but basically the same. In my OEM hub, the leading spring, in the 3 sets of 2, is a heavier, shorter spring with a spacer at the leading edge, a slight amount of play but not as much as yours seems to have. the 3 trailing springs are of lighter stock but longer & have no spacers nor free play at all. All 3 sets are equal in size shape & free play. My other is a billet, heavier plate heavier springs all around & no free play in any of them. Yours does look off kilter, one set the leading spring has no free play, another set the trailing has no free play & the other set both have a lot of free play. That can't be right. What's that hub off of, your GSX1100G?
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I guess I should have said this is from my 2001 Yamaha FZ1. I just noticed that the ones with slop have 1 less winding than the two that are tight.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

My skunk has washers added. I broke it open by grinding the top off the rivets with a dremel, added washers & clamped it with the help of Nessism & then found a local tig welder to button it up for $25...

I posted pictures here somewhere, they are in my photobucket account if you can see them...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Chasing the same rattle in my '82 GK.I have a 83(84?) wrecked spares bike that I removed the clutch basket from. There are differences - the 82 has, cast into the basket trailing the "Made in Japan" message is K1. This basket has three heavy springs (with spacer) and three lighter springs. All are loose.The later basket is a K2 and this one has 6 heavy springs - still three with the spacer and three without. From the condition of the rivets it has not been taken apart. The K2 basket springs are much tighter so this one was installed. Still rattles but I dont think it is as bad as before.

Comment

Working...
                  X