• Show
Clear All

Looking GREAT!!!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks! The CB was 99% complete and unmolested, so it's been nice to grab the parts in ziplocs and assemble without a bunch of missing stuff. Unlike the Norton N15CS.... for which I just got a set of Whitworth wrenches and sockets and a Chilton's from member Ourgang.

Since it transitioned to a pile of parts my son can't get enough of it. It fits him better than me, and he says I look like a goofy giant on the bike. Gee thanks son! I can see him on the CB and me on the GS1100E in our future. I'll make sure it rides and stops really well. My friend has a dual disc setup on his '74 and has me thinking about that. He also has the sunrise orange flake tank and side covers, with patina and dings but not too bad, and he's going to loan them to me while I work on mine - a big task I'm still researching.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Brake work today, master cylinder and caliper with new OEM parts, all in great shape, and mounted the speedo and tach I refurbished with new faces.

The GS will be getting some love soon, now that the brakes are done on it it's time to ride and do a compression check, start on the top end job.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Great how-to tutorial on the dual disc conversion.
          Along with better stopping it is a favourite look of mine.
          Check it out... I pulled this from: http://www.anubiscycle.com/cb750-dual-disc-brake-install.htm This is how Im gonna set up my front brakes for my cb750 from single disk brake to duals.. I thought I might share: We are going to demystify the Honda CB 750 Dual Disc Brake conversion and make...
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Turn, oil, neutral and hi-beam. The golden age of motorcycles in America. CBs and KZs.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The CB is really close now, I scored some nice original shocks and fenders with near perfect chrome, and some other bits to use as spares. My tank was too beat up, and I decided to look for a replacement. A guy on another forum is restoring his to show condition and he has a tank with some pin holes in the top forward area near the neck - hardly visible. I will seal that area and touch up the outside. It had one dent but he had it fixed professionally by a paintless dent remover and it looks beautiful. He didn't even notice the pinholes until he smelled gas after a ride. Neither did the dent fixer. I'm hopeful that sealant will work OK.

Other than that it is like new, off a garaged 5K mile bike. He is giving it to me for shipping cost. The color is from '75, candy apricot red - which is my favorite. So it's not a '73 color but I'm fine with that, it will look spectacular. He sold the side covers unfortunately so I have to repaint mine to match, which won't be cheap or easy, but is doable. Hope to have tank soon.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

All looks great.

Tell us about renewing the gage faces.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Agree with Redman, nice looking for sure! One of the reasons I prefer the survivor look is due to do my lack of "Situational Awareness" when it comes to keeping things looking pristine. An extra bang, ding or scratch doesn't hurt too much when I keep it that way.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks, Redman. I took them apart and the faces were faded and warped from the California sun, so I got replacements from cb750faces.com in the UK at $53 delivered. Quite pleased with them. Then I spray painted the needles white and dipped the ends in some fluorescent orange model paint I had, and brushed on some silver inside the center of the needle. The retaining bands were tricky to get off and put back on, and they aren't perfect but they look fine. I painted the housings with VHT semi-gloss, baked in oven and cut/polished with Meguiars.

I just picked up some nice fenders for cheap, had to do some work to adapt what was a CB450 fender to my brackets. Also replaced pitted rear fender and a really good set of original shocks. Some pics of gauges and fender/shock work in progress.

My Avon is on in wrong direction, need to remount. I was in a hurry and told the shop how it mounted but had too much on my mind. I will remount myself.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    All looks great.

Tell us about renewing the gage faces.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 12-08-2020, 11:07 PM.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

On the CB (no GS content sorry!) I got a $20 fender from a CB450 which is much better than mine, and ground off the rivets attaching the bracket to swap and make it fit, since the fender part is the same. I used chrome allen head round top bolts and nylock nuts from the hardware store, and they look fine. Cheap and effective upgrade to a pitted fender. I also got a bunch of parts including rear fender for cheap, and now my chrome is pretty decent. Not show quality but a 5 footer now, well at least with my old eyes. I got really good original shocks too with the pile of parts.

I have a really nice tank on the way which isn't orange and isn't for a '73 but the price was right.. free. It's a beautiful red. Pics will follow when it arrives. It's very nice but has some pin holes and the guy was after perfection. He sold the side covers to a guy on eBay who is flipping them, so I hope to win them and reunite the parts. They're candy apricot red off a '75 which is my favorite color. I don't care that it won't be a '73 color, purists can scoff but I like what I like.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 12-12-2020, 09:03 PM.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Your bike looks great!

I'm not a purist but I like what I see. The photos are crystal clear and your parts are pristine!

The single front disc and rear drum make me appreciate my bike.

The spoke wheels add that magic touch!

Chrome only looks good on vintage bikes.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks. I may put a 2nd disc on the front. I had a '76 CB750 and it stopped reasonably well (except in the rain!), but took a strong squeeze and felt wooden. First rear disc I tried was my friend's '82 GS1100E and it made an impression.... you mean the rear brake slows you down? To this day I haven't ridden a bike with a better rear brake. I have put the best quality pads and shoes on this one, and will see how it goes. New brake lines and rebuilt MC and caliper with OEM Honda parts too. I hope to have it on the road by Christmas, just waiting on the last little bits.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Your bike looks great!

I'm not a purist but I like what I see. The photos are crystal clear and your parts are pristine!

The single front disc and rear drum make me appreciate my bike.

The spoke wheels add that magic touch!

Chrome only looks good on vintage bikes.

Ed

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                            Thanks. I may put a 2nd disc on the front. I had a '76 CB750 and it stopped reasonably well (except in the rain!), but took a strong squeeze and felt wooden. First rear disc I tried was my friend's '82 GS1100E and it made an impression.... you mean the rear brake slows you down? To this day I haven't ridden a bike with a better rear brake. I have put the best quality pads and shoes on this one, and will see how it goes. New brake lines and rebuilt MC and caliper with OEM Honda parts too. I hope to have it on the road by Christmas, just waiting on the last little bits.
                            I have the entire front end of a 1982 GS1100 with dual disc...the discs are smaller than the single front disc...but, two discs are better than one, right?

Unless I had to make an emergency stop, I don't really use the rear brakes. That's why I'm not too concerned with having a rear drum brake.

Can't wait to see how you finish your build!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Bike is looking great, Tom!

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              Unless I had to make an emergency stop, I don't really use the rear brakes. That's why I'm not too concerned with having a rear drum brake.
                              Rear brake can be pretty handy for mid turn braking.
                              Good way to scrub off speed if you enter a little hot, without transferring weight to the front end.

However, at all the track days I've done, they said NO! No rear brake ever....
                              Last edited by Baatfam; 12-13-2020, 08:37 AM.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Love those rear shocks. Look almost identical to the ones on my '73 CB350.

No rear brake at the track?
                                I am going to need it to control my victory lap wheelie down the front stretch.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X