No announcement yet.

Doing up a '73 CB750K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On rear brake usage, I remember how awkward I was at low speed maneuvers when first riding big street bikes, with foot dabs etc before I knew to use the rear brake as an anchor, modulating clutch and throttle. I also do use the rear on the street at pretty much every stop, it's just habit I suppose, gained from riding old British bikes with terrible single leading shoe front brakes perhaps. Or my 1951 BMW with sidecar, man that thing was a white knuckle ride. Then there's dirt biking... So my brain is well trained to use the rear and know the feel of breakaway.

I knew my son would love bikes as soon as I got my Ducati, when he was about 10. Now he's of the age to start riding, and of course I'm worried. He is primarily interested in a dual sport to get to the hills and says he won't ride much on street, but we'll see. He is crazy good on a mountain bike and is sensible and careful, knows his limits. To prep him I got a Cardo and every time we rode together I told him everything I was doing and why. I think my main survival technique is to create space, use the bike's power to get free of traffic and find that gap. But of course there are tons of little things too that all add up.

Now he watches zillions of riding tips on YouTube and knows quite a bit from that, but real world awaits. About all I had were some books, one being Harry Hurt's landmark book, handed down from my brother who has been riding 50 years, with one crash, knock wood. One more than me but I've only got 42 under my belt... again, knock wood.

I let my son ride the XT350 I got him up and down the cul-de-sac to get the hang of it, and we also did a fantastic day together in Ocotillo wells, me on a YZ250 and him on a Honda 150. He was really good.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Got my tank, need side covers. There is rust inside so I have to be careful to get this one sorted. It was basically free for shipping so I took the chance. It's not a '73 color but it is my favorite CB750 color and I don't care, do you?

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Looks great, Tom.
        Like the lower handelbars.

How much are reproduction exhaust systems? $2000?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, yeah originals are way out of reach for me, it's an $800 bike with another $1200 put in, I can't see doubling that for pipes, though they sure would look nice.
          The MAC is what I had on my last CB750, a 76 I had from 1991-94. While they don't look as good as the 4 into 4s, obviously, they do the job and have symmetry at least. And they have a nice rasp. The down pipes on the bike were pretty bad except one of them, and I found a set of three, luckily replacing the worst three of mine, on eBay for about $50. I got the MAC slip-ons for about $220 on clearance, so I'm happy to have a decent sound and look, but of course would love to stumble upon some 4 into 4's. I hope to be riding the Honda before the new year, and then I'll turn my attention to my '66 Norton N15CS, which will be more of a challenge.

Originally this bike might have been either flake sunrise orange which is iconic but perhaps over represented (I like but can't afford), bacchus olive green (OK if a bit bland) or maxim brown mettalic (not a fan). I could get repro stuff for $1300 to $1500 but not having such deep pockets, I found a tank from a '75 in the color I like best, and can get some side covers for about $300. Still spendy but within reach.

I got somewhat spoiled by the amazing condition of m GS turbo but that was a once in a lifetime score, I can't expect that level of awesome to drop on my lap every day.

[QUOTE=steve murdoch;2633834]Looks great, Tom.
          Like the lower handelbars.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 12-18-2020, 11:59 PM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

First startup today! https://youtu.be/omwEqGTRHsM
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Bootiful!
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

A little carb tuning and around the block you go. Very nice.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yep, thanks my old motion pro manometer with mercury is at the ready. I was lazy and figured it was a 'ran when parked' bike so I just filed the old points down, checked the gap and made sure the old caps were on the plug wires reasonably securely. Lots of room for improvement but wanted to fire it up and it didn't take long. It actually settled into a decent idle and had crisp throttle response. Carbs were cleaned in ultrasonic and rebuilt so I'm happy to hear it run. I will take some time to tune it up and take off non op, give a call to Hagerty etc.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  A little carb tuning and around the block you go. Very nice.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I put a cosmetically worse tank on as I'm fixing up the red one, it's a friend's. I de-rusted it and rebuilt the petcock and put a new cap seal on it so it's ready for his '74 'bagger' style if he ever finishes it.... I had to solder up one of the carb bowl overflow tubes as it had a crack and was leaking. Now it's good to go, taking off non-op status. It shifts and brakes well, the carbs are only bench synced and it's running with old crusty plug wires/caps and points, so there is room for improvement, but it runs, that's the first step.

Not sure how to make the youtube preview work on this editor, trying the Insert Video way.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Great day today, took Honda CB for a ride and all is good, bedding in the brakes and fine tuning the carbs etc. No leaks, handles and rides well. I also got some racks to store parts on and organized my junk. I will have a pile of 79 GS850G parts to add next week, a freebie bike. I am just running the Honda with a friend's tank that I cleaned out while I prep the better one and await side covers.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I see 1 and 1/3 empty shelves....so what's the next project.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I should be stocking shelves with the rest of that freebie GS850G when I get the stuff next week. I will be giving the stuff away basically, with first dibs to members here!

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          I see 1 and 1/3 empty shelves....so what's the next project.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Re-adjusted the valves just to be sure, and synchronized the carbs with my old Motion Pro. I've had the mercury in a film cannister (remember those?) since about 1994 and it's travelled the world with me. I just rigged up my spare tank as fuel source after thinking about getting or making a bottle. This worked out fine. Then I took a 15 mile ride and it is sweet. Power is all there, certainly not in the GS's league but it's a nice smooth ride, and there are no leaks, shifting is fine, brakes work, etc. A really nice bike. I am waiting on reproduction side covers to paint the flake apricot red (a '75 color) and match the very nice tank I got cheap due to some pinholes I'll fix with Caswell epoxy.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well, still in a bit of color limbo but I have a plan. The orange loaner tank is mine to keep and repaint properly, and I have reproduction side covers. The blue ones on it are original and I won't paint over a decent original set. I found a good source for original paint formula, and it's not too expensive even shipped from the UK.

I had some concerning oil leaks but they were just due to the gaskets settling in. I took for an hour ride and no leaks at all. I set the floats more accurately by making a gauge, and that plus replacing one of the bowls that had a cracked, leaking overflow pipe has made the bike very close to perfect. I will just re-sync the carbs and be done with it.

My pal is letting me have his dual disc and braided line setup. It definitely needs better brakes so that update will happen sooner than later.

It sure is a comfy cruiser!

Last edited by oldGSfan; 02-04-2021, 10:55 PM.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                              X