Does this thing do indicators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this thing do indicators?

I found this mystery box dangling by my rear tyre, it was filled with water. My indicators have been wonky all day (not working, not indicating). Is this box responsible for that? Or does it dos something else?
    GS1000G 1981

It's supposed to. The rubber thing on it hangs it on a tab on the side of the battery box. It's one of the three wire variety which probably means you have a TSCU, turn signal control unit, about the size of a cigarette pack. The TSCU is supposed to turn the signal off. The wonkiness could be from either the TSCU or the relay or both or the wiring. Mine is disconnected and removed from the bike and I have replaced the three wire relay with a standard two wire unit still using the three wire plug. Water is not good
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      It's supposed to. The rubber thing on it hangs it on a tab on the side of the battery box. It's one of the three wire variety which probably means you have a TSCU, turn signal control unit, about the size of a cigarette pack. The TSCU is supposed to turn the signal off. The wonkiness could be from either the TSCU or the relay or both or the wiring. Mine is disconnected and removed from the bike and I have replaced the three wire relay with a standard two wire unit still using the three wire plug. Water is not good
      IS the tscu the box hanging next to it by the battery?

I am hoping that letting it sit the right way might make it drip out the water.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
        IS the tscu the box hanging next to it by the battery?

I am hoping that letting it sit the right way might make it drip out the water.
        Most probably. It might have a six wire plug.
        Drain the water would be my first attempt as well.
        97 R1100R
        Previous

Comment

If re-orienting it and draining the water does not help, be advised that you will NOT find a replacement at your local auto parts store. You will need the official Suzuki part.

Although this part has three terminals like many other flashers, it is unique. In all other three-pin flashers, the third pin is a ground (earth) connection. The Suzuki flasher's third pin is a control wire from the TSCU (turn signal control unit).

Basic operation of a two-pin thermal flasher has a power wire coming in and the 'flashing' wire out. Standard three-pin flashers have a timer that controls the flash. The timer runs on the power wire and the ground. The Suzuki flasher appears to have a small built-in relay that controls the power to the thermal flasher. The third wire grounds the relay, and is controlled by the TSCU.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            If re-orienting it and draining the water does not help, be advised that you will NOT find a replacement at your local auto parts store. You will need the official Suzuki part.
            But you can use a standard 3 pin solid state flasher if you are willing to give up the auto-cancel feature. Mine never worked, so I don't miss it at all.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
              But you can use a standard 3 pin solid state flasher if you are willing to give up the auto-cancel feature.
              If you're willing to give up the auto-cancel, you can get by with a 2-pin flasher.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So after forgetting about this for a couple of months, I came back and was convinced my battery was empty because the indicators didn't indicate. I was so confused when the charger said the battery was full when I still didn't have any indication. Then I remembered about this situation.

Since it must have dried staying for a couple of months in the garage, I figured something else must be going on.

I shook the unit and it had sand coming out, based on the amounts falling out in the garage it must have been full.

So I opened up the TSCU:

I found more sand and the innards of the TSCU.

I cleaned it the best I could with a moist papercloth, I didn't have any compressed air or isopropanol so I just gently dabbed it. The rubber coating I just washed in the sink with some dish soap and dried thouroughly. I used some steel wool to clean the contacts.

All clean and ready to assemble.

I am happy to say it works now. There is a little thing on top with some slight distance to the contact thing, I blew on that. The unit would also not indicate without the rubber casing, I am uncertain why. But now it indicates as expected. I had to leave it on for a bit before it started working, so wait a minute or so before concluding it doesn't work. Engine was off, so lower voltage and its probably only barely above freezing in the garage.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Sounds good so far, congrats (I think)
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                    . .

. There is a little thing on top with some slight distance to the contact thing, I blew on that. . . . . . .
                    I was going to say that the surface of the contacts, where the contacts should meet, are what need your attention.

When you said battery was empty, I think you mean it was quite low, as in really low.

If battery voltage is only low some, the indicator should still light up, but might not flash or flash slow.
                    If one bulb is burnt out, or missing, the total current draw will be less, and that will make the flasher not flash.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'm pretty sure the device you took apart is the flasher. The TSCU is about the size of a pack of Camel filterless smokes and has several more wires. Just so we're all clear. I'm really amazed that you could fix that. It must be really well made.
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

My 1982 GS 1100G (“Model Z” I’ve been told) has no turn signal control unit. There IS a flasher but it was so corroded, it is beyond repair. The part number for the flasher is 38610-49231, but I’m not paying $52 for a simple relay. When I plug in the corroded relay, all turn signals light, but do not flash. There is not a TSCU, OR electrical plug for a TSCU on the bike. I’m thinking the indicators aren’t flashing because the contacts inside the 3 prong flasher are corroded so bad....
                        The wiring diagram in my Clymer manual shows a TSCU, but again, there is no connector or mounting place for said unit. The connector for the flasher resembles a headlight connector, but when I plug in a $12 AutoZone flasher, nothing happens.....I’ll figure it out and will soon become the new turn signal expert!

Comment

Originally posted by Britgearhead View Post
                          My 1982 GS 1100G (“Model Z” I’ve been told) has no turn signal control unit. There IS a flasher but it was so corroded, it is beyond repair. The part number for the flasher is 38610-49231, but I’m not paying $52 for a simple relay. When I plug in the corroded relay, all turn signals light, but do not flash. There is not a TSCU, OR electrical plug for a TSCU on the bike. I’m thinking the indicators aren’t flashing because the contacts inside the 3 prong flasher are corroded so bad....
                          The wiring diagram in my Clymer manual shows a TSCU, but again, there is no connector or mounting place for said unit. The connector for the flasher resembles a headlight connector, but when I plug in a $12 AutoZone flasher, nothing happens.....I’ll figure it out and will soon become the new turn signal expert!
                          Have a look at Steve's post #5. Have you bought a two or three pin flasher?
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous

Comment

Working...
                          X