Another from Ohio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another from Ohio...

*waves hi* Looks like there are at least a couple from the Dayton area too; i'm sure that will come in handy some day. Lookin' forward to meeting some of you in the not-too-distant future.

Without further ado, here is my pile:

1981 GS750L. The good: running. cheap (less than $1 / cc). tank not rusted out. rear tire, rear pads and front brake lines somewhat new. carbs jetted for the pods (removed for cleaning / re-oiling) and seem ok (#1 slightly rich). The bad: just about everything else, haha!

Work already completed: new fuel petcock. oil and filter changed. broke four exhaust bolts. adjusted valve lash.

Work in progress: front & rear caliper / master cylinder rebuild. swingarm bearings and shock bushings replace. rear shocks replace. rear brake line replace with ss.

Work to be done later: total fork rebuild. head bearings replace. break two more exhaust bolts. remove six broken exhaust bolts (lol). de-rust and polish up the fenders / exhaust. de-rust and paint exhaust clamps. run through the wiring harness.

Wish me luck!
    81 GS750L 16v

Welcome. Come on down to the south side, near the Dayton Mall, stop by my place.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome. I am in Columbus, as is at least one other active member.
      1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Welcome to THeGSR.

Thanks for the intro, and picture.
        Looks like someone modified most of the L out of it with the flatter handlebars.

Seems like you are on your way to getting it in good shape.

I noticed that you casually mentioned the broken exhaust studs. To some folks (me)that would be a major problem. But apparenty you can handle it. Good.

Yes, a couple active members in Dayton. One has posted already.

Do update us on progress.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I know a great guy in Youngstown who works at a machine shop, and might be able to help you with the broken off exhaust bolts in the head. Look up Stormin' Norman (member Storm 64)
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            I noticed that you casually mentioned the broken exhaust studs. To some folks (me)that would be a major problem. But apparenty you can handle it. Good.
            Oh, i'm sure it'll be a big pain in my butt in the future, haha! Fortunately they didn't break flush, so it shouldn't be too hard to weld a nut onto the stud.

And I did notice the bars were not stock, which is good for me. Most of those cruiser-style bullhorn bars that came on these kinds of motorcycles were never well received.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            I know a great guy in Youngstown who works at a machine shop, and might be able to help you with the broken off exhaust bolts in the head. Look up Stormin' Norman (member Storm 64)
            Thanks for the tip, but that's quite a ways up there!
            81 GS750L 16v

Comment

Welcome!

I have that exact seat which was put on my “T” so if you ever need a spare...lemme know!

You're missing cam covers on picture side (right side).

The MC and rear brake rebuild ought to be fun. And yes, Stormin’ Norm can help out with the broken bolt.

Have fun!!!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
                Thanks for the tip, but that's quite a ways up there!
                Nah, I drove about the same distance from central PA to buy an engine from Norm and was great just to meet him.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sometimes you can get the guy to meet you halfway...

Shoot me a private message I'll see what I can do. 👍
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Howdy from Miamisburg - Do contact Storm64 (Norm) for those bolts if needed; I can attest to how great a job he can do
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Welcome. Come on down to the south side, near the Dayton Mall, stop by my place.

Thanks Steve, i'm sure I will...you're only 10 minutes away!

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      Welcome!

I have that exact seat which was put on my “T” so if you ever need a spare...lemme know!

You're missing cam covers on picture side (right side).

The MC and rear brake rebuild ought to be fun. And yes, Stormin’ Norm can help out with the broken bolt.

Have fun!!!

Ed

I took the cam covers off to remove the valve cover (to check / adjust valve lash). Parts for the brakes are on the way; looks to be an easy job. Calipers are already disassembled.

Speaking of covers, I also have the frame side covers, but they are in pretty rough shape.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      Sometimes you can get the guy to meet you halfway...

Shoot me a private message I'll see what I can do. 
                      Thanks Norm, I might do that!
                      81 GS750L 16v

Comment

Welcome aboard. I am located on the north side of Dayton near the A.F. museum. If you want expert help with anything, do go see Steve (haha, you thought I was going to say me....not).
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I was going to say, in your efforts please go through every single electrical connection and either clean or replace them with spade connectors. They get dirty and corroded and prevent good contact.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            Welcome aboard. I am located on the north side of Dayton near the A.F. museum. If you want expert help with anything, do go see Steve (haha, you thought I was going to say me....not).
                            Thanks, ... I think.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Thanks, ... I think.

Well, I guess I should have qualified that.....expert help with anything motorcycle related... Anything else I can't really comment on.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X