Turn off daytime lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn off daytime lights?

1982 gs650gl. Is there a way to turn off the daytime lights? Not too big of a deal, it's just annoying, and I don't want it to end up accidentally killing my battery.
    1982 GS650GL

Meaning the headlight?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

!980 and after models there is not headlight on/off switch. (79 and prior there was).
      Is also the same year that dropped the kick start. So if/when battery was getting a bit marginal, I got good at removing the headlight fuse, could almost do it in the dark. (Since then I have gotten better at noticing signs of marginal battery and replace it sooner.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

might i suggest there are better ways of dealing with this than making yourself less visible?
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Typically, modifying the headlight switch to turn off the headlight, also turns off 1/3 of the alternator.
          Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
          1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
          1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
            might i suggest there are better ways of dealing with this than making yourself less visible?
            This..... .
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

And there’s the little matter of what is legally required in your state.
              Learn more about Personal Injury, involving Motorcycle Laws You Must Follow in New York in 2019, from the attorneys at Napoli Shkolnik.

USING HEADLIGHTS

Daytime headlight use is required by New York law at all times. The law allows headlight modulators.

I found this interesting too:

HELMETS WITH SPEAKERS

A motorcycle helmet with speakers may only have one earphone.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-02-2020, 05:50 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Cmarino View Post
                1982 gs650gl. Is there a way to turn off the daytime lights? Not too big of a deal, it's just annoying, and I don't want it to end up accidentally killing my battery.
                Is it possible? Yes.

Is it smart? Probably not.

How is it "annoying"?

And, as long as your engine is running, it's not going to kill the battery. In fact, as pdqford mentioned, in the stock configuration, one leg of the stator was also disconnected, to prevent an overload on the voltage regulator. Since the headlight actually uses just a bit less than that stator leg could produce, the battery actually charges better when the headlight is ON.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  HELMETS WITH SPEAKERS

That's why I use ear buds....
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    SCOFFLAW!
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Cmarino View Post
                      I don't want it to end up accidentally killing my battery.
                      Am I missing something? How would the headlight kill your battery when the engine is running? The light turns off as soon as you turn the ignition off, so it's not like it has a chance to drag the battery down then, either.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

If you want to insert a switch on the headlamp circuit,there are at least two easy ways.... One easyway is to interrupt the path of the Yellow/white stripe (Y/W) .It supplies + to Hi and low beam using the Hi/Lo switch.

Specifically and hoping your harness is what mine is, Follow it back to where you should find a bullet connector...just where Y/W splits into two wires...
                        05-Light crop.jpg

Get a male and female bullet connector , crimp them to your switch's wires and use it to "interrupt" just there.

Another way is to interrupt the headlamp's ground.Right at the Headlamp. Winkle the Black/White stripe (B/W) connector out of the three-socket connector and interrupt there, using appropriate crimpon connectors.

I keep saying crimp-on connectors because it's nasty to cut wires. But suit yourself. Just think very hard about it is all I ask.

Yet another is to interrupt the Orange/Red stripe (O/R)wire at the fuse panel but keep the switch close to the panel under the seat if you can. I don't like another long electrical path inserted in the already long path.

Another way is to insert a relay on one of the above paths and power it from its own little circuit and smaller switch. This is useful where you don't like big strong toggle switches, which otherwise, you must have to pass the headlamps 5-6 amp current.

They are "illegal", unsafe if forgotten (Yes!) and all that but will help your bike flash up a little better as the battery ages. Or, you may have low-demand daytime LED running lights you would rather use...I don't know. But I have a switch on several of my bikes.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-02-2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          I found this interesting too:
                          HELMETS WITH SPEAKERS
                          Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          Interestingly enough, oHIo says you are NOT allowed to use earbuds (motorcycle or car).

Helmets with speakers are not considered earbuds, and are allowed two speakers.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's an idea. Tap the solenoid's Y/G wire to OPEN a Normally-Closed (NC) relay controlling headlamp power (Y/W). As long starter button is pushed, headlight will be off.

But use a GOOD "high VA" relay...

(a 3-prong turn signal relay from a recognized manufacturer MIGHT do it but check the VA specs and as NC...I can't offhand remember if they are...)
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-03-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

This still begs the question of WHY?
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X