Hot Cam in a GS850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
    Sometimes the benefit being just having done it and learned something by doing. It's hard to put a price tag on experience.
    Exactly this! Why? Why not?
    1996 GSF1200 — Pretty Much Standard.
    1983 GSX750ES — Cafe Racer Project
    1980 GS550E — 673 Conversion.
    1980 GS400 — Cafe Racer???

http://biketech7.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Chancho196 View Post
      Exactly this! Why? Why not?
      Glad to hear from someone who doesn't think it's a terrible idea

I haven't been completely talked out of it, still mulling it over. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the top end off, so the time to make a decision slowly approaches.
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

If it makes it easier for you to decide...I have a used set of Web 118 grind cams for sale. These are for stock engines and are considered drop in with no modifications. $250 shipped to the USA. Dar

Comment

Just for grins, giggles, and hotrodding purposes: would a shaft drive 1000G or 1100G engine fit in the 850 frame? Seems like that would be more bang for the buck than putting a hotter cam in the original 850 engine.
          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
            If it makes it easier for you to decide...I have a used set of Web 118 grind cams for sale. These are for stock engines and are considered drop in with no modifications. $250 shipped to the USA. Dar
            Dar, I'll message you if you don't mind.
            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              Just for grins, giggles, and hotrodding purposes: would a shaft drive 1000G or 1100G engine fit in the 850 frame? Seems like that would be more bang for the buck than putting a hotter cam in the original 850 engine.
              This has been brought up earlier in this post. Comment #6 and #9 in this thread I believe, if you wanna look back at them. The subject is definitely worth exploring. But again I ask, if I've got the top end open, why not drop a set of hotter cams in?
              Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Oh, second thought: since the 1000G debuted in 1980, it will have electronic ignition, so you will need to change all THOSE parts, too.
                Steve, the 79 GS850 also has electronic ignition, so I'm not sure what your getting at.
                Ryan

Comment

The weight, and the shaft. It wasn't built for that. But there will always be guys who drag race their lawn mowers and Harley Davidsons.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                    Steve, the 79 GS850 also has electronic ignition, so I'm not sure what your getting at.
                    Suzuki adopted electronic ignition for the 1980 model year bikes. 1979 bikes have points.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Suzuki adopted electronic ignition for the 1980 model year bikes. 1979 bikes have points.
                      Keep in mind that the 1980 production did start in late '79, so some of the 1980 bikes (WITH electronic ignition) will have 1979 assembly dates. Some people have mistakenly identified those as '79 bikes.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        The weight, and the shaft. It wasn't built for that. But there will always be guys who drag race their lawn mowers and Harley Davidsons.
                        You mean like Korry Hogan? Yeah.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Oh right. Thanks for the reminder Nessism. I totally forgot that the 79 850 had points
                          I've upgraded my 850 with electronic ignition.
                          Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Rob, can you expounding on this a bit. I don't want to do anything that will ruin the engine.
                            Ryan

Comment

Rob's just being Rob, which means silly. Nothing you are thinking about, if properly done, will ruin that motor. That cam set may make it less fun to ride, however.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                                Rob, can you expounding on this a bit. I don't want to do anything that will ruin the engine.
                                It won't ruin your engine, but it won't win you many races.

One of the few times I've been to a drag strip was in the early '80's in New Jersey (Atco?)
                                About five of us piled into my parent's car for the trip and left our rice burners at home.

The few times Harleys raced, if they weren't up against another Harley, they were given a few seconds handicap at the start. They never won regardless.

My friends and I were on one side of the strip. There were some vocal Harley fans on the other side. We were laughing at them and their bikes. They didn't belong at a drag strip. That's all I'm saying.

In the late '70's, I had some money from a lucrative summer job. I bored my CB 350 from 325cc's to 435 (the largest available). I put a "type two, off road" cam in it (the most extreme available). The dealer advised against the cam, saying it would cause un-street personality. I dug my heals in. They had to grind out the inside of the cam cover. It was nice, but within a year the bearings were shot, and I didn't have another $800 to put into it.

Is your 850 doing what it was designed to do? It may very well tolerate the hotter cam. It may deliver noticeable power increases that are worth the money and effort. This is for you to decide. Just realize that when stock GS 750s are smoking your souped-up 850, you were told that may happen.
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X