Deer in the headlights idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer in the headlights idea.

Idea is to light up the vehicle so the deer see it "looming" as it approaches. A good use for leds. I havent decided if this can be applied to a narrow motorcycle-you wouldn't want to affect your own nightvision...link
    USDA APHIS | New Lighting System Helps Deer Avoid Vehicles at Night

I just hope you remember to treat it like high beams and turn it off when another driver approaches to not blind them
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

So the deer are confused and not stupid. Who knew?

Interesting research. I wonder if it could help driver vs driver incidents as well.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Naw, I'd say stupid. It's amazing how many deer collisions are from the deer running into the side of a vehicle, not near as much damage, so not heard of as much. I had one run her head between the front wheel & frame of my ZRX, not good, & another ran into the side of the bed on my Dodge Ram 1500, no damage. Maybe a halo of lights all the way around could be beneficial.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Or we could thin out the deer population.....just a thought.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
            Indeed. Doe season 24/7/52 gets my vote.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I just hope you remember to treat it like high beams and turn it off when another driver approaches to not blind them
              No, as I understand it, it wouldn't bother anybody too much. It is just small lights shining BACK onto the vehicle and they needn't shine directly ahead...

I can see the idea that where a set of headlights is two "really bright things", while lighting up more of the vehicle's body gives it dimensions so the deer has some way to figure what it is and that it's approaching.

For a motorcycle, without appreciable width it'd be harder to implement ,but if there's crashbars or a fairing , an led strip might help.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-06-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                Not going to disagree. We have loads of them here. I've had plenty of close calls and three impacts.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

When I was a kid, there were absolutely none (0) around here. Now they're everywhere. From what I understand they're severely overpopulated most everywhere in the U.S. How bad does it get before there's some kind of relief?
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Deer will run in front of you or into the side of your vehicle in broad daylight. It don't seem to matter what the light level is.
                    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Build a wall...haha. It's the night riders (just watched Mad Max x 12) who are most at risk.

Had a deer/beer heading west thru Wisconsin, 7pmish in July, probably 65' above the road on a carved dirt embankment, decide to bank left charging downhill @

mach speeds, pause a millisecond, (deer in the headlights) before continuing across the highway.

I was doing 65 mph when this all began to happen, by the time the deer decided to do a 90 degree

turn from way up on the embankment, maybe 2 seconds - had elapsed.

Stealth camped immediately after that, as big crowd of deer were standing in the middle of the highway up ahead.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Deer and moose should be hunted to extinction! Forest rats. I hate those f'n things.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The way I see it, deer don't have a whole lot of experience with things moving toward them, so they simply don't know what it is or how it might affect them. Light up your vehicle so they can see the vehicle better? They might stop to see what it is, but they just might stop in the middle of the road.

OK, yeah, there <are> a few deer that might have a bit of experience. Of the few that survived, they are probably not sharing their experience, or maybe they are having trouble explaining just what those two bright lights did to them and how much it hurt.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

From the link:
                            "The likelihood of dangerous interactions decreased from 35% to only 10% of vehicle approaches when using a rear-facing light bar plus headlights versus just headlights alone. The reduction in dangerous interactions appeared to be driven by fewer instances of immobility or “freezing” behavior by deer when the light bar was used."

Whatever the theories offered as to Deer Intellect, a reduction by more than 2/3rds can only be good.

Comment

Remember the adage "We're from the government & we're here to help"? I think this study was done by a govt. agency USDA. Wouldn't be surprised if next week they had a new study "Drive at night with lights off so deer can't see you coming, If they can't see you they won't know where to jump in front of you. Who knows lights may work as good as those little deer whistles, they've been selling for 40 yrs, you mount on your bumper to scare the deer away. Got to admit I'm a little skeptical.

Comment

Working...
                              X