Dumped sump on highway: What me worry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumped sump on highway: What me worry?

Hey folks, it's been a minute. I've been loving my little 82 450L, she's pretty zippy.

TL;DR: Drain plug came out on the highway. Pulled over before much damage could be done, but what should I look for?

I was coming home today and noticed an oil spot under my bike, right below the sump. I poked the plug, and it moved! I was about 5 miles from home, so after finger-tightening it the best I could, I got on the highway.

About 1/4mi from my house, the oil light comes on, just as I hear the engine starting to slow down on its own. I knew what that meant so I pulled over and turned the bike off immediately.

Oil plug's gone, rear half of my bike glistens. At least my chain is oiled. After a quick lift from AAA, I'm getting ready to review the damage; what (if any) subtle issues should I look out for in the process of inspection?

Thanks everyone.
    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Hope some other biker didn't crash out after your bike dumped out a gallon of oil on the road. What were you thinking?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Finger tight drain plug?? Nooo, not a good idea!!!
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

What to look for? The 450 is a high oil pressure plain bearing engine. It just might be toast.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Hope some other biker didn't crash out after your bike dumped out a gallon of oil on the road. What were you thinking?
          I fear for this as well. I have no idea where it happened, nor can I really do much about it now. WRT finger-tight, I think it's reasonable to have expected it to stay somewhat put, considering that a) not a harley and b) short distance at non-resonant RPM. For future reference though, I'll just tow it if I ever come across this situation again (hopefully not).

But, neither here nor there. Best guess is that I hit something one day and managed to shred the threads for the plug. In looking at the fiche (and some photos) for the 82 450, the head on the oil plug looks quite a bit smaller than what the bike came with. Perhaps it extended far enough that I bumped something which raked the sump, damaging the plug? It was pretty proud of the sump fins.

Bummer. I don't know what other checks to do other than replacing the plug after doing some helicoil, then adding oil and trying to start 'er up. When an engine runs without oil, wouldn't the rings be the first things to feel the squeeze from reduced lubricity surfaces? Compression check perhaps?

Comment

Take the plugs out, take the timing cover off, drop a small amount of light oil into the cylinders and wait a bit. Then try to turn the crank with a ring spanner at the points plate. You'll know fairly quick. Even if you get it to turn there is the likelihood that the bearing surfaces on the cam, crank and balancer have picked up a little and will get worse. First for me would be get the camshaft journals opened up and see what has or has not happened up on top and go from there to the oil pump and crank bearings.
            Sounds like someone fixed the sump plug the wrong way.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I'd slam one of those oversize self tapping drain plugs in, dump some good ol diesel oil in the sump and go for it. Nothing to loose at this point.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Get your fine-grain paintbrush out and paint "Sump-Dumper" on the sidecovers.
                Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                1981 GS1100E

Comment

Ah man I wish I could laugh about it. I love this bike.

I can't tell for sure, how many crank bearings does the bike actually have, that is, how many babbit-coated crescents? 12??

I managed to get the engine to (stiffly) turn a little bit via the ignition advance bolt (points plate). There are small pieces of thin flat metal in the bottom of the oil pan that appear soft like lead, non-ferrous and don't seem like aluminum. Perhaps most parts are OK.

I'm thinking to try reaching up from the bottom of the bike and unscrewing the con-rod bolts, slide the bearings out and swap 'em. If I can push the pistons up a little, I could possibly polish the crank surfaces, if necessary.

Frankly I wish I could take the engine out of the bike, but my complex doesn't allow vehicle maintenance, so I have to be quick, taking small steps at a time between the maintenance guys roving around. Man, this stinks. Repair without full disassembly seems close to impossible and I don't have much to spend right now.

Comment

Originally posted by free99 View Post
                    Ah man I wish I could laugh about it. I love this bike.

I can't tell for sure, how many crank bearings does the bike actually have, that is, how many babbit-coated crescents? 12??
                    And then some...
                    Have a look here, not only crank but balancer and then the camshaft journals and and and

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS450E 1982 (Z2) GENERAL EXPORT (E01)

I would looking at sourcing a replacement engine. Bits on the sump is generally game over unless you have access to a properly equipped shop to tear down, inspect and a flexible budget to cover parts as needed.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Don't think about it as money out the window. Think of it as a lesson learned.
                      1) finger tight is not tight enough for a oil drain plug
                      2) A engine needs oil to live.
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        And then some...
                        Have a look here, not only crank but balancer and then the camshaft journals and and and

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS450E 1982 (Z2) GENERAL EXPORT (E01)

I would looking at sourcing a replacement engine. Bits on the sump is generally game over unless you have access to a properly equipped shop to tear down, inspect and a flexible budget to cover parts as needed.
                        +1. I would look for a new engine unless you have the time/space/money/skill for a full teardown and repair. Those small pieces of thin flat metal are probably the remnants of your conrod and/or main bearings after they seized and broke due to oil starvation. The crankshaft journals also may be scored due to oil starvation. But you won't know unless you take it all apart and inspect it.
                        Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                        2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                          Don't think about it as money out the window. Think of it as a lesson learned.
                          1) finger tight is not tight enough for a oil drain plug
                          2) A engine needs oil to live.
                          Point 2 is beyond obvious. Even if I'd had a wrench for point 1, it wouldn't have saved me from the completely non-existent threads. Somehow between my last oil change and now, only a suggestion of threads remained in the pan. Honestly, kind of surprising. Lesson learned, and at a poor time for it. C'est la vie.

Comment

Alright. Thanks everyone. I'm going to focus on my 1000, it'll be less work and I won't have as many constraints in its restoration.

For future reference: If you start having interesting issues like failure of a stator, check your oil levels and pay close attention to any leaks. I had posted a thread "where did all my oil go" a few months back, ironically. The signs were there of an issue building itself up. In spite of checking the oil every other week at minimum, resolving issues almost immediately vs trying to batch your repairs pays out handsomely.

Ride safe everyone.
                            Last edited by free99; 10-08-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

If it's any consolation I have two oil starvation service medals on my record.
                              Did the same engine a second time after a poor attempt at repair.
                              Should have scrapped it first time.
                              As Norm said, look on it as a lesson. Genuine experience is not cheap and nobody gets out for free.
                              The incident once again underscores the importance of taking nothing for granted on a machine with unknown history.
                              The back tyre took a bath and this thread could have been about something much more serious than a dry motor.
                              Last edited by Brendan W; 10-08-2020, 11:57 AM.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous

Comment

Working...
                              X