I went down yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went down yesterday...

Not on the GS, I was on the sportster. Car pulled right out in front of me. I was doing about 25 mph. I grabbed the brake and the car just kept coming. I swerved a bit to the left and the front tire hit the paint stripe. That's when I lost traction and went down. When I started the slide, the driver finally stopped. Thankfully, I never made contact with the car. The bike slid out ahead of me and I rolled sideways a couple revolutions. I've got some rash on my left knee and elbow. A jammed finger, sore shoulders, a sore rib, and a sore ankle. Overall, pretty minor injuries. The bike has fairly minor injuries too.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Sorry to hear about your get off....glad you are ok and the car didn't hit you...I feel your pain.

Take care and rest up.
    No signature

Comment

Oof, glad you’re Ok. You were lucky. Take care out there friends.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

They pull out even with eye contact. Back in the 80s Volvo did such a good job convincing buyers that they were safe there was an epidemic of Volvos pulling out. For a time you could buy Volvo repellent in an aerosol can. It got so bad that RoSpa got involved to help bikers. Leaflets were sent out in magazines with strange advice which has never left me.
        Brake, stay straight and upright, balls of feet on pegs, unhook thumbs from bars, just before impact jump as high as you can and take your chances with your gear on the far side.
        Since that time I'd say that average vehicle height has increased a foot and the average riding position dropped a few inches.
        Last edited by Brendan W; 10-07-2020, 06:25 AM.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

"YOU WERE LUCKY????? I see lucky in a total different prospective. Lucky is to ride along with no problems & nothing to hinder you. Glad it wasn't worse. Good luck.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Man, lots of folks going down this past few weeks. Glad you are okay. Heal up and get that Sporty back on the road.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I've heard professional drivers say take a witness with you. As it stands right now it would seem that you just went down on your own. You probably have to pay for the damage to your bike. If you had bumped the car that pulled in front of you they would be responsible. It's not fair but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                I've heard professional drivers say take a witness with you. As it stands right now it would seem that you just went down on your own. You probably have to pay for the damage to your bike. If you had bumped the car that pulled in front of you they would be responsible. It's not fair but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.
                Yeah< i was thinking the same thing...did the person driving the car stop?
                No signature

Comment

Glad you got away with only minor harm. Take care.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Having an accident at any speed stinks.
                    As many of us know even falling over from a standstill can cause a lot of damage to us and the bike.

Sorry to hear about your spill, Drew.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I've heard that too. I hope it doesn't play out that way. I do have a witness. The police did issue the driver a "failure to yield" ticket. We'll see how it goes.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I've got a gopro-clone running all the time now as a "dash-cam". ( a cheapie Victure for $20 that has a practical 1080p and a Gitup2 for $50 that's a wee bit better...) It's interesting to review when anything on the ride deviates from safe...
                        These are double-edged swords of course-they might show ME at fault. Mine just shows the road ahead-not the speedo ,and no internal gps. They can help other people and the police too as you might inadvertently capture other events.

Comment

Thank goodness there was camera surveillance at the scene of my accident from a nearby business...I too am thinking about having a camera on me...
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            I've got a gopro-clone running all the time now as a "dash-cam". ( a cheapie Victure for $20 that has a practical 1080p and a Gitup2 for $50 that's a wee bit better...) It's interesting to review when anything on the ride deviates from safe...
                            These are double-edged swords of course-they might show ME at fault. Mine just shows the road ahead-not the speedo ,and no internal gps. They can help other people and the police too as you might inadvertently capture other events.
                            I had a similar accident when a young lady shot out of an alley forcing me to abandon ship and lay the bike down.... I contacted ICBC with little hope as there was no impact with the vehicle.... The agent said she would contact a supervisor and get back to me..... The supervisor contacted me and after interviewing the young lady confirmed what had happened while the young lady steadfastly maintaining as there was no impact it wasn't her fault.... ICBC told her she was wrong. It was her fault and I got the settlement....No damage to me but they paid for the bike ..... The young lady thought she was in the right but told the truth which with no witnesses was my only hope ......
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              Thank goodness there was camera surveillance at the scene of my accident from a nearby business...I too am thinking about having a camera on me...
                              Trevor..it must be horrible to see that video- I can only imagine ....but I'm happier having one. And of course they can be fun too, revisiting a ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X