Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Yamaha FJ09 had a weird jealousy crisis about my 1979 GS850!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Yamaha FJ09 had a weird jealousy crisis about my 1979 GS850!!!

Yes well, I admit it, I've been mostly riding the GS for almost 2 months now, sorting all bugs and annoyances coming with this old lady...

So a few nights ago, I got ready for a full shake down of the GS, with a friend of mine who haven't had a motorbike for quite some time but who's interested in vintages bikes.

So my friend is coming in, I warmed up the old GS, we're laughing at how I need a wisegrip to hold the choke from closing.

I get my helmets and as we're ready to go out... My 2016 FJ-09 refuses to start!!!!! WTF...

This bike has always started right away, but now it's just cranking and doing no good. Then the battery dies...

I rolled the bike back in the garage and get Wifey's V-Star 1300 out and so we were good to get out, at last.
    It's a shame because comparing both the FJ-09 and the GS back to back is quite a thing.
    I mean it's about the exact same motor size, both are design with some touring in mind but it tells you how technology has been moving in the last 40 years.

FJ-09 has almost 40 hp more, around a 100 pounds less, moderns brakes, TC, engine mode, digital display and all...
    So it's quite a shock going from one to the other...

But GS is such a nice lady. Silky, smooth, buttery back to basics.

Ok, just to wrap up my story, I guess you guys wanna know what happen to the FJ-09?

Dead battery and bads contacts on the kill switch was all there was to it. I dismantled the switch, cleaned up the contacts, lube up everything, and it just sprung back to life...

God damn drama queen.

Frank
    ------ Current rides: -----------------

Honda CT70 K0 1970 complete restoration in progress
    Suzuki GS850 1979 as stock as could be... well except for the bars!
    Yamaha FJ-09 2016 with OEM saddle bags for long distance running and gunning
    Yamaha VStar 1300 2007 (wife's) for relaxing

That's why I always tried not to play favorites. When my Sporty was brand new, and parked right next to my 11E, I did everything in my power to avoid jealousies. I may have been lusting after a Sportster for almost half a century, but I always made sure I let Suzi know I hadn't forgotten about her big bore, inline four 7k rush.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

My FJ-09 lost it's battery on a very cold morning. New Battery was needed... It's amazing how good the bikes are these days. I installed cruise control and heated grips and it will just run for days. 200 miles per tank, 45mpg, it's as quick as my FZ1 but more capable for long tors.

Got home from my long ride this past weekend (2200 miles) and the chain is smoked , stock chain with 15K miles on it. Luckily I keep a spare 525 chain in inventory for the T120. Hopefully my drama queen is set to go by the weekend!

Hope the border opens up, I would love to come up to Montreal for a weekend getaway, been too long.

Best,
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Man, there's really been a rash of FJ-09s invading GSR garages lately.

But seriously, every time I ride my GS850G, I always have the thought "Dang, this thing is nice. I should ride it more often."

Yeah, modern bikes are awfully nice, but a nicely sorted out GS really is something special. It's amazing how well a 40-ish year old bike can work.

And yeah, the stock chain on the FJ-09 is pretty crappy. I bought mine with 22,000 miles on it and the original chain was roached. From what I understand, that's pretty exceptional mileage from the original chain.

Here's a close-up comparison of the low-rent stock o-ring chain from my FJ-09 with the MUCH higher-quality replacement, an EK ZVX3 x-ring. Yes, these are both 525 chains:

THICC!

BEEFY!
        Last edited by bwringer; 05-21-2021, 08:17 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

New Chains are soooo nice! Did the tires too...
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

No sprockets?
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I swapped the front. Rear looks really good still.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
              X