Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus, How many here have it & how bad

earlfor is online now Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    No, we can't. The president has damaged the CDC with cuts and pressure.
    They've removed data, and forced changes against the wishes of actual scientists.

Numbers are going up, hospitals are continuing to be a worry, and this thing has a lot of life (death) left in it.
    The bright spot is that we are getting better at treatment, so infection/fatality ratios is improving.

Check this out, as it is current as of today. The CDC link is over a week old.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html
    The virus is very much alive and doing well. Too many states without social distancing enforced, large groups allowed and very few, if any precautions in many states. Why anyone would think this approach would cause conditions to improve and infections to decline is beyond me. If anything, the situation is more widespread and worse than it was 7 months ago. I'm inclined to think the death rate has declined primarily due to those that are at high risk ARE taking measures to protect themselves. It certainly is not because of competent government management. To the contrary, we have had, and still have massive government mismanagement of the pandemic for political manipulation and gain. Infections are rising across the country and it's unavoidably obvious.
    I support entropy for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser View Post
    But not lately. Cases are through the roof yet deaths and hospitalizations are flat-lining (no pun intended).

I'm not making light of what has happened, I'm just looking at what is happening now.
    It is the third leading cause of death right now. (In the US) About 5000/week. Hospitalizations are up, and have been trending up for three weeks. Deaths have been fairly flat for a while, but do you want to bet on where they're headed, given the hospitalization trend?
    It's also important to look at data on a state level, not just the national numbers.

https://covidtracking.com/data
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

I suspect it's much ado about nothing..... I was in UK locked down for 3 months and everybody was being so very careful, and some got sick even died..maybe. Here in Kenya the people no absolutely zero about social distancing not much about hygiene and there's no cv19 here. Nothing.
    There was an American woman that I know she caught it at some time somewhere she doesn't know where and was sick for a couple of weeks in a hotel in New York. But that's it.

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Both our isolations are complete. Neither of us ever had any symptoms. Health dept. says we can't get it again, didn't say for how long, Also said, after 10 days without symptoms, we couldn't pass it to others. Both of us over 60 & have other health problems, sure a relief. Sure wish it were this simple for everybody.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    Both our isolations are complete. Neither of us ever had any symptoms. Health dept. says we can't get it again, didn't say for how long, Also said, after 10 days without symptoms, we couldn't pass it to others. Both of us over 60 & have other health problems, sure a relief. Sure wish it were this simple for everybody.
    Glad to hear you made it out the other end unscathed except of course for the 2 weeks of stress.

A recent release in my area from Health officials had the symptom free time period in regards to being a transmitter at 14 days instead of 10 days. They also there wasn't 100% proof but that it was UNLIKELY that a second infection would happen.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

It may be unlikely, but, according to the NY Times at least, several people have gotten infected a second time. Glad the prez is "immune."
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

earlfor is online now Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    It may be unlikely, but, according to the NY Times at least, several people have gotten infected a second time. Glad the prez is "immune."
    He isn't. He only thinks he is.
    I support entropy for all.

My town is somewhat small, about 30 minutes east of Asheville North Carolina, so I think that our smaller population has made it a bit softer hit here.

I've worked my small business all year. Mostly a retail parts store so I figure that I've been pretty fortunate to have remained healthy. At least, I don't think that I've had it. My primary care physician decided I've always had ADHD so with the new Rx maybe it could've camouflaged a lighter case. It's taken me time to normalize and not just run around as a one man factory. My Dunlop rep was shocked to hear that I was still a one man store! Said I've been out-selling quite a few of the nearby multi-line new bike dealers! I change tires too cheap so I've pretty much stolen 3 or 4 counties worth of offroad tire business, but I digress.

About 2% of my customers have entered with masks during this time, and many are so filthy that you can smell them come in the door. My sales seem to have tripled this summer with all of the people enjoying the outdoors. I haven't heard of any of my regulars having caught it yet.

I think one of our local nursing homes is in a bit of trouble because, at least as rumor has it, they'd been treating an outbreak amongst their patients as if it weren't there and just ignoring it until after people were too far gone. Hopefully just a nasty rumor

I've only known two individuals personally to have been confirmed to have had it. I guess that it's sparse here or that I just don't know that many people. A good friend's father caught it. He's roughly 60 but appears healthy as far as I can tell when I see him. Said he felt kind of crappy for 3 days but just kept working his farm and working around the house until he was cleared. The other is a friend's son, roughly 19 to 21. Damn near killed the kid. The inconsistency seems so crazy to me.

That said, your chances of death skyrocket the second you enter our local hospital. You won't meet anyone in the county who doesn't have a few relatives who have died from very preventable circumstances or introduced complications there. I'm a mechanic, I know that it's easy to imagine such correlation. I wish it were the exaggeration that it sounds like. If you get the ambulance and fire guys drunk enough even they'll tell you the same.

My wife's hospital is full again.
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Some blood centers provide an antibody test with each donation so you can see if you've had it. I've had 3 negatives after donating.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.