Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS850G with 4 into 1 V&H and K&N filter - what main jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G with 4 into 1 V&H and K&N filter - what main jets?

Hey guys, my 82 GS850G has a Vance and Heins 4 into 1 pipe and a K&N Air filter. And it's breaking up badly after about 1/2 throttle. I opened the choke during the break up and it got worse and fell on it's face so I'm pretty sure the main jets are too small.

I have not opened up the carbs yet but was wondering if any of you that have an 850 and slapped on a V&H pipe and an air filter.. what Jet's did you end up using? (Figured I'd save some time trying new ones)

Stock is as follows:
    GS850 (80) the specs are for the CV's

idle.................... 1050 +/- 100 r/min
    carb................... mik BS32SS
    id no................... 45120
    bore size ............ 32 (1.26)
    float height ......... 22.4 +/- 1.0 (0.88 +/- 0.04)
    fuel level ............ 5.0 +/- 0.5 (0.20" +/-0.02")
    VALVE SEAT........ 2.0
    STARTER JET....... 32.5
    PILOT SCREW ..... 3.5
    PILOT AIR JET ..... #200
    pilot jet............... #42.5
    jet needle........... 5D57-3 (the -3 3rd notch)
    needle jet .......... X - 6
    pilot outlet........... 0.7
    BY PASS............. 1.0, 0.8, 0.8
    MAIN AIR JET...... 1.7
    main jet............. #115

Half throttle is the needle, and the main jet had little effect
    Most people go to a jet kit, like Dynojet to get a better needle
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Easiest solution would be to go back to a stock filter and you can use the stock jetting.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Is your "K&N filter" a single filter in the stock airbox or is it four individual pods?

What baffle is in the V&H pipe?

Both of those will have a BIG impact on what jets to use, but a DynoJet kit will likely cure either situation.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Is your "K&N filter" a single filter in the stock airbox or is it four individual pods?

What baffle is in the V&H pipe?

Both of those will have a BIG impact on what jets to use, but a DynoJet kit will likely cure either situation.

Single filter in the orig sealed air box, and full baffle, The bike is not loud.

Thanks in advance.

3.jpg

Comment

There is a decent chance you may not have to re-jet.

The airbox is more of the restriction in the intake side than the filter itself, so nothing changes there.

With a quiet baffle, flow might not be much more than stock, so not much will change there.

At worst, you might have to go up one size on the main from a 115 to 117.5 and maybe shim the needle a bit.

I have a K&N insert in my stock airbox, along with a quiet 4-into-1 pipe. I am running stock jetting in the carbs. I think I still need to turn my pilot screws in from when I rebuilt them. They might still be at 3 turn out, they likely need to go in half a turn or so.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My sons red 1980 GS850 with a Vance and Hines and K&N filter I only changed main jet to 120 and 2 1/4 Turns out fuel screws. Carb needle jet standard position middle NO3. Have you the rubber intake boot/snorkel attached to the rear of the air filter box? I found when mine was not attached I had similar problems that you are experiencing. Regards.
              GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
              1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
              1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                There is a decent chance you may not have to re-jet.

The airbox is more of the restriction in the intake side than the filter itself, so nothing changes there.

With a quiet baffle, flow might not be much more than stock, so not much will change there.

At worst, you might have to go up one size on the main from a 115 to 117.5 and maybe shim the needle a bit.

I have a K&N insert in my stock airbox, along with a quiet 4-into-1 pipe. I am running stock jetting in the carbs. I think I still need to turn my pilot screws in from when I rebuilt them. They might still be at 3 turn out, they likely need to go in half a turn or so.

Excellent info thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ged View Post
                  My sons red 1980 GS850 with a Vance and Hines and K&N filter I only changed main jet to 120 and 2 1/4 Turns out fuel screws. Carb needle jet standard position middle NO3. Have you the rubber intake boot/snorkel attached to the rear of the air filter box? I found when mine was not attached I had similar problems that you are experiencing. Regards.

I will double check this! Thanks!

Comment

I used that setup on a 1000G. I liked it. Better than pods.

You don’t need to go up much. I think I ran 122.5 (stock 117), pushed the needle up a bit using washers and ran the air screws at about 3 turns out. I am at sea level.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I had that snorkel on the airbox problem and it indeed caused problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X