Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings - 1980 GS550E Winter Project

Hello,

I have been lurking around the forum for maybe two weeks now and I suppose it's time I introduce myself. I'm a big Suzuki fan. I've had a number of V-stroms, GSX-Rs, DR-Z400s, and now my first classic bike, this 1980 GS550E. My intention is for it to be my everyday street bike next year. The previous owner seems to have taken good care of it, but I don't really know its history or true mileage. My plan is to strip it down to the frame this winter and build it back up again like it was new. I'll be doing a full engine overhaul as well, which will be a first for me. I'll do my best to document my progress in the projects/rebuilds forum.

Thanks

1980 GS550E

Welcome.
    Well taken-care-of, indeed. Looks like you've got a great starting point.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Nice!! That looks very original and unmolested. Does it really need a complete strip down?
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
        Nice!! That looks very original and unmolested. Does it really need a complete strip down?
        Not really, but I need to find something to do this winter! It does have some issues that I need to correct such as frame rust, headtube bearings that don't move freely, one leaky carb, and the brake fluid seems to have been replaced with actual mud at some point. The complete tear down is because I'd like to think that if I go through and make everything perfect, it'll be just as good in another forty years. Also, there are some things that I would like to improve upon, honestly. The charging system could use some modifications, the suspension is awful, and new paint would be nice.
        1980 GS550E

Comment

Sounds like a fine plan - I did similar with mine. Good luck with it!
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Are there eng. problems or are you doing it for the experience? No way to be sure from the outside, but you'd think that eng. should need nothing more than a valve adjust. Heck those pipes are hardly discolored. Welcome, congrats, very nice bike.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Are there eng. problems or are you doing it for the experience? No way to be sure from the outside, but you'd think that eng. should need nothing more than a valve adjust. Heck those pipes are hardly discolored. Welcome, congrats, very nice bike.
              I only rode it briefly after I got it, but the engine seems to be in fine working order. The carbs were a little rich. I figure there are three potential outcomes of tearing it down for a rebuild: I find no problems and button it back up with some new seals and a lot of confidence in the motor, I do find problems and then correct them before buttoning it back up, or I foolishly break something and post lessons learned here to hopefully save others some headache. I'm betting on one of the first two!
              1980 GS550E

Comment

Another fine GS...I guess i'm the only one with a rolling turd-pile, hahaha!!
                81 GS750L 16v

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                  Sounds like a fine plan - I did similar with mine. Good luck with it!
                  Just curious and i have a bad memory, does your bike have the spoked wheels and dual discs?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to the site, trueblue.
                    I've seen that same mud in a brake system. Has a nice aroma to it as well.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Just curious and i have a bad memory, does your bike have the spoked wheels and dual discs?
                      Mine has alloy wheels and twin discs.
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Great looking bike to begin with. Good luck on the project, and welcome to the forum!
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                        X