Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

r/r questions: how to find out if r/r is series or shunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    They still put shunt-type in new bikes. Series-type are popular on this forum but other forums don't mention charging as such a problem...
    We talk about how the OEM shunt r/r doesn't last, stresses our wires/connectors and destroys the stator, however we're all riding bikes that are decades old, and many, like mine ran on their original r/r for well over 30 years and 40,000 km before I replaced it due to an overcharging issue which began only this season.

I've only had this bike for three years, and never opened the cover so IDK if my stator is original, it tested fine last month (and connections were clean without visible heat damage) during the r/r/ swap last month - the r/r was definitely original, surface patina looked like it was 100 years old. But speaking for the OEM r/r that's a pretty good run for an old piece of tech. We'll see if the replacement (or myself) lasts another 38 years.... hmm that'll make me 87.

IMG_20201028_1036406.jpg
    Last edited by Admiral Beez; 11-12-2020, 12:20 PM.
    1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

^^Wow that does look old and OEM! It looks like it was mounted in the weather which might have kept it cooler and extended life?...You wouldn't think the solidstate stuff would fail due strictly to age....mileage, and internal heat are more likely...but who knows? The varnish on the stator windings would probably age too, losing flexibility..but, I have some 80 year old electric motors here that still work great, so the OEM varnish might be suspect.

Obviously, I'm not happy with the explanations offered here about the failures - it's too specific to these particular bikes and I lean toward poor manufacture and design. Maybe the oil that gets flung onto the stator has a bad effect. THAT feature is not unque to these bikes but it is not general-my Honda and Kawasaki have NO oil under the side cover... That combined with the OEM R/R not being well cooled, or poor internal components of the OEM R/R...
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-12-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Late to the party, but... my 82 GS1100GK which I have had since 1991, has, as far as I can tell, the original stator and original R/R. I did have a charging issue when I bought it, which I traced to nasty connections from the stator. I replaced these and at the same time extended the wiring to relocate the R/R on the frame downtubes, just under the steering head. Remembering seeing the Zener diode on old Brits (BSA, etc) mounted up there and if that could keep Lucas electrics going, then it can't have been a bad thing. Hasn't hurt anyway and the charging system is still working
        I have since bought another GK (parts bike) which had a Shindengen SH532-12 R/R, but the stator was gone from that so no idea of the history, and last weekend got another 1100G which has a (I think) replica Shindengen - looks identical but without the lettering.
        Last edited by Peter#1266; 06-24-2021, 03:47 AM.

Comment

The Sh 532 is a Honda r/r commonly fitted to Superdreams, etc.
          As such, it's a shunt type.
          However, if you keep your headlamp on (and the switch circuitry and connections spotless clean) you can run a shorting / shunting type for years.
          Don't ever forget to switch the headlamp on when you start a journey as you may find a dead stator on your return.
          Just get a 775.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sh-232 Was my favorite. Fit perfect and never failed.

Sold a few hundred on this forum over the years.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

^^ and the "238"..all my Suzukis have these and of course the Honda too. They run cool, their construction is tough and design much better than the Suzuki OEM.

The SH232,238s etc run scrs on all three legs of the stator, which the OEM Nippon Denso did not, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                ^^Wow that does look old and OEM! It looks like it was mounted in the weather which might have kept it cooler and extended life?...You wouldn't think the solidstate stuff would fail due strictly to age....mileage, and internal heat are more likely...but who knows? The varnish on the stator windings would probably age too, losing flexibility..but, I have some 80 year old electric motors here that still work great, so the OEM varnish might be suspect.

Obviously, I'm not happy with the explanations offered here about the failures - it's too specific to these particular bikes and I lean toward poor manufacture and design. Maybe the oil that gets flung onto the stator has a bad effect. THAT feature is not unque to these bikes but it is not general-my Honda and Kawasaki have NO oil under the side cover... That combined with the OEM R/R not being well cooled, or poor internal components of the OEM R/R...
                I’ve now ridden 10,000 km on the replacement shunt-type r/r from Rick’s Motorsports and so far the charging is working perfectly. I’ve switched to LED brake lights and always run a combined volt meter/cell phone charger plug off the battery terminals, but otherwise the electrics are stock. I like how the Rick’s r/r is just swap in and go. I do wonder if the GS650 has fewer of the issues than other Suzukis that demand shunt type mods. Anyway, I can only speak to my experience and so far so good with the standard spec r/r.

1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

I believe that the SH775 was something like $45 directly from Polaris about 6-7 years ago. They must have caught wind of what people were buying them for and kept raising the price. I know there had been much discussion on the Stromtrooper forums about them at the time. Some folks initially thought that the Mosfet Shindengens were series type but soon realized that they were not. They are good shunt types. More modern bikes with 450 watts and more really needed the SH847.

I've only had my '81 GS650G for a bit more than two years, but had to replace the oem R/R about a year ago. I found that the oem charging had dropped from 14.0 at idle, 14.4 at 5k rpm to something like 12.6 at any speed. I installed a very nice used SH775 for about $70. Just barely made it in the original mounting spot on bottom of battery box. Eliminated the headlight loop. Charging went to about 13.9-14.0 at any rpm. I expected to see an increase at high rpm. The oem R/R seemed crusty and undisturbed enough to be original, so that would be 40 years. I'm leaving well enough alone for now, but have a new spare Rick's stator to install sometime. I still haven't tested the stator. I have no idea if my stator is original or aftermarket. I have read accounts that the same voltage at any rpm is how Electrosport stators roll.
                  1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by hank2 View Post
                    Charging went to about 13.9-14.0 at any rpm. I expected to see an increase at high rpm.
                    My motor with the Rick’s r/r now generates a steady 13.7-14.0 at all speeds above idle. So, it’s charging and operating well, I’m not going to worry about this.
                    1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                      My motor with the Rick’s r/r now generates a steady 13.7-14.0 at all speeds above idle. So, it’s charging and operating well, I’m not going to worry about this.
                      Your shunt r/r is making stator produce about 270 watts, when bike only needs about 160 to keep everything happy - this is a lot of extra heat generated in stator to satisfy the r/r’s hunger . It’s worse if you’ve gone to LED lighting. Look for a sh-775
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I tested a few that claimed to be series with Posplayr in the early days. You can't tell without hooking them up and a scope...... The SH847 is a larger footprint (I think it can take more power) but is essentially the same as the SH775 for our purposes.

I have a couple of the FH shunt type around for anyone who wants to go that route.... One is literally brand new.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          Your shunt r/r is making stator produce about 270 watts….Look for a sh-775
                          I get you, I do, and I admire and respect the evangelical zeal and technical merits of the SH-775 promoters. But I’m just not that interested. My original r/r and stator lasted over forty years and over 30,000 km. The new r/r from Rick’s is now on its second season and over 10,000 km now and still charging strong. That’s good enough for me.
                          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

[QUOTE=salty_monk;2671394]I tested a few that claimed to be series with Posplayr in the early days. You can't tell without hooking them up and a scope...... The SH847 is a larger footprint (I think it can take more power) but is essentially the same as the SH775 for our purposes.

From what I've read here and there, the SH775 has a max capacity of 30 A. Some say more like 29 A. More than enough for an old GS. The SH847 is nominally rated at 50 A. I know that the Suzuki DL1000 V Strom has used the SH847 for some years as has H-D. Not sure how many others do. Those using the SH775 on DL650 V Stroms were cutting it fairly close. At least after they went to 450 watts from 2008, on.

This website has been selling those as well as the Mosfet units and harnesses etc. for years. For those that may not have seen it. Prices are up there for the convenience. Lots of good info if you look around, like dimension charts and templates.

Last edited by hank2; 11-10-2021, 03:36 AM.
                            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Yeah TPO of my husky bought an upgrade from there and went for the Shunt type FH. Put less than 300 miles on it before I bought it. Not sure why, probably just didn't know any better. Easy for me to swap out but a waste of a brand new RR now sat on my shelf!

I'd not bookmarked the link so thanks for that, definitely useful to have!
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My Compufire Series RR is still purrring after 14 years.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X