Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 82 GS300L - Right-Side Drop Outs, Bogs, Stalls

The gs250 has a mechanical advance, and the gs300 has electronic advance. So no, it won't work unless you get the entire signal generator from the gs250 and who knows if the crankshaft shaft ends and covers are the same.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Damn, thanks Mike. Tempted to open that sucker up and see but I agree with your cautionary advice below. Will hunt around and see if I can find another first, possibly hit up that Czech site that Grimly suggested.

I wonder if the gs500 like the early 90s one might work too. It looks close and they made zillions of those things.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Quote Originally Posted by fbody_mike View Post
    The gs250 has a mechanical advance, and the gs300 has electronic advance. So no, it won't work unless you get the entire signal generator from the gs250 and who knows if the crankshaft shaft ends and covers are the same.
    GN250 box is electronic advance, too.
    Further to my mention, there are a few XS650s running well on these boxes with no problems at all.
    One or two owners have remarked how nicely they run compared to even their old TCI unit, which was probably showing its age.
    As far as the older points-equipped XS650s go, the work being done at the moment is to modify the older generator rotor with a magnetic trigger and make a pick-up mount that can easily be replicated at home (or someone will probably make a batch of them).

So, as it stands right now, the GN box is a simple swap on to a TCI-equipped bike, with nothing else needing done. That got my interest going, as I have a couple of bikes that might well benefit from a cheap easy solution to elderly ignitors failing at some point. Unfortunately, the prospect of simply using two GN boxes on a four-cylinder engine is likely doomed to failure as the built-in advance curves won't be identical.
    You can be sure though, that if I had a twin-cylinder bike from Zuk I'd be looking seriously at these.
    Last edited by Grimly; 11-14-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Sounds like this might be worth giving it a go. My igniter has 7 pins whereas the GN250 has 6. Any idea on how I would need to adapt the wiring to go 7 to 6 on the GN box?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    GN250 box is electronic advance, too.
    Further to my mention, there are a few XS650s running well on these boxes with no problems at all.
    One or two owners have remarked how nicely they run compared to even their old TCI unit, which was probably showing its age.
    As far as the older points-equipped XS650s go, the work being done at the moment is to modify the older generator rotor with a magnetic trigger and make a pick-up mount that can easily be replicated at home (or someone will probably make a batch of them).

So, as it stands right now, the GN box is a simple swap on to a TCI-equipped bike, with nothing else needing done. That got my interest going, as I have a couple of bikes that might well benefit from a cheap easy solution to elderly ignitors failing at some point. Unfortunately, the prospect of simply using two GN boxes on a four-cylinder engine is likely doomed to failure as the built-in advance curves won't be identical.
    You can be sure though, that if I had a twin-cylinder bike from Zuk I'd be looking seriously at these.

I'm guessing to use the gn250 box you will need two, one for each coil as the gn250 is a single cylinder.
    Take a look at the gs500e from say 1993, it's a 7 pin and the 500 is a parallel twin like your 300. Except your 300 is a higher revving 4 valve per pot, the advance curve may be different but maybe it won't matter. The mounting points and box size even look the same for the 300 and 500.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Hey Mike,

Thanks - good info on the GN. The 500 sounds like an easier place to start. Amazed at how much you guys know drilling down into this level of detail. Will start looking and see if I have any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fbody_mike View Post
    I'm guessing to use the gn250 box you will need two, one for each coil as the gn250 is a single cylinder.
    Take a look at the gs500e from say 1993, it's a 7 pin and the 500 is a parallel twin like your 300. Except your 300 is a higher revving 4 valve per pot, the advance curve may be different but maybe it won't matter. The mounting points and box size even look the same for the 300 and 500.