Carbs? Pipes on 2 and 4 are cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs? Pipes on 2 and 4 are cold.

I’m assuming this is a carb question and not ignition. The 850 has sat for over a year. I finally got my garage built in June and the 850 now has a cozy place to reside. Last season the throttle cable broke and I never got it on the road. This year I have been too busy to think about it until now. So when I start it... took a bit of time... the exhaust pipes on 2 and 4 are cold. The bike warms up, idles fairly well, 1 and 3 get hot...but 2 and 4 pipes never get hot... they warm a bit, but I think that is just engine heat, not combustion heat. Any thoughts?

My thought is that it's time for a bit of maintenance. The Newbie Mistakes thread as linked in my signature can be used as a guide.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Probably carbs...Usually plugged jets or enrichment-"choke" tubes unless the float-needles are stuck(is there fuel in the bowl?) You'll have to take the carbs out and at least take the bowls off and clean up in there...do one at a time to keep it simple.
      Or go the whole hog ,ungang them and rebuild all if that's your thing.

Unlikely it's spark because 1 and 3 are firing(1-4, 2-3 share coils) ...so, if no spark, it'd be limited to the plug leads, the plugs, or the plug caps, (these commonly have an internal resistor as OEM) Id still bet on carbs from here at the keyboard.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-19-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        Unlikely it's spark because 1 and 3 are firing(1-4, 2-3 share coils) ...so, if no spark, it'd be limited to the plug leads, the plugs, or the plug caps, (these commonly have an internal resistor as OEM) Id still bet on carbs from here at the keyboard.
        Wouldn't be the first time the coils supplied 1-3 and 2-4
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

from the gs850 manual,
          The sparking occurring at the same time in Nos. 1 and 4 cylinders presents no problem, and the same
          applies to Nos. 2 and 3 cylinders. ......

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            from the gs850 manual,
            Wow

You both missed, and made, Brendan's point.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm leaning toward carbs as well, but be SURE that you also check Brandan's "point" about plug wires. As he hinted, it would not be the first time that the wires were put on the wrong plugs.

Valve adjustment is rather critical on these machines. The specified clearance is pitifully small, and they tighten up with use. They approach ZERO clearance quickly, which leads to expen$ive problems.

You are lucky that you live in one of the few hotbeds of GS knowledge on this side of the globe. Contact bwringer (Brian) to see what ideas he might have.
              Since you WILL be getting into the valves for adjustment, feel free to take advantage of the offer in my signature.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you All for your comments. It doesn’t sound like there will be a quick fix. I will check the plug wires to make certain I didn’t cross them. I hope it is that! I rebuilt the carbs when I purchased it, but the sitting has likely taken its toll. Well, at least I now have a garage in which to work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Wow

You both missed, and made, Brendan's point.
                  yes, I wasn't thinking the OP could put it into a garage after a season riding that way. But on GSResources, there's always a way. Still, my experience with getting the leads wrong on an engine is a pretty definite BAD NOISE, not just "cold pipes".

Comment

Working...
                  X