No announcement yet.

1980 GS850 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had to split time between my GS and my XR lately due to cratered splines on my XR's countershaft. The Honda's engine is in pieces, and while I'm waiting on parts I was able to get back to the GS.

So I cleaned the engine up, and last night I used the foot powder trick to try and find my oil leak(s). The only thing that turned up was a rock hard o-ring on the oil pressure switch. I swapped that out and everything seems to stay dry, at least while idling in my garage. It's supposed to get into the 50's today, so I'll take it for a ride after work and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

PS: Pretty sure I still need a clutch. I'll make the call on that after today's ride as well.
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
    1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

I went for a ride yesterday and can confirm that I still have oil leaks. My cam chain tensioner is definitely leaking, so new o-rings and seal are on order. It also looks like it's leaking from the left side either at the base gasket or at the top of the left side cover. I replaced the side cover gasket previously, so I don't think that's it. It could possibly be traveling from the tensioner, so I'll fix that first and see what happens.

My clutch acted better, and I wasn't able to make it slip. But it's still grabby when in gear (feels like it doesn't completely disengage), so I'll have to look into that. I'll probably take it apart and inspect before I buy new disks.
      1980 Suzuki GS850GT
      1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

Resealed my tensioner, so it doesn't leak, but I still have a leak on the left side. It still appears to be coming from the base gasket, so I've ordered base and head gaskets and o-rings. Base gasket is back ordered, so while I'm waiting I tore everything apart. I striped the rattle can off (acetone, yummy), sanded and painted the frame. Did the same with the wheels, and I should have those painted and a new front tire on tonight (rear tire is nearly new, so won't be replacing that one). New fork oil and seals after that.
        Attached Files
        1980 Suzuki GS850GT
        1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

My gaskets and o-rings all finally arrived, so I was able to get the engine back together and into the frame. I've been able to make some good progress getting the thing reassemble. I should have it running next weekend, but I'll have to get the WaveRunners out of the garage before I can paint the tins. They've got issues too, so it may be a few weeks. Some photos of progress so far.

2021-04-02 16.12.49_Small.jpg
          1980 Suzuki GS850GT
          1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

And another since I haven't figured out how to attach more than one picture per post.

2021-04-02 19.50.49_Small.jpg
            1980 Suzuki GS850GT
            1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

Originally posted by twerth View Post
              And another since I haven't figured out how to attach more than one picture per post.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62668[/ATTACH]
              I use this service...
              Free image hosting and sharing service, upload pictures, photo host. Offers integration solutions for uploading images to forums.

Upload, get the 'full BB code' and paste it into the 'upload image from url' box. Don't forget to untick the 'save file locally' checkbox, as it never works for image files over a very meagre size.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

How did you attach the rear fender/seat to the frame. Currently in the process.... Nice bike.

2021-04-02 19.50.49_Small.jpg[/QUOTE]

Comment

The fender and seat are built directly onto the factory seat pan. I formed the fender using flower arrangement foam I got at Walmart, and then fiberglassed over it. So, it still hinges and locks down using the key just like the original seat.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Update on progress: My plan (at the moment at least) is to paint the bike red with black stripes outlined with silver pinstripes. Something similar to the picture below. Last weekend I finished the body work and sprayed silver for my pinstripe color. The silver turned out so good I was initially tempted to stop there, but it's a little too plain for my taste. I should be able to finish up the paint work this weekend, so hopefully I'll have some more photos to share next week. Fingers crossed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                  1980 Suzuki GS850GT
                  1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

Really nice job on the seat pan and tail section. I'll look forward to your paint scheme for it. The C clamps hanging by the tank kinda freak me out a bit..
                    Last edited by nvr2old; 04-28-2021, 04:56 PM.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                      The C clamps hanging by the tank kinda freak me out a bit..
                      That does look a little dangerous.
                      1980 Suzuki GS850GT
                      1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

BTW, thanks to Grimly for the tip on posting multiple photos.
                        1980 Suzuki GS850GT
                        1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

Originally posted by twerth View Post
                          BTW, thanks to Grimly for the tip on posting multiple photos.
                          Interesting... I cannot see them. Looks like this:

Comment

Hmmm. I can see the picture. If it's not working for everyone, I can repost.
                            1980 Suzuki GS850GT
                            1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

I can see the pics on my phone but not on my PC. Weird.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Paint is done, bike is back in one piece, and I've been able to put 50-60 miles on it. It needs a couple of minor adjustments, but it's running great and everything works like it should.

Since posting multiple pics is hit or miss, I'll use a couple of posts to show the final product. Here's the first one.

2021-05-02 15.34.33.jpg
                                1980 Suzuki GS850GT
                                1993 Honda XR650L

Comment

Working...
                                X