Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1980 GS850 Rebuild

I've spent a little more time tying up wiring loose ends, but it's still a little flakey. I'm thinking when I do a complete tear down, I might unwrap the harness and give everything a good inspection and clean up. As it is, it's the kind of thing that could leave me on the side or the road (or on fire).

I also installed the new manifolds. I didn't run it long enough to thoroughly warm up, but there's a noticeable improvement in the way it runs. Score!

I'm still at least two weeks from able to ride, so I'll go ahead and adjust the valves and then sync and adjust the carbs. By the time I'm back on my feet, the bike should be as well.

I didn't mention before, but this isn't my first GS. Here's a shot of resto I did a couple of years ago. 1983 GS1100es.

2018-02-03 12.44.53.jpg
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
    1993 Honda XR650L

Nice paint on the ES.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Nice paint on the ES.

Thank you! I did that myself. That was a fun bike. You really need to see the "before" pictures to appreciate the transformation.
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    1993 Honda XR650L

The ES was a one-year-wonder, pretty much like the '78 1000E, which was known as the "Skunk". The ESes that came here were all blue on white. Not sure if there were other color schemes in other countries. It is somewhat amusing to see the efforts that some will go through to duplicate the stock blue and white EXACTLY, and here you come and show us what appears to be a couple different shades of gray. Done very nicely in the stock pattern, it REALLY looks good.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The ES was a one-year-wonder, pretty much like the '78 1000E, which was known as the "Skunk". The ESes that came here were all blue on white. Not sure if there were other color schemes in other countries. It is somewhat amusing to see the efforts that some will go through to duplicate the stock blue and white EXACTLY, and here you come and show us what appears to be a couple different shades of gray. Done very nicely in the stock pattern, it REALLY looks good.
    I bought the ES in running, but pretty rough shape. It was blue and white like you mentioned, but showed its age. The seat had been recovered in blue crushed velvet, and the unobtanium gauges had been smashed. In my opinion, grey with a splash of color always looks good, so that's what I did. It was a project and I eventually had to sell it (wife say's I can only keep one), but it was fun while it lasted.

Back to the GS. I checked the valves late last week. The first one I checked was on the loose end of in range (0.07mm), so I felt pretty good. But, all the rest were super tight (now I'm more concerned about the one that was in range). I was able to get two more in range by swapping shims around, but I had to order new shims for the rest. They should be here around mid-week. I also found that my petcock has a slow drip, so I'll be messing with that in the meantime. I may end up getting a new one, but I'll try to repair first. It's slowly coming together.

Here's a shot of another project, also from a couple of years ago. This was supposed to be for my son, but he lost interest. What's wrong with kids these days?! I'd have been thrilled to death if my dad had done something like this with me! Anyway, I'm thinking about something similar for the GS, but I think I can get the proportions a little better this time. I feel like the tail is too short on the KZ. Learning all the time!

IMG_2665.jpg
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    1993 Honda XR650L

...and another from the side.

IMG_2671.jpg
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    1993 Honda XR650L

Valves adjusted, carbs synced and adjusted, tank and seat are installed. The only problem is that the doctor said I should stay off bikes for another month. But the weather was nice, so screw it! I took it for a spin around the neighborhood, and it ran great! A few things still need adjustment, the biggest concern being the clutch. It was a little tough to get into neutral after it had warmed up. Otherwise, it was a really nice and smooth ride.

A big part of the reason for taking it for a ride was to locate the oil leaks the PO had mentioned. I was afraid I would be looking at a base gasket leak, but everything looks tight and dry. The only leak (and it's a good one) is from the tach cable connection. The PO had removed the cable and plugged the socket with what looks like hard silicon. It's not sealing, and since it's on the front of the engine the oil makes its way everywhere. This should be cheap and easy to fix.

Another milestone checked off, and time to spend more money. Next step will be to get it street legal and put some real miles on it.

She's still not much to look at, but here's a shot I took after I got back from the shakedown cruise.

2020-11-14 15.37.58.jpg
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    1993 Honda XR650L

....and another one of my old projects. 1982 Virago 920.

2014-08-02 09.19.13.jpg
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    1993 Honda XR650L

Over the last couple of months, I've been able to put 50-75 miles on it, and it looks like I've still got an oil leak (leaks?). Maybe base gasket, but I was reading another post about the cam chain tensioner being a common problem. Once the weather improves, I'll clean the engine so I can pinpoint it.

Also, I'm probably looking at a new clutch. In addition to the problem getting it into neutral, I can make it slip in top gear at highway speeds. So that's on my list now as well.

My biggest accomplishments are finishing up the wiring repairs, replacement of the gauge cluster (old one was toast), and I've built a flat track style seat using the stock pan. There's still a long way to go, but I'll keep chipping away.

2021-01-23 10.57.06.jpg
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT
    1993 Honda XR650L

I used just a little of the engine dye and UV light on my GS1100E and it really helped, I thought I had a head or base gasket leak and it turned out to be two leaks from the half-moon shaped cam rubbers. Those leaks have mysteriously stopped, maybe riding swelled them, and the return feed to the turbo was spitting oil all over which was just an overzealous tightening that must have distorted the O-ring. Now it's not leaking, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by twerth View Post
    Over the last couple of months, I've been able to put 50-75 miles on it, and it looks like I've still got an oil leak (leaks?). Maybe base gasket, but I was reading another post about the cam chain tensioner being a common problem. Once the weather improves, I'll clean the engine so I can pinpoint it.

Also, I'm probably looking at a new clutch. In addition to the problem getting it into neutral, I can make it slip in top gear at highway speeds. So that's on my list now as well.

My biggest accomplishments are finishing up the wiring repairs, replacement of the gauge cluster (old one was toast), and I've built a flat track style seat using the stock pan. There's still a long way to go, but I'll keep chipping away.

2021-01-23 10.57.06.jpg
    Tom