Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(first time owner) looking for hand control advice on '82 GS300L

Hi everyone!

I was lucky to snag a 1982 Suzuki GS300L that was loved and is in great shape. The kill switch was the only thing on the bike that didn't work (when parked you just turn the key to turn off). Well me being me, with idk 2 hours of riding under my belt (post MSF), and with it being fall in New England, and knowing to stay away from leaves, well, there were some leaves, and well, my slow-look-press-roll in this turn was quite insufficient.

Anyway I dropped it and it broke the right control housing bracket (so now I get to fix the switch that never worked! ), the thing is I'm having a heck of a time doing it. I ordered a cheap universal set off of amazon just so I would be able to keep learning and riding while I waited for a real part.

It arrived the next day and I was able to sort the wiring and get the old ones connected to the new ones (did my first solder!!), switch works and she starts right up. However, 2 things that don't quite work - the housing expects a ~2mm hole to be in my handlebars to keep the housing from rotating with the throttle. I could drill a hole but only want to as a last resort. The other thing is the throttle cable [thing with the screw that attaches to the housing if anyone knows what it's called please let me know] does not screw into the universal housing. Now with these two problems "fixed" using zip ties and tape, the throttle [thing with the teeth that attach to the end of the cable and go inside the housing] seems to sort of get stuck when turning, I think it's because it bites into the cheap housing plastic.

So I ordered a different part from Lossa that I saw someone install on a YT video and waited for that, but it just arrived and it has the same little notch that goes into the handlebar hole (couldn't see it before ordering), and no space for the throttle, so that would be another part.

I am posting here for any advice/suggestions in general, but specifically - what other bikes use this same starter? And more useful - how can I search properly to figure that out myself? Maybe I curated my google results this way, but I get so many adjacent results and links to part stores and it feels like when I go to a link, it's never relevant to what I'm looking for. I think I'm just missing some major foundational knowledge because I'm new at this.

I have looked on ebay for the part and haven't found anything exactly. There are listings for other GS's but I'm not sure of compatibility. Would the piece for a GS1100 fit my GS300? It looks like mine (whereas the 500 and 700's do not), I looked up the handlebar sizes (both 7/8"), and the wiring may be different but I think I can splice it together like I did with the universal. And, it appears to have the metal clamp inside that broke on my original.

If you got this far, thank you for reading, I'm super excited, and also super bummed my brand new (to me) bike has been sitting in my garage for 2 weeks because of a dumb noob mistake. Any help appreciated.

From the Alpha Sports parts fiche, it looks like these are the models that use you right hand switch. You might want to post in the "parts wanted " section of this site. Somebody probably has one. It's also possible someone has figured a way to use the unit from a different model.
    Last edited by 1948man; 10-21-2020, 03:54 PM.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Here is one from a vendor in Spain. Might be the non-US version since it has the lights off switch. I do not know anything about this vendor, or if they will ship out of the EU even. Lots of good pictures to compare against.
      1981 Suzuki GS250T
      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
      1985 Suzuki GS550E
      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

oh what a cool site for this, thanks. Do you basically just look up a certain model, find the part #, and then see which other models use that same part?

Comment

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

At Alphasports, you look up your year and model and get the correct diagram and note your part number. Then look at the top of the page and click on Special Tools. After that, click on Partsfinder All (dropdown menu) and type in your part number. You will get a list showing all models that use that part number. Like I said, sometimes the part off a model not listed might work.
          Last edited by 1948man; 10-22-2020, 06:28 PM.
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Lots of other sites (who’s web page design is a little newer than 1997. Man that Alpha site looks Dated), have a way to look at a parts fiche for your bike, look up the part numbers. Partshark.com babbittsonline.com partsoutlaw.com. All have a similar layout.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-27-2020, 12:31 AM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Lots of other sites (who’s web page design is a little newer 1997. Man that Alpha site looks Dated), have a way to look at a parts fiche for your bike, look up the part numbers. Partshark.com babbittsonline.com partsoutlaw.com. All have a similar layout.
              My goto tends to be partzilla for exactly that reason. It's not infallible, but good enough.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Once you have the part number you need copied to the clip board go to eBay and do a search for it, this is more often than not the place to get the best price.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

gotcha - thanks all! so is it a bad idea to try to use parts from another GS?
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2020, 10:54 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by rosiecakes View Post
                    Generally, no, as long as that part fits and is in better working order that what you have now. Specifically, if you're not sure, ask here. Or in the appropriate sub-forum.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by rosiecakes View Post
                      Not at all, most especially if they're listed as being cross-fitted by the factory anyway.
                      It gets slightly interesting if they're not listed, but you know they will fit.
                      I've got Yamaha switchgear, Honda brake gear on mine.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

just to round this one out - the GS1100 control worked great for me. Connected the wires and used the original plug and she all good thanks for all your replies.

Comment

Great write-up OP (Original Poster)!

After reading through all that, how bout some pics?

Of the problem area and the bike...of course.

And update your signature in your profile to add your bike...it's a good practice so people aren't wondering what kind of bike you have.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Four (4!) posts from you and we haven't seen a photo of this little beauty . They don't come around that often, so let's see 'er. Maybe over in the GS Owners sub-forum? (hint, hint)
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                              https://alpha-sports.com/suzuki_part...uki-bike-parts

At Alphasports, you look up your year and model and get the correct diagram and note your part number. Then look at the top of the page and click on Special Tools. After that, click on Partsfinder All (dropdown menu) and type in your part number. You will get a list showing all models that use that part number. Like I said, sometimes the part off a model not listed might work.
                              And when you are done with your part number research at Alpha Sports, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO BUY IT.

Alpha is the HIGHEST-priced site EVER. While most of the preferred sites are discounted anywhere from 15-30% from retail prices, Alpha is typically at least 10% OVER retail.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X