What to use when cleaning cases that were in storage for a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use when cleaning cases that were in storage for a while

I recently bought some 82 1100 cases.The paint outside is in good shape,I would like advice on what if any chemicals,rust removers,tape off and bead blasting,or old fashioned Scotch Brite and elbow grease..What is most common? Or what would be the most effective on cleaning a little surface rust on the windage plates,metal retainers etc, And there is a little also on the shift shafts,minimal I don't see any signs of pitting.I have new shift forks and shift cam. Also the cases have some slight oxidation on the unpainted exposed aluminum inside them...Any tricks of the trade is appreciated from any of the restorers out there.Thanks
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

I was just hoping that there might be some "miracle" solution out there..For cleaning cases etc...Still am..I got this basket case motor (in good shape) just a few little gremlins..I am wanting to put it in an ATV frame and Do some of the local dirt drags here in south central KY.Getting a little old for the 1320,now 200ft.Might be interesting...Thanks..
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

I can't give you a definite recommendation as I'm not aware of what's available to you. But I use a cleaner bought from a local cleaning supply warehouse which is made for automotive parts use.
      Most auto parts cleaners now have to be "green" and non toxic.

Simple green will get most of it off. You don't want to use anything which will attack the case paint - which limits it a bit.
      If it was a total restoration, I'd say vaporblast. And repaint.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        I can't give you a definite recommendation as I'm not aware of what's available to you. But I use a cleaner bought from a local cleaning supply warehouse which is made for automotive parts use.
        Most auto parts cleaners now have to be "green" and non toxic.

Simple green will get most of it off. You don't want to use anything which will attack the case paint - which limits it a bit.
        If it was a total restoration, I'd say vaporblast. And repaint.
        Vapor Blast now you got me curious.Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X