No announcement yet.

Total loss ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that you want to save weight, but the 1100e engine makes so much power 5 pounds won't be noticable. If you really want to cut weight, find a way to get rid of the battery. That would be worth 25-30 pounds.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Wow. It has been quite a while since I have seen this much MIS-information in one thread.

I like to deal as much as possible in facts, so I grabbed a digital scale and went to the shop.

Let's start with the (edited) original post, which outlines the objective:
      Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
      I was wanting to remove the charging system off of an engine. ... I was planning on removing the stator itself and the regulator. Leave the flywheel and starter drive.
      OK, the first guess is mine, so we'll settle that one first.
      Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I know that drag racing is all about acceleration, and that is achieved with more power or less weight. However, leaving off the stator and regulator is what, about a pound? Is it <that> critical?
      The weight of a GS850 stator (and its wiring) is 1 pound, 9.3 ounces.
      The weight of a GS1100 stator (and its wiring) is 1 pound, 14.3 ounces.
      I could not quickly find a stock regulator. Few would argue that an SH775 regulator weighs more.
      An SH775 regulator weighs 1 pound, 1.7 ounces.
      The total weight of a GS1100 stator and an SH775 regulator is 3 pounds.

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
      The stator and rotor weigh well over a pound. Std GS1100 rotor is 5.2 lbs and a Kat rotor weighs 4.65.
      Probably quite true and accurate, but re-read the original statement, he is leaving the rotor in place and only removing the stator.

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
      If you really want to cut weight, find a way to get rid of the battery. That would be worth 25-30 pounds.
      The first part of that isn't so bad. For the short durations that it will be used, a lithium pack will weigh next to nothing, but the second part is absurd. The weight of a stock 12v 14Ah battery is 8 pounds, 2.7 ounces.

Bottom line: He asked about the practicality of going total loss by ditching the stator and regulator. Yes, that's entirely possible. The fact that he will only lose three pounds in the process leads to questioning the practicality of the project. That may have led to the suggestion of losing another 8 pounds by replacing the battery. OK, maybe only 7 pounds, because a lithium battery does weigh something.

I asked the question earlier: "Is it <that> critical?" I'll ask it again, but this time, we know that we are discussing just 10 pounds.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for the correction. I've been away for awhile and got a little excited that I may even have a good tip. I seen a post from Rapid Ray too. Good to hear from him.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

If it was me - and I have experience roadracing several makes of big fours both with and without the rotor - I'd hedge my bets.

I'd do a rotor hub with the starter clutch attatched - the lightest possible crank end with a starter fitted.
          But i'd also try a full rotor before deciding which setup to use in which conditions.

On normal tarmac/bitumen/blacktop I'd say ditch the rotor every time for what the OP wants to do.
          But on dirt - and possibly varying conditions - I'd wonder if a little more crank weight might be useful.

It's the old suck it and see again.

And Steve - it's racing. No amount of effort is too much.

Comment

I've been away for awhile and got a little excited that I may even have a good tip.
            No worries. For those who might be changing a rotor to save a bit a weight, it's a GREAT tip, as long as the rotor fits the end of the crank.

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            And Steve - it's racing. No amount of effort is too much.
            Yeah, although I have not done anything more than the occasional street race, I know that the pros will sweat over thousandths of a second. Especially if the 'reward' is more than just bragging rights.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Was just trying to minimize any wiring,Not so much concerned about weight, Just a theory,is there a possible H.P. gain with the stator not being energized and placing some amount of draw,or resistance on the motor,I know some car guys have an alternator by-pass switch that turns it off and on.. Wonder if there is any info on GS motors that might have been dynoed with and without a charging system in relation to H.P.
              sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Was just trying to minimize any wiring,Not so much concerned about weight, Just a theory,is there a possible H.P. gain with the stator not being energized and placing some amount of draw,or resistance on the motor,I know some car guys have an alternator by-pass switch that turns it off and on.. Wonder if there is any info on GS motors that might have been dynoed with and without a charging system in relation to H.P.
                Never seen any data on that. But remember that Yoshimura thought it was worthwhile to drive the alternator off the final drive sprocket in races where they had to use a charging system....
                The lighter crank is the point here.

Comment

Your not really saving all that much wiring by just removing the charging system. I’d think it’d pay off in the end to just keep it if your not removing the rotor.
                  It’s nice to be able to just hit the start button if you stall.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

The stator and rotor weigh well over a pound. Std GS1100 rotor is 5.2 lbs and a Kat rotor weighs 4.65. It's also weight off of the crankshaft that the motor does not have to turn. Rev's quicker? Its why Kat rotor's are lighter. On a fully charged battery with a total loss system (stator and rotor still installed but dead/burnt out) I did a track day of aprox 60 minutes and could still electric start the bike after 60 minutes of riding with no lights.
                    I've considered going total loss on my track bike, and like Steve's point not much weight loss for starting hassle BS.
                    We sometimes cut motors at starting grid because of delays. It would be a real hassle to have to kill it, then start it again on the grid using an external starting devise.
                    I see MotoGP riders restarting their bikes after a minor crash, so they can get back in the race. They're not worried about the weight of a starter.
                    PS: 60 minutes total running time for 1 track day? That's only 3 on track sessions per track day.
                    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-25-2020, 01:12 PM.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks for all the info and opinions...Appreciated. As of now there is a 100$ basket case engine and a free ATV frame. Low if no budget...Just tossing ideas... Thanks again..
                      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        I've considered going total loss on my track bike, and like Steve's point not much weight loss for starting hassle BS.
                        We sometimes cut motors at starting grid because of delays. It would be a real hassle to have to kill it, then start it again on the grid using an external starting devise.
                        I see MotoGP riders restarting their bikes after a minor crash, so they can get back in the race. They're not worried about the weight of a starter.
                        PS: 60 minutes total running time for 1 track day? That's only 3 on track sessions per track day.
                        As I've pointed out earlier in the thread, it's possible to still use a starter with the majority of the rotor mass detatched. Splitting the hub out of the rotor is easy. Just drill out the rivets.
                        Our high compression, big cam, big bore big carbs GS1000 would restart hot using the small on-board battery.

I believe MotoGP bikes are now required to self- start - and the minimum weights reflect that.

I had a speedway car client who was sensitive enough to pick the difference in feel between having the starter clutch fitted to the crank and it left off.
                        That was on a GSXR750 and the starter clutch weighs about 1kg on them.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post

I believe MotoGP bikes are now required to self- start - and the minimum weights reflect that.
                          Not true, all of the 3 moto GP classes still rely on external starters. None of them have, or require an "onboard" starting facility.
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I was wanting to remove the charging system off of an engine.Total loss Ign. I know I will have to power the coils and the dyna S Ignition.I was planing on removing the stator itself and the regulator.Leave the flywheel and starter drive..Battery power only..Any faults with it... All and any advice would be appreciated.I thinking about installing a 82 GS 1100 in an ATV. Dirt Drags ..
                            We run a Turbo funny drag bike.
                            The Orient Express Kawasaki Z900 with total loss ign.
                            There's no problem with what you want to do but you won't gain anything with just the removal of the windings and regulator.
                            The weight loss will barely be better than not wearing any underwear and will just cause more hassle having to remote charge between runs.
                            If you were going to do it then loosing the whole rotor etc is the way to go as that will gain a few HP at the crank.
                            Just be sure to keep the battery fully charged otherwise you will reduce max power.
                            We lose 100 hp from a 250 hp motor after the the first couple of quarters if the battery isn't changed or topped up between runs.
                            Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                            VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Here is a interesting charging system set up... I'm not sure what's under the cover.
                              Attached Files
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X