Total loss ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total loss ignition

I was wanting to remove the charging system off of an engine.Total loss Ign. I know I will have to power the coils and the dyna S Ignition.I was planing on removing the stator itself and the regulator.Leave the flywheel and starter drive..Battery power only..Any faults with it... All and any advice would be appreciated.I thinking about installing a 82 GS 1100 in an ATV. Dirt Drags ..
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Why?

You'll find it takes longer to recharge the battery than to discharge it by riding. In other words, you'll be spending more time charging than riding.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. I've never seen ATV drag racing. Got any video's?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most aftermarket kill switches have teeny wires in them... you’ll probably want to run a relay to get power to the coils. C9915C97-54A4-4471-B3B5-8E9536BC5999.jpg
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I know that drag racing is all about acceleration, and that is achieved with more power or less weight. However, leaving off the stator and regulator is what, about a pound? Is it <that> critical?
          Other than that, yeah, it's possible.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The stator and rotor weigh well over a pound. Std GS1100 rotor is 5.2 lbs and a Kat rotor weighs 4.65. It's also weight off of the crankshaft that the motor does not have to turn. Rev's quicker? Its why Kat rotor's are lighter. On a fully charged battery with a total loss system (stator and rotor still installed but dead/burnt out) I did a track day of aprox 60 minutes and could still electric start the bike after 60 minutes of riding with no lights.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Yes, it's doable - and an 8 amp/hr battery will see you do a days racing easily.
              But think about starting. On our GS1000 racebike I split the hub out of the rotor - and screwed the starter clutch to the back in the usual place.
              The screw ends were TIG'd in place to avoid any problems with it coming loose.

I set it up with a plug for leads to an external battery - for the first start of the day. Once hot, no probs.
              We used a combination starter switch/kill switch with a relay to the coils.

Comment

Just keep a couple of batteries on the trickle charger during the week and you'll be fine. Yes, post videos of this machine!
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

You might want to have a car battery on a cart with a quick connect for starting. Start up is where most the battery power goes
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

My oldest son rode a 650 Yamaha chopper we built with total loss. It was a 73 title so full time lighting was not required. Kick start only. He took day trips on it as much as 60 miles each way with a medium sized battery. It was low when he got home most always.

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                      Why?

You'll find it takes longer to recharge the battery than to discharge it by riding. In other words, you'll be spending more time charging than riding.
                      Consider It only has to run 200ft..And if it goes rounds there will be a back up battery,ready to install.I think if I monitor the voltages for a while I might find a charging pattern..
                      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. I've never seen ATV drag racing. Got any video's?
                        Yep even Top Fuel.in-line 4's and TF Harley motors.. Several categories,Stock,SS/Modified,Unlimited.. Search on You Tube and enjoy..ATV dirt drags should do it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                          Most aftermarket kill switches have teeny wires in them... you’ll probably want to run a relay to get power to the coils. [ATTACH=CONFIG]61875[/ATTACH]
                          Thank You. Exactly...Except separate starting and running systems.Minimal wires,3 switches Starting,Running,Fuel pump..

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            You might want to have a car battery on a cart with a quick connect for starting. Start up is where most the battery power goes
                            Thanks....Good thinking..

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                              Just keep a couple of batteries on the trickle charger during the week and you'll be fine. Yes, post videos of this machine!
                              Be nice,if things go right,I will..I have about 35 ATV frames to pick from...From a friend that wants to do it.Thinking of a 3 wheeler, GS front section and an ATV chain driven solid axle rear section.

Comment

Working...
                              X