Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry for the stupid question... what is this? Can't find in my manual.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the stupid question... what is this? Can't find in my manual.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Sorry for the imgur link, forum wouldn't let me upload.
    1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

thanks buddy
      1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Comment

Timing chain tensioner.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

That is the automatic Cam-Chain Tensioner. Do not touch it when the bike is running. If you suspect it's not doing it's job, there is a good rebuild tutorial on BikeCliff's website, along with a lot of other good stuff you need: Owner's manual, Factory Service Manual, wiring diagrams, tons of how-to's, for whatever Suzuki GS you have. Speaking of...... It's a good idea to create a signature (go to settings at the top right of this page, above the search box) that has your bike info in it. Then we'll never have to ask, and you'll never forget to tell.

Welcome to the site. Nessism's Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread is also a great place to start your journey into the Suzuki GS world. Top 10 and BikeCliff's website are both linked in my signature.

Since you already have an Imgur account, there's just a few more steps to posting pics in the forum. I have written instructions, also linked in my signature.

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            That is the automatic Cam-Chain Tensioner. Do not touch it when the bike is running. If you suspect it's not doing it's job, there is a good rebuild tutorial on BikeCliff's website, along with a lot of other good stuff you need: Owner's manual, Factory Service Manual, wiring diagrams, tons of how-to's, for whatever Suzuki GS you have. Speaking of...... It's a good idea to create a signature (go to settings at the top right of this page, above the search box) that has your bike info in it. Then we'll never have to ask, and you'll never forget to tell.

Welcome to the site. Nessism's Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread is also a great place to start your journey into the Suzuki GS world. Top 10 and BikeCliff's website are both linked in my signature.

Since you already have an Imgur account, there's just a few more steps to posting pics in the forum. I have written instructions, also linked in my signature.

1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Comment

I don't know how much of a functional difference there might be, but your tensioner is installed upside-down.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,

your job calls for attention to detail...I mean, serious attention to detail.

So, what you’re saying is...the spring side should be pointed to the right side of the bike?

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Must admit, that was my first reaction as well but I checked a parts fiche that seems to show that the 450s are citogs ( southpaw, is that the expression?)
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    ...the spring side should be pointed to the right side of the bike?

Ed

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    Must admit, that was my first reaction as well but I checked a parts fiche that seems to show that the 450s are citogs ( southpaw, is that the expression?)
                    It has been a long time since I worked on a 450. I looked in the two 450 manuals on BassCliff's site, but they cover the 250, 300, 400, 425 and 450. Both of the manuals had a picture with the spring on the right. One of them had a caption "Cam chain and tensioner - all models."

Then I looked at a parts fiche and saw the spring on the left.

The pictures of the tensioner in the Haynes and Clymer manuals are a bit dark, but I think I see three bolts holding the tensioner. That pretty much prevents turning it over. I did a bit more digging, found that the 400 and 425 have three-bolt tensioners with the spring on the right, but the 450 has a two-bolt tensioner with the spring on the left.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My rebuild tutorial:

Yes, the tensioner in the pics is shaped a little different; yours works exactly the same, and the seal and o-rings are the same.

No, this procedure isn't in the manuals. No one knows why.

And yes, the seal and o-rings are missing from many specific model parts diagrams. Again, no one knows why...
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I did a bit more digging, found that the 400 and 425 have three-bolt tensioners with the spring on the right, but the 450 has a two-bolt tensioner with the spring on the left..
                        For what it's worth, my 1981 450e is two bolt and has the spring to the right. I suppose the previous owner could have installed it upside down at some point...
                        1981 GS450e

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                          Having never seen one on the left, I doubt the factory installed them that way, parts fiche notwithstanding. I don't think it would function any better or worse mounted left or right. Rotating it every few years like a tire might equalize the gravitational effects on wear.

Or maybe the PO liked to twiddle the knob while riding for a flamenco cafe percussion effect.
                          '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                            Having never seen one on the left, I doubt the factory installed them that way, parts fiche notwithstanding. I don't think it would function any better or worse mounted left or right. Rotating it every few years like a tire might equalize the gravitational effects on wear.

Or maybe the PO liked to twiddle the knob while riding for a flamenco cafe percussion effect.
                            Maybe the starter motor goes in and out easier with the spring on the left??
                            If I'm not mistaken the stroke on the 450 was shortened.
                            Last edited by Brendan W; 10-27-2020, 01:25 PM.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Actually the GS650 manual has some info. Section 1-3 and 3-33

camchain.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X