King of the baggers @ Laguna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King of the baggers @ Laguna

Looks like a broader spread of the motorcycle community was entertained by this unique event.

3:15 was a good moment.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Yeah I watched it on a new channel I'm getting for $4 a month Fox Racing.....entertaining for sure....fun to see them go through the corkscrew...lol
    No signature

Comment

They were surprisingly fast. That Indian in the lead was turning 1:37s, and most were under 1:40.... the fastest Heritage Cup GS1000 turned a 1:39.
      Of course those were $100,000 machines; and neither were as quick as a couple of the junior cup racers on their Ninja 400s... or the 650 twins....probably faster in the straights though.
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

This is "Heritage Cup_Laguna Seca_2020_Race" by Square Yin-Yang Productions on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
        No signature

Comment

That was awesome! Reminds me of old school superbike racing. Those dudes freaking hustle!!!
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            That was awesome! Reminds me of old school superbike racing. Those dudes freaking hustle!!!
            Check the video I posted IT IS old school superbike racing..lol
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              Check the video I posted IT IS old school superbike racing..lol
              Yeah, but hustling ferocious baggers around a track today is living history!
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I sure hope this is a passing fad. I can see the local cruiser enthusiasts trying this and getting hurt. 🤔
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Funny thing: Some of the better riders on Harleys ride baggers. I followed a guy up Salt River Canyon once on my GS1150. He was on a Road Glide, if I recall, and that dude railed that canyon. I see guys on baggers regularly riding very aggressively (and for the most part very well). I think that sort of sentiment is the same stuff that people have shared about Gold Wings-before seeing one ridden hard.

I'd love it if this racing came to Phoenix. I'd attend once there is a vaccine for COVID.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

In August, fter passing through the Grand Teton National Park on the FJR, I was riding along with a couple of guys on big Harley and Indian baggers. One of them, not in this pic, was hanging tight with me through the twisties. I'm no canyon shredder by any means, but I was impressed by how well that big bagger, what's more the rider, handled the road. Coming down hwy 26 between Moran and Dubois, WY, was a blast. Unlike the mountainous roads East of town here with 25 and 35mph stretches, that highway in Wyoming had stretches that you could really open up the throttle. I seriously thought I was slowing him down so I slowed and waved him by, but he stayed behind me (at a good distance.) That was quite a fun stretch to ride.

Shortly after, I got caught in a road block. Construction crews had traffic stopped waiting for the lane to open up. The worker was pointing to bikes and waving us to the front so we could hang for a while. After getting to the front, he said you may as well dismount. It's going to be 20 minutes before anyone can go. That turned a long wait into a fun pit stop. These two guys had just been to Sturgis and were out touring the country. The trike rider never dismounted.

Fun stuff. Sorry for the sidetrack.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I watched the race and was entertained. Wondering if the fairings and bags are stock, or maybe just ornaments made of carbon fiber. Probably the latter.

Do you think there's enough interest to justify running more races? I'd watch them, but mostly because it's just such an oddity.

But, if someone thinks that this is what's going to save motorcycle racing, I suspect they're wrong.
                      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        I watched the race and was entertained. Wondering if the fairings and bags are stock, or maybe just ornaments made of carbon fiber. Probably the latter.

Do you think there's enough interest to justify running more races? I'd watch them, but mostly because it's just such an oddity.

But, if someone thinks that this is what's going to save motorcycle racing, I suspect they're wrong.
                        I doubt the bags were stock....the bikes apparently had budgets of $100,000....and only to go a second or two faster than 40-45 year old super bikes done up in some dude's garage. lol...
                        As for "saving motorcycle racing"...I have subscribed to motogp for 6 years now....they are doing just fine.
                        No signature

Comment

I found it more entertaining than watching Moto GP these days.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                            I found it more entertaining than watching Moto GP these days.
                            Really? Maybe as one off...could you watch a whole season of it? Motogp has had 8 different winners in the first 11 races this year...not sure what other form of racing could be more exciting.
                            No signature

Comment

From what I can tell, it would only be an infrequent event, so yeah, I could watch it each time. To be honest, I don't tend to watch too many motorsports these days. I loved the old Paris-Dakar, enjoy Pike's Peak races, and the odd vintage Mini Cooper race, but most of the rest is just not really too captivating to my mind.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X