My newbie self and my broken bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My newbie self and my broken bike

Hi! I'm 17 and just got my first bike, a gs1100gk. However, i had to take apart the exhaust and do some work on it....jumping straight into the huge forums for questions seemed a little intimidating so I figured I would start here....do any of you guys know where 4 nuts and washers would go on the exhaust system? I remember that when I took them off they were paired together, i just can't remember with what....
    Kat
    1984 gs1100gk

Kat. Welcome to the site. It’s refreshing to see a young lady (assumption due to the forum you posted in) getting into motorcycles with an old GS, and a big one at that.

Please create a signature with bike year and model at a minimum. It’s under Settings, top right of the page.

We all use sites like partshark.com to look at images (fiches) that break down all the parts by system to see where various parts belong and to order new OEM parts.

Some helpful links in my signature, Top 10 is a good first place to start.

We’re gonna need to see some pictures of your new-to-you scooter.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-02-2020, 05:28 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome Kat,

As Rich requested...post pics of your bike...and the 4 bolts/area you're trying to figure out.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks! Partshark was exactly what I needed
          Kat
          1984 gs1100gk

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Kleman View Post
            Hi! I'm 17 and just got my first bike, a gs1100gk. .....
            Welcome Kat.

Hey, a 17yearold that doesnt think he needs a rocket. Welcome.

Hey, a 17 yearold with a GK. Welcome.

Does the GK still have the big fairing and sidebags and maybe a trunk?
            (MOst/ many have been deKayed by crash damage or by someone that just didnt like that stuff)

FOr exhaust bolts:
            THere are the 8 bolts at the exhaust flanges at the engine head.
            THere are the two bolts (and nnuts) near the footpegs (not shown on that microfische)(be aware of which side the longer one can go)
            And are the bolts in the clamps (#11 on microfische).

Thanks for the introduction.
            Picture! We all like pictures.
            Last edited by Redman; 11-04-2020, 10:17 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Welcome Kat.

Hey, a 17yearold that doesnt think he needs a rocket. Welcome.

Hey, a 17 yearold with a GK. Welcome.

Does the GK still have the big fairing and sidebags and maybe a trunk?
              (MOst/ many have been deKayed by crash damage or by someone that just didnt like that stuff)

FOr exhaust bolts:
              THere are the 8 bolts at the exhaust flanges at the engine head.
              THere are the two bolts (and nnuts) near the footpegs (not shown on that microfische)(be aware of which side the longer one can go)
              And are the bolts in the clamps (#11 on microfische).

Thanks for the introduction.
              Picture! We all like pictures.
              ummmmm dude be like a lady..
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                ummmmm dude be like a lady..
                Ummmmm, ... YOU can't guarantee that.

"Kat" happened to post in the "Ladies Only" forum.
                "Kat" admits to being a 17-year-old owner of an 1100GK.
                "Kat" is asking about help with some exhaust hardware.

Those are the only things we know FOR SURE, at least until "Kat" verifies or denies any of the speculation.

Newbies have been known to post in the wrong forum before, this <might> be another one of those times.

Anyway, Welcome, Kat.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i am indeed a lady... by all biological standards i believe i fit the bill....
                  As for the forum, i figured other ladies know quite a lot about motorcycles, and being slightly shy - and a young lady - i might venture out into the endless abyss of the inter-webs by utilizing the ladies only chat
                  and hey, i have a signature this time
                  Kat
                  1984 gs1100gk

Comment

Kat, you’re not the only female on the forum, but only few that I know of ever post in this ladies only sub-forum. But we tend be a fairly helpful bunch of dudes. So don’t be shy about asking questions in the appropriate sub-forums as things come up.

For finding threads about anything, use the site’s search function, but you must use Advanced and you must search by Titles Only to get any meaningful results. Chances are, anything you have questions about has already been asked and answered. If you don’t find the answers you seek, ask away. We’re all (well, most) here to help each other enjoy our bikes more.
                    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-06-2020, 10:17 PM.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Oh.
                      didnt notice this was the lady’s only section
                      (saw the post when look at “today’s posts”.)

glad to help however I can.
                      Last edited by Redman; 11-06-2020, 10:15 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Got the exhaust back on?

got the bike running?

what were you working on?

Comment

An honest mistake, Redman!

I do like Kat's reply...she doesn't capitalize her personal pronoun which I find interesting.

And how she validated her gender was also entertaining...which I mean, was funny.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.. lots of good help here (male or female )

My first bike was a GS1000G, I'm not sure I would go that route again but I'm still here! The Suzuki is a big old beast for a first bike. Make sure you have good rubber & good brakes.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Welcome to GSR, Kat!

You will find much advice in the search area, but if it fails to meet your needs do not be afraid to ask here.

E-bay will be your friend for parts, although many of us have a variety of spare parts on hand and there is a section in the forums to show whatever parts you might need.

The GK is a great bike, much quicker than many think of it, and a beautiful ride for long distance touring....mine served well for an 1100 mile day.

Even if they look good, check your tires to be sure they are actually good for use. Good looks are not enough: tires harden and provide less traction as they age and every tire does this..
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X