My newbie self and my broken bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    Welcome to the forum.. lots of good help here (male or female )

My first bike was a GS1000G, I'm not sure I would go that route again but I'm still here! The Suzuki is a big old beast for a first bike. Make sure you have good rubber & good brakes.
    Yeah, I was going to say, big and heavy for a first bike.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Yeah, I was going to say, big and heavy for a first bike.
      How much does it weigh?

My "T" teeters around 500 pounds...

That gear box/drive shaft adds...150 pounds?

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        How much does it weigh?

My "T" teeters around 500 pounds...

That gear box/drive shaft adds...150 pounds?

Ed

603 dry
        jhgghjkk
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          603 dry
          And how often do you ride it dry? Yikes!!

I was probably 130 (wet) when I started riding at 18.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

dry is only measure I could find. No info on tank size or sump or battery.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I figured about 100+ lbs difference. I'm content with my "T's" weight...600+ lbs is quite a difference.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. There are some wonderful people here... Until you talk politics... LOL...
                I hope you get it fixed. I also think it's a pretty big bike to start out on. I would suggest case covers, in case you ever have to pick it up! Also, saves your engine in some cases.
                I'm so very glad to see another female on this site. You are the only reason I have posted here in weeks! Good Luck!!!

Comment

She hasn't been around in a few months, I think.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Just as an aside, I have a student I've been working with. She's now 21 and from New Zealand. I met her when she was a new rider and wanted some help. Well, now she has 3 bikes , does track days and dirt rides, works on her own stuff. Last week she did her first top end overhaul on her KX100. Came out great. Bike rips. She's now helping other new riders, especially other women. I'm very proud of her.
                    Mad
                    83 GS750E
                    2006 ZX14
                    2004 KTM 450 EXC
                    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Maddevil

I love that kind of story !!! What a Great Blessing you give in helping others... 'Teach a man to fish..." Congratulations Sir!

Comment

Thanks Patti, I enjoy helping out new riders. I have 3 now that have gone on to Big things. One went from 1 broken bike to now 4 that all run. Other is now racing in MotoAmerica and is a riding instructor. Taking the official class is just a start. I think I can help new riders learn quickly how to survive on the street. And how to improve their riding. I believe that the more proficient you are, the more enjoyment you get from riding.

Mad
                        83 GS750E
                        2006 ZX14
                        2004 KTM 450 EXC
                        2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Maddevil
                          I guess you don't need to be told that you are, "Doing the right thing"... LOL..... So, how about: ***CONGRATULATIONS*** !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X