Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E Front and Rear Brake Caliper rebuild kit

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know of anyone selling an 'overhaul'/'rebuild'/'service kit' for the 1978 GS550E front and rear brake calipers?

i have (as we are all instructed) searched this and other forum threads and cannot find anything. My front and rear are in pretty crappy order so i thought that perhaps do a complete refresh of all moving parts.

Any thoughts, links, recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks as ever
    Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
    BMW R1200GT
    GS550 1978 Project bike
    Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
    Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

CMSNL have them for your year.
    Beware, it's the crappy hockey-puck earlier caliper and if you're happy with that, best of luck.
    ✓access the CALIPERS schematic✓find Suzuki CALIPERS spares easily✓OEM parts online available
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      CMSNL have them for your year.l
      Thank you Dave always appreciate your replies mate. CMSNL do seem to take the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ on price
      Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
      BMW R1200GT
      GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeinSaudi View Post
        Hi everyone,

Does anybody know of anyone selling an 'overhaul'/'rebuild'/'service kit' for the 1978 GS550E front and rear brake calipers?

i have (as we are all instructed) searched this and other forum threads and cannot find anything. My front and rear are in pretty crappy order so i thought that perhaps do a complete refresh of all moving parts.

Any thoughts, links, recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks as ever
        Ebay. for a front example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS-5...9/181937526491
        (Can recommend this seller, bought from him before, contacted me to verify that I _really_ got the right kit, because 550E '78/'79 models are different between countries).

If need new pistons (been there), I had good experience with https://www.wemoto.com.

If you need a complete new caliper...well, best look locally for a second-hand one (that's what I did). Parts houses and/or regular suppliers do price such parts/assemblies dearly.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

CMSNL have them for your year.
          Beware, it's the crappy hockey-puck earlier caliper and if you're happy with that, best of luck.
          https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550-1.../BLCK0004.html
          ...I assume there's a newer and better caliper that is backwards compatible?
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

You can fit the twinpot caliper upgrade with a Honda Blackbird disk/rotor....

There are a couple of different calipers you can fit.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

There are a couple of different calipers you can fit.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...00C&highlight=
              Ah, the twinpot upgrade - no, I had something like a bolt-on, no-modification needed, just translating a caliper from later models in mind.
              Model designations are a bit mushy for these years around here, hence my confusion. My GS550's, in other countries might have an 'E' designation (and it's punched on the frame),
              but have dual discs at the front, and have been assigned a 'D' or 'DC' designation in Germany/Switzerland. Makes it quite hard to find the correct literature. But thanks to the dual discs, guess I don't need the twinpot upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post

If you need a complete new caliper...well, best look locally for a second-hand one (that's what I did).
                Roeme,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and the details that you passed are really helpful - much appreciated.
                Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                BMW R1200GT
                GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Thanks Salty,

i had a really good look at that thread and maybe next time....i am rebuilding this bike having bought it in boxes! So i am trying to keep the price of things i throw at it to a minimum. Once its working and ridable then i will put more money into the project.

Thanks again
                  Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                  BMW R1200GT
                  GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Btw, can you provide some pictures? It takes quite a bit for a caliper to be unusable. As long as the sealing grooves and threads are fine, they should be recoverable.

Comment

Btw, can you provide some pictures?
                      Hey Roeme,

Sure will, spent the day in the workshop (i am on holiday just now having been stuck in Saudi for 8 months) but i have been building benches for my wife in her part of the workshop. I will get back out tomorrow and take some pics and post them up.

Thanks again guys
                      Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                      BMW R1200GT
                      GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

...I assume there's a newer and better caliper that is backwards compatible?
                        Not certain about the 550E, but the other ones with that caliper / fork leg(s) are a bolt-on upgrade for the 80-onwards better calipers.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Not certain about the 550E, but the other ones with that caliper / fork leg(s) are a bolt-on upgrade for the 80-onwards better calipers.
                          I'm pretty sure the situation is the same for the 550s. I have both types of caliper in the workshop - if I get a minute I'll see if they fit the same fork leg.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the situation is the same for the 550s. I have both types of caliper in the workshop - if I get a minute I'll see if they fit the same fork leg.
                            That would be great to see Steve, thanks
                            Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                            BMW R1200GT
                            GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

If you need new pistons go stainless and they're done forever. I've bought a good few from this guy - excellent quality, service and price:
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X