New forum member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New forum member

Hi! About 2 months ago I came across of 1982 GS650 that was listed for sale for a song. I ended up buying it even though I didn't plan to get an extra bike. I figured I could restore it as it was not in a terrible state for its age. Now as I am looking at it I am also considering making a cafe racer with minimum modifications. I think I will shorten the frame, refinish surfaces on the frame, tank, and side covers, replace bars and seat. The engine has got 40k miles, and I was initially going to open it up at least the top end, but after measuring compression I changed my mind as it showed 135-140 on a barely warm engine. There was a tiny oil leak around oil filter cover or/and oil pan but after inspecting I discovered that one of the studs was loose and the seal was almost flat, I replaced the seal and the oil filter and tightened up the stud, poured fresh oil, and degreased the affected area. I didn't have a chance to start it yet, but I once I let it run I will inspect again, there's a good chance that I will take off the pan for inspection and will replace the gasket anyway. I also had a chance to contact a few notable forum members for their carb service, which I really appreciate. I might create a thread in "Projects" category later on, although I am too lazy to document all I am doing and take pictures.
    Thanks for keeping this forum alive and active, it's a great deal of information, inspiration and support!

1982 Suzuki GS650G project in BRG
    2004 Honda CRF250r
    2010 HD FatBob in Black
    2007 HD XL883L in Maroon - sold
    2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 daily rider in Red - sold
    2006 Triumph Bonneville America in Grey - sold

Welcome to the forum!
    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
    2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Looks too nice & orig. to be cutting up, you can find any old bike sitting in the weeds to do that to. Nice & complete old bikes, like this one, are much harder to find. This looks like a little TLC & you'd have a very nice old GS. FIND SOME LOWER BARS, those make it look like an "L" model. Oh yeah, welcome & congrats on the nice old GS.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you start chopping it you'll suffer from premature hair loss, erectile dysfunction, heart failure and weltschmerz. Your wife will leave you and members of the Suzuki family will hire ninjas to castrate your dog. Once you're finally done it'll explode, spreading your remains across no less than three continents only to be eaten by raptors whose droppings will fertilize poisonous plants that the illuminati puts into your coffee for mind control purposes.

Not really but here's my point: Have fun with it! It's your bike, make it your own. Welcome to the forum, and remember
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Welcome. Definitely a good looker. Before you chop it, I’d suggest getting proper handlebars as noted, getting it up and running well, then ride it. You may find that you like it as is.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            If you start chopping it you'll suffer from premature hair loss, erectile dysfunction, heart failure and weltschmerz. Your wife will leave you and members of the Suzuki family will hire ninjas to castrate your dog. Once you're finally done it'll explode, spreading your remains across no less than three continents only to be eaten by raptors whose droppings will fertilize poisonous plants that the illuminati puts into your coffee for mind control purposes.

Not really but here's my point: Have fun with it! It's your bike, make it your own. Welcome to the forum, and remember
            Going soft in your old age? You are really starting to go easy on the Newbies.

Welcome to the site, igoldin74.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome,

I didn’t even notice the bars but...yes, change them.

The bike looks great as-is...chopping it up would ruin what is a nice looking original vintage bike.

It’s yours to do what you will...but try different bars first.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Other than the bars and the mirrors, looks to be a complete original condition bike. Even original paint looks good.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

With that tail, you already have a good base for a cafe racer look without the need to chop the frame. No idea what your background is, and I don't have strong feelings about chopping frames.
                  But what I do recommend from experience is to make non-reversible changes only as a last resort.

Just with changing the handlebars alone, this bike will look wildly different.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thanks everyone for warm welcome, with such compliments for the bike I am already seriously considering leaving it as-is and just replacing damaged/old parts, which I pretty much have been doing so far. What bars exactly would you recommend? Aftermarket or something from other models?

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Other than the bars and the mirrors, looks to be a complete original condition bike. Even original paint looks good.
                    The paint is somewhat OK, there's patina, cracks, chips and awful touch ups everywhere.

Ha-ha, thanks! Duly noted
                    2004 Honda CRF250r
                    2010 HD FatBob in Black

Comment

Bars are always a personal preference, whatever you feel good with. From picture those look like 9" to10" rise. Orig. bars would have been appx. 5" to 6". Me personally would feel comfortable with probably 3" to 4". Are you are comfortable with your other 2 bikes bars? If so find bars that kind'f equal what they are. Really like the bike, really orig. for 40K mi. Hate the tail section, worst Suzuki ever put on a bike. Remember everything I say is just my opinion. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by igoldin74 View Post
                        (...) I am already seriously considering leaving it as-is and just replacing damaged/old parts, which I pretty much have been doing so far. What bars exactly would you recommend? Aftermarket or something from other models?(...)
                        This:
                        Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Bars are always a personal preference, whatever you feel good with. (...)
                        Since you're aiming for a cafe racer look, you could put adjustable clubman/ace bars on it (not sure if that's the correct name). Then by replacing the humongous tail light and rear indicators with small, high-vis LED ones you're already quite a bit there, and only with bolt-on, easily revertible modifications.

I would've added exemplary pictures, but the forum is acting up on this computer.
                        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

What a great curse! It only needs an upside-down pentangle and a sacrifice to Beelzebub to take effect!

@Igoldin...but yes, I'd ride it awhile before chopping it up..I have one (identical but black) and I keep longer bars on it...be sure to check everything out here and especially, download the 650G shop manual

BikeCliff's Website

Comment

I appreciate your constructive feedback fellas!
                            2004 Honda CRF250r
                            2010 HD FatBob in Black

Comment

Working...
                            X