Carmo igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carmo igniter

Hi, has anyone installed a carmo igniter on their GS. They are close to half the price of OEM and claim to have better technology and performance. I am not too keen on the dyna 2000. It has a lot of bells and whistles that I would never use on a stockish bike plus I am hearing about too many failures so maybe no good for a daily rider. Last year I rewired my bike with the exception of the ignition system, even the plug caps are original. I was going to at least change coils, caps and wires. Maybe one of our european members have tried a carmo unit as I think they are from Holland.
    1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Not Carmo, but the next ignitor I buy will be from these guys...

The Sparker TCIP4 is the kiddie. Fully programmable, with all sorts of extras you don't need to use, but they're included in the very reasonable price.
    The outstanding thing is they will use the standard pick-up trigger coils of the GS and I can simply immobilise the mechanical advance unit.
    Last edited by Grimly; 11-13-2020, 07:52 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Dave, I spent some time on the ignitech website. Lots of info in the FAQ section. I am going to order one their igniters and coils. Unfortunately I will have to wait till spring to test ride the new ignition.
      1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
        Unfortunately I will have to wait till spring to test ride the new ignition.
        Which bike is it for?

I really like your stable, particularly the two 1100s. Refresh my memory, if you don't mind. The GSXR-1100 wasn't made for very many years IIRC. Originally it wasn't liquid cooled (SACS, Suzuki Advanced Cooling System, oil & air cooled)? I'm guessing your '98 is one of the later models, with traditional radiator and liquid cooling?

IIRC, the original one could not be timed effectively on the quarter mile without modifying the suspension. There was just no way to keep the front wheel on the ground.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hi Rob, it's for my 83 gs1100. The ignitech unit is less than half the price of the dyna 2000 and that's with coils included. I am looking forward to trying it out. About the gsxr1100, they were made from 1986- 1998, 1986-1992 were oil/air cooled, 93-98 water cooled. The 98 was the last year of carburetors for gsxr's . For now only the earlier oil cooled ones are considered collectable.

Comment

Has anyone ever investigated using two GN250 ignitors to fire their 4 cylinder bikes? They have about 34 degrees of electronic advance built in. They are as cheap as $23 apiece on Amazon. Guys at he XS650 site are using them successfully to get rid of their points systems or to replace failed stock TCI systems. It should be an even easier swap to another Suzuki GS since the sensors are of the proper reluctor type. Honestly, I think it would close to plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
              Has anyone ever investigated using two GN250 ignitors to fire their 4 cylinder bikes? They have about 34 degrees of electronic advance built in. They are as cheap as $23 apiece on Amazon. Guys at he XS650 site are using them successfully to get rid of their points systems or to replace failed stock TCI systems. It should be an even easier swap to another Suzuki GS since the sensors are of the proper reluctor type. Honestly, I think it would close to plug and play.
              I mentioned it on another thread. Difficulty, as I see it, is making sure each unit lock-steps to the other. You wouldn't want one being at 25deg and the other being at 27 or so. I've no doubt there's a variation in these, and even selecting a pair of them that have identical advances, doesn't mean they'll stay that way.
              There's quite likely a way of doing it, but involving de-potting and investigating the circuitry to find the spot.
              I can't be bothered with that. Much rather spend another few quid and get an Ignitech, where all the work is done, and for a decent price, too.
              After all, by the time you buy two GN250 units, and then have to buy more, then mess around spending precious time trying to get them to work in unison, well, that's the point at which I look for an alternative.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hah. Just realized we are both on the xs650 site as well. Coals to Newcastle.

Comment

Working...
                X