Unblocking passageways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unblocking passageways

I have a blockage somewhere between the pilot screw and pilot jet on the #1 carb of a 1908 GS850 I'm restoring. When I blow compressed air in through the pilot screw opening (while blocking the small orifices in the bore below) it goes nowhere, whereas on the other carbs I get a flow of air to the pilot jet opening.

Reason for the post is to ask advice for unblocking this somewhat convoluted passageway. I've tried guitar strings and the like, but there's simply too many corners to go around. Other than ultrasonic cleaning, does anyone have any other tips or tricks for clearing a blocked passage?

Mark

Bucket of Berryman carb dip. Has the little dip basket.
    Disassemble carb, place in carb dip for at least 24 hours. (only one carb will fit, so will take a few days to do all four carbs).

(Then replace the orings with a set from Carb ORing website.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome Mark. & go up to the top of the page & click notifications, I think you have a private message.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I thought I’d share how I resolved this problem, in case it’s of use to others.

This carb had already been blasted and the hardware re-zinced, so I wanted to avoid dipping, or ultrasonic bath.

I first wanted to try blowing high pressure air into the pilot screw opening to see if it would dislodge the blockage. Before I could do that I had to block the small orifices under the pilot screw with a home-made bung made from a wooden dowel and a piece of rubber.
        20201117_203420 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

20201117_203609 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

Although I made a good seal, the air pressure wasn’t enough to dislodge the blockage. I then poured solvent down the pilot screw hole and let it sit overnight to see if it would dissolve the offending crud. Alas, this didn’t work either.

At this point my only option was to remove the brass balls so I could get access to the passages. This is a well-known technique on Air-cooled RD forum, as there’s a passage on the VM34 carb that is notorious for crud build-up.

Getting the balls out involves drilling a small hole in them and then gouging them out using the point of an o-ring pick. I had to remove three balls in total.

20201117_203512 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

20201117_203523 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

With the balls removed, I was able to run a drill bit down the passages and pull out a ton of dried up crud. I’m not sure that dipping or ultrasonic bath would have shifted this lot.

20201117_201940 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

Once cleaned out, I tapped the openings where the balls had been and sealed them with set screws. Bike is now running on all four cylinders again.

20201118_192038 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

20201118_192106 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

Comment

Fantastic work! Truly impressive!
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mind - BLOWN! ! ! Great Job, Sir!
              '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

debris looks mostly like metal from drilling process
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Those aren't metal shavings.

I'm the guy that supposedly "rebuilt" those carbs. Thought all the passages were clean but either I missed that one or maybe that debris was loose in the passage and it fooled me? Not sure.

Sorry for the trouble. I'm grateful that Mark is so self sufficient and was able to sort this all out.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, most of what you see in the photo is a brown powdery crud that I dug out of the passages, and there was a lot more than you see in the photo. The few metal shavings are from me drilling out the balls.

I still recommend Ed's services as the carbs look stunning!

Comment

Outstanding!

Not that many years ago, it would have been a simple matter of buying a bank of used carbs off eBay or the like, and you'd pay more for shipping than for the carbs. Those days are over...
                      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                      __________________________________________________ ______________________
                      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Impressive.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Brilliant!

And when all is good it should work like this:

Last edited by londonboards; 11-23-2020, 12:35 PM.
                          Richard
                          sigpic
                          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Indeed it does!

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                            Brilliant!

And when all is good it should work like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Afterdarkmark View Post
                              20201117_203523 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

With the balls removed, I was able to run a drill bit down the passages and pull out a ton of dried up crud. I’m not sure that dipping or ultrasonic bath would have shifted this lot.

20201117_201940 by Mark Philip, on Flickr

Once cleaned out, I tapped the openings where the balls had been and sealed them with set screws. Bike is now running on all four cylinders again.
                              20201118_192106 by Mark Philip, on Flickr
                              What is this crud made of?
                              I have tried solvents and it doesn't touch it even cleaning solutions in the ultrasonic won't budge it. I've tried getting Berryman's that is so widely recommended here but it isn't available in UK.
                              I suspect that it has to be an acid solution, vinegar or phosphoric.
                              I had read years ago that someone had done exactly the process described here on some honda carbs but had used some lead shot to reseal the drilled out orifices.
                              Thanks Mark for sharing this with us. I think this should be added to the stickies of the various help pages.
                              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X