Petcock leaks (GS750)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock leaks (GS750)

Hi all. I'm not a very experienced wrencher. But this is the 2nd 1978 GS750E I've owned. I hope I don't sound stupid for posting this question. I removed the gas tank and have re-installed it. When I re-installed the fuel petcock it leaked. A lot. I bought a new gasket for it and re-installed it again. It still leaks. So, do I really have to crank down on those bolts that hold it on? I was afraid to do that, thinking that I'd overwhelm the gasket and it would leak more. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

Try a little grease/lube on the rubber gasket and don't crank down on the bolts..... but they do need to be pretty tight. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

There is a gasket on the petcock and a gasket on the bolts.
      They could be fatigued/worn out and need replacing.
      Shop online for OEM Fuel Cock parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS750EC, search all our OEM Parts or call at 252-758-3084

Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Are the dowty washers, there is a rubber gasket in them, still on the mounting screws? If not pick up a new set
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, if I had to guess, it would be the bolts. Gotta seal them bolts.

The bolts on my bike's petcock have been wearing 1/4" black nylon washers for, ohhhh.... about 15 years at least with no leaks or issues.

That said, the proper 6mm sealing washer from Suzuki is pretty cheap. They're used all over the place on Suzukis to this very day, so it may just be that a local dealer might possibly have a few on hand. It's a metal washer with a rubber seal inside it.

GASKET (5.8X13X1.2)
          09168-06023
          Last edited by bwringer; 11-21-2020, 12:25 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X