No announcement yet.

$1500 daily rider build (05 Yamaha FZ6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right. I remember 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1800. I know I'm leaving some out. I imagine they're 2-family, semi attached by now.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The newest Goldwing actually shrunk. I get asked more often than not why I'm not on a Goldwing by the amount of miles I ride... It's cheating to me, if I wanted to put 40K miles a year on what basically is a half of an Accord, I'm just going to buy the full cage

At the the time the Gen 1 Max hit the market it was a monster of a bike. One of the bigger engines on the market and the V4 made power unlike the flateplane I-4's. Peak HP was similar but the low and midrange was what really made the bike give a "Hot rod" feel that the revvy I-4's couldn't replicate. I have met a few Gen 1 VMAX guys and the GEN 2 is basically a reliable version of what the GEN1 owner dream about when buildingg their bikes. Bored out, handles better and better brakes. I know one guy that has a 1500cc kit on his Gen1 and he said... Yamah nailed the Gen 2 and it's the bike us GEN1 guys try to get our older bikes up to.

Cult classic for sure. It's stupid fun to ride. Burnouts on demand is silly. Hope to enjoy it for years to come.

Best,
      -Jedz
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

As a former owner of a heavily modded Gen 1 VMax, I can say that they were dead reliable other than 2nd gear in the older ones. Mine made 135 hp at the wheel and was a beast. I modded the suspension and brakes as well, and it was great-except for the tiny gas tank.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Speaking of beasts, I have been eyeing Trask's turbo kit for the Sportster ... 116 hp, 106 lb ft of torque, pump gas ...

$6K, though ...
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Mine made 135 hp at the wheel...
            The advertised claim for the Gen 1 V-Max was 145 hp - the same as my 1982 Z28 Camaro!

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Yamaha nailed the Gen 2 and it's the bike us GEN1 guys try to get our older bikes up to.
            The first prototype of the Gen 2 MAX was larger displacement than what was eventually settled on. They trimmed it down because it was meeting it's performance goals too easily; they wanted it to sound like it was straining.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              The advertised claim for the Gen 1 V-Max was 145 hp - the same as my 1982 Z28 Camaro!
              At the crank, Rob. Production machines were around 115-118 at the wheel.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                At the crank, Rob. Production machines were around 115-118 at the wheel.
                I tend to use "at the crank" and "claimed" or "advertised" interchangeably. Am I wrong?

Comment

The tiny tank was inherited by the Gen 2. I added it to my VMAX budget to get the larger 6 gallon tank with purchase. Man it's worth it. I get around 140/160 miles but before it was like 80-100.

Going by crank is fine to me. I will often call my VMAX a 200HP motorcycle even though it's only puts 190WHP to the dyno, well 189 is what it turned out last. So with drivline loss that's in the 210CHP. It's fast as crap and reliable as all get. Yamaha...

I've owned allot of bikes... The MAX is hands down the most thrilling.
                  Last edited by Jedz123; 11-25-2020, 07:23 AM.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Speaking of bigger tanks, my brother and I are planning to get KLRs and outfit them with the 10 gallon monsters to do some overland adventures next year.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Part 4 is live!
                        General tune up.
                        Keep an eye out for those ichiban tools

Cheers.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Haha. I commented on your YT about the Ichiban tools before I saw this post. Love it.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That bike looks like a blast.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

It's going to be an adequate replacement I think now that I have officially decommissioned the T120 from active duty.

I wish it wasn't winter. I would like to take it out... Hell of a season this year, can't believe it flew by so quickly this year!
                              Last edited by Jedz123; 12-07-2020, 02:36 PM.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                                Haha. I commented on your YT about the Ichiban tools before I saw this post. Love it.
                                HAHAHA Glad that was seen!!!
                                Thanks for tagging along Rich! It's been a fun build! I can say we have 4-5 more episodes in que.
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X