No announcement yet.

Gasket manufacture .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I do not hav a punch, or tubing to sharpen, I use the next size bolt and a block of wood. Use the face of the bolt as a punch and the head to hammer on.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

There are three drill bits that might be useful.

The first is an adjustable drill bit that goes much wider than the typical fixed-size drill bits -- but they might not go wide enough for your needs.

Another are the door knob drill bits that make holes for door knob sets much wider than the typical fixed-size drill bits -- but they might be too rough for your project, and the widths are fixed.

Last, are ceramic tile hole makers. These "kits" are similar to an adjustable drill bit, but they can go much wider, and have a different type of cutter. They are, unfortunately, more expensive.
      Last edited by xkaes; 12-05-2020, 10:03 AM.
      sigpic
      '77 GS550B
      '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        Yes...some of the punch sets are low grade chinesium and don't hold an edge any better than a piece of aluminum tube! or they are too brittle.... a really good punch is really the same as a really good chisel in steel and temper and dear to buy $$$

BUT whichever, to preserve the sharpness, it might be a tip for you to use a block of wood's END GRAIN underneath the gasket you are punching...("end grain" is where you can see the wood's growth rings)
        HI, I don't make gaskets any more but when I did I would use a old centerfire bullet case as a punch . Using the end grain of the wood makes the tool last much longer. Another thing I do is put gasket adhesive on the side that comes off and oil or antisieze on the other side. This makes the gasket easily reusable. My 83 1100 has the original valve cover gasket . I have a spare but have not needed it yet.
        1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Yes, I like to tack engine side on just to keep the bolt-holes shifting.... I've wondered about antiseize on the other... and I think I will try it on your recommend...thanks!

Comment

Could we go over which side is which .... ?

so on a rh engine casing say , oil and 3 bond in hand
            where would I put it ? gasket about to go on.
            UKJULES
            ---------------------------------
            Owner of following bikes:
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
              Could we go over which side is which .... ?

so on a rh engine casing say , oil and 3 bond in hand
              where would I put it ? gasket about to go on.
              I use the adhesive on the side that comes off. For example, if it is a clutch cover, I put it on the clutch cover. The reason I do it this way is if you need to replace the gasket in the future, you can take the clutch cover to your work bench and scape it off and not get bits of gasket in your engine. I use this technique on more frequently removed parts like clutch covers, valve covers ect. but not on base , head and engine case gaskets because its such a PIA to remove. Don't forget to put oil or anti seize on the other side. This is a money saving technique that I thought I would share. On my montesa I have to remove the stator cover to change the oil filter. The dealer tries to sell me a gasket every time a buy oil filters but I don't need it.
              1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Got it thanks .make good sense
                UKJULES
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

naturally, If you glue it to the valve cover you have to be very careful getting the cover in and out without catching the gasket.....

Comment

I used the gasket insert method described on my RD
                    clutch casing. Oil on one side and 3 bond on other side that
                    comes off.
                    I for a reason I dare not admit had to take the casing
                    off 3 times ..... and all times due to the oil
                    it came off cleanly.

Damned good method ! thanks.
                    UKJULES
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E