Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for no-fuss complete brake line kit for 1980 GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for no-fuss complete brake line kit for 1980 GS850G?

I'm helping a buddy put a 1980 GS850G back on the road.

The brake lines are clogged with rusty goo, and all must be replaced. We're able to rebuild the masters and calipers.

So what's the latest and greatest poop on brake lines? Does anyone sell a complete kit? Stock sizes will do fine; it's wearing a Vetter fairing and the stock handlebars.

I've found a couple of sources on fleaBay (Wezmoto and OHA), but they're in England. About $130-ish with shipping to the colonies for all four lines with banjos and washers. Seems like pretty good pricing, and I guess we're not in a big hurry.

Any good US sources?

I don't really care whether the front is two lines or three; two is usually cheaper, of course.

I've ordered from Spiegler for other bikes, and their stuff is fantastic quality:
    Spiegler's stainless steel braided brake lines, quality you can count on.

They're only listed for 1983+... not sure how these would be any different than the 1980 model.

I've also found HEL kits for even more money.

And yes, I'm in Indianapolis, and a 25 minute ride from Earl's Indy down in Speedway. I guess we could go buy several feet of brake line and a bunch of fittings and have at it.

But a kit sure would be nice...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Does Z1 have anything you like?
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Do you have a local hydraulic shop? Sounds like overkill, but I've had great experience walking in with what I need and having a shop make me what I need, both for both brake lines and airlines.

Really easy if you have the old lines still.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Does Z1 have anything you like?
        Yep, that's kind of the leading option in my mind right now, actually.

Your brakes and braking system is one of the most important parts on your motorcycle. These parts are something you want to do inspections on for worn down and damage parts before every ride, to keep you and your bike safe.

Z1 sells Goodridge brake line in various lengths with threaded swivels on the ends, then you buy whatever banjo fittings you need and screw everything together. I've used these before with good results; it's easy to get the angles just right with no cutting or hand crafting.

Another thing I like about these is that if you change the handlebars later, you can buy new brake line but re-use the fittings. This bike will most likely keep the stock handlebars since it's wearing a Vetter fairing in nice shape (the stock handlebar is way too wide and upright for a naked bike), but if the owner or a future owner changes the handlebars, there's an option.

Earl's Indy is local and sells brake line and the threaded fittings. I'm pretty sure they can also build crimped brake lines, or point me to another source. Not sure what the cost would be, though. Indianapolis is jam-packed with motorsports suppliers and services, but it can be a very difficult for civilians to find them or get access. The pandemic could have made that better or worse, but I'll investigate that on Monday.

Spiegler custom brake lines are another option; they're very high quality and US-made; I've used them in the past and normally they build and ship the lines the next day.

We'll probably go with two lines up front to save a little cash; I've never seen any reason to duplicate the stock three line setup unless you're extremely cramped for space on the handlebar and there's no room for a double banjo.

And yes, I've successfully built brake lines several times with the compression fittings, and I find the process... annoying. I'd like to avoid that.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          (...)
          And yes, I'm in Indianapolis, and a 25 minute ride from Earl's Indy down in Speedway. I guess we could go buy several feet of brake line and a bunch of fittings and have at it.

(...)
          I wish I had this possibility! Kits are way overpriced here, 200ish upwards.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

You might want to contact these fplks in Eastern Canada:
            contact@apexbrakes.com

They sell stainless brake kits of good quality (about 9 different colours if I recall. I ordered a silver/stainless set for my 78 Gl1000 and was very happy. All I did before hand was email Raymond and give him the make and model and ask for a quote. He replied in a timely manner. When I ordered they were shipped very quickly. I seem to recall mine were approx $160. CDN $. I have seen were they have been recommended by others on the NakedGoldwing site as well. Just a suggestion
            Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
            1978 GL1000-naked
            1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
            1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesz View Post
              contact@apexbrakes.com

They sell stainless brake kits of good quality (about 9 different colours if I recall. I ordered a silver/stainless set for my 78 Gl1000 and was very happy. All I did before hand was email Raymond and give him the make and model and ask for a quote. He replied in a timely manner. When I ordered they were shipped very quickly. I seem to recall mine were approx $160. CDN $. I have seen were they have been recommended by others on the NakedGoldwing site as well. Just a suggestion
              I recommend Raymond as well. I have done several of my bikes with him. And have never even had to give him measurements because he has done so many of our bikes he has all the inf needed.
              $160cdn or about $122us....
              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                I wish I had this possibility! Kits are way overpriced here, 200ish upwards.
                Earl's is the way to go in my opinion. You can configure the routing scheme any way you want and the parts are made in USA and high quality.

Check my tutorial on how to build the lines. They are dead easy to make. Only trick is to stop 1/2 to 1 turn short of bottomed out so you leave room to clock the end fittings just right. No need to purchase the more expensive rotating hose ends, although that also an option. As a bonus, they are cheap.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did my GS850GL a year + ago with lines from -->> https://us.helperformance.com/

They fit pretty well - and the banjo clocking was adjustable -

On the L model the rear was a bit shorter than I would've liked it - but it reached fine and works great now

Worth checking out ..?
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesz View Post
                    contact@apexbrakes.com
                    I am going to talk to them as well. I am retrofitting a set of 2017 R6 calipers onto my 1998 ZX6R and need a set to adapt between the ZX6R M/C and the R6 calipers at an oddball length.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

An update on all this...

I took the old brake lines down to Earl's Performance Plumbing down in Speedway. They're one of many motorsports suppliers around here, and one of the few with a storefront open to the unwashed masses.

Anyhoo, I intended to just buy the materials to make brake lines with threaded fittings. Turns out, it's cheaper to just have them make a set of lines with proper swaged ends, and of course a bit more reliable, better looking and more skookum all around.

The total cost for two front lines and one rear line will be under $100!

I'll report back with details and pics when I pick them up.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                      X