Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS750E "No Spark" No Mas! Picture Link included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750E "No Spark" No Mas! Picture Link included.

So the bike is finished now and purring like a kitten. Didn't end up doing anything to the carbs as it appears the original owner drained all the gas before parking it. Enjoy the pics. It took 7 months and about 4k to bring it back from the dead but don't we feel obligated to do so when we are blessed with a piece of history! Thank you for the help GS Resources!

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.
    1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Dang that thing looks good. Have you thought of bike of the month?? I'm thinking all the "78" GS750EC's were black. The GS750C's were blue or maroon. yours looks like a 750"C" with "E" model wheels & brakes. Yours looks much better than an orig. "E", a much better color. Great looking job. Just my opinion, an "E" model seat would really set it off even more in both looks & comfort. Congrats on a real eye-catcher
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Dang that thing looks good. Have you thought of bike of the month?? I'm thinking all the "78" GS750EC's were black. The GS750C's were blue or maroon. yours looks like a 750"C" with "E" model wheels & brakes. Yours looks much better than an orig. "E", a much better color. Great looking job. Just my opinion, an "E" model seat would really set it off even more in both looks & comfort. Congrats on a real eye-catcher
      Thanks rphillips!

It was a fun project! The Vin Number contains GS750E as part of the number. Glad you liked the pics!
      1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Sharp looking GS!
        good pics too. Do concider submitting to bike of the month.

remind us. What all did you do over the months (and 4K)?

winter haven. I spent four days there this past January. Returned to Egg Haven every day for breakfast.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Bike looks great, Ken.
          I like keeping track of how much individual parts and services cost but i NEVER total them up.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great job there Ken, love the color and paint job. Like Steve I've never added up the $$$$ pumped into mine and never will, LOL!
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Turned out really nice, that has.
              It's like walking into a showroom in 1980 and seeing that as a one-owner bike.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Sharp looking GS!
                good pics too. Do concider submitting to bike of the month.

remind us. What all did you do over the months (and 4K)?

winter haven. I spent four days there this past January. Returned to Egg Haven every day for breakfast.
                The bike was in tough shape. It was unused for about 4 or so years. He said it was kept inside and maybe it was. There was rust in the underframe area and in many other locations interspersed. The brake pads were down to nothing in both the front and back and the master cylinders had crud in places and dried brake fluid in others. Needed a new battery, coils, stator, spark plugs and wires(coil), points and condenser. Rich turned me on to the Shendengen 775 upgrade that I finally got straight.

Had to clean all the contacts and elec plugs and replace one plug. New, turn signal lights all around, headlight housing, rear light, front tire, master cylinder kits, screws and bolts everywhere I could, chain, solenoid, front fender, exhaust system, petcock, bondo fuel tank and painted using color of 2016 Honda Pilot Elite R529P Dark Cherry Pearl (done professionally), the brakes needed new pistons front and back, handle bar grips, shut off switch, dash board and gear indicator harness, brake hoses, all of which I replaced using the "I'll get it right if I fix the same thing over and over before reading up on the problem" system.
                Last edited by Shred Astaire; 11-24-2020, 02:51 AM.
                1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Bike looks great, Ken.
                  I like keeping track of how much individual parts and services cost but i NEVER total them up.
                  Thank you! I hated counting how many times it took me to take apart and fix and individual problem. I got faster each time though
                  1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                    Great job there Ken, love the color and paint job. Like Steve I've never added up the $$$$ pumped into mine and never will, LOL!
                    Thanks John! The color I found after driving to Walmart and other supermarket lots holding my side cover up against someone's paint to see what matched best and I found the color of the 2016 Honda Pilot Elite R529P Dark Cherry Pearl was the best match to the 42 year old Suzuki color!!
                    1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      Turned out really nice, that has.
                      It's like walking into a showroom in 1980 and seeing that as a one-owner bike.
                      Thanks Grimly! My favorite member picture!
                      1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Hey Rich,

I apologize for being an absolute ass. I was in over my head and in a new forum and I over reacted. It turned out the trouble was a single ground wire going from the fastener bolt of the solenoid to a frame ground. I found it after staring at the diagram you posted for me for a few days. I got a chance to see a cool electrical fire on the bike too when I was putting that wire in place on the solenoid, whilst palming a screw driver that went somewhere it wasn't suppose to be. They sure flame up fast.

Thank you for your help!

Nessism too!!
                        1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Glad you stuck with it and got everything sorted. The results are fantastic.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

While I appreciate the suggestions for photo of the month submission, I said some things to the membership that were unforgivable. The fact that I was given an opportunity to continue using the site and all it's resources, speaks to the commitment of this site's owner and the mods, to serve the best interest of GS Motorcycles beyond any failed human's behavior. It is for that reason that I posted the link to the photos and will return to obscurity when everyone's questions are answered. My apologies to Frank, the mods and the membership. Thank you for not banning me when it was clearly warranted.
                            Last edited by Shred Astaire; 11-24-2020, 10:45 AM.
                            1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Originally posted by Shred Astaire View Post
                              Hey Rich,

I apologize for being an absolute ass. I was in over my head and in a new forum and I over reacted. It turned out the trouble was a single ground wire going from the fastener bolt of the solenoid to a frame ground. I found it after staring at the diagram you posted for me for a few days. I got a chance to see a cool electrical fire on the bike too when I was putting that wire in place on the solenoid, whilst palming a screw driver that went somewhere it wasn't suppose to be. They sure flame up fast.

Thank you for your help!

Nessism too!!

I guess i missed the posts when you were being an ass. A lot of us here have over-reacted to perceived sleights.
                              You've made some specific and general apologies.....personally speaking, that works for me. Hang around.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X