Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all GS450 model engines the same?

Hi all,

My question is if every GS450 model had the exact same engine, i.e. would I be able to put a L model engine on my E model frame? I'm asking because I have been offered a really cheap engine which appears to be coming from a L model. The owner says it is marked 500L and that it was apparently sitting on a GSX400 from 83 of all things, so I'm guessing they can all be swapped between models?

Apologies if this subject is already somewhere on this site, I have done some searching and haven't found anything.
    Last edited by Arek; 11-25-2020, 04:09 PM.
    -----------
    GS450E 1985
    Wroom Wroom Wroom!

The engines should all fit. Some of the parts won't interchange between engines but the whole unit will fit. The GS500 engines won't because the exhaust pipes come out differently and the shifter works backwards.

The 500L bit is not familiar to me, but if the engine was in a GSX400 it should be just fine. '82 and earlier used a mechanical advance mechanism; '83 on used an electronic advance built into the ignitor box. As along as you don't mix between systems you can use either one.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
      The engines should all fit. Some of the parts won't interchange between engines but the whole unit will fit. The GS500 engines won't because the exhaust pipes come out differently and the shifter works backwards.

The 500L bit is not familiar to me, but if the engine was in a GSX400 it should be just fine. '82 and earlier used a mechanical advance mechanism; '83 on used an electronic advance built into the ignitor box. As along as you don't mix between systems you can use either one.
      Thanks John - so in case I get one that is prior 82, what changes would I need to make in order for it to work with my 85 harness? I'm guessing the ignitor box is what needs to be changed in that case?
      -----------
      GS450E 1985
      Wroom Wroom Wroom!

Comment

Originally posted by Arek View Post
        Thanks John - so in case I get one that is prior 82, what changes would I need to make in order for it to work with my 85 harness? I'm guessing the ignitor box is what needs to be changed in that case?
        Given that the later type ignitors came on a lot more bikes and continue on to about 2009 on the GS500, I'd rather move a later type rotor and ignition plate onto the early motor and leave the electrics the same, especially if you don't have the early ignitor. The new system is definitely more reliable mechanically as all it has to do is not fall off. Electrically, I don't think there's much difference for reliability, and used GS500 ones seem plentiful. Early type ignitors are scarce and expensive.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
          Given that the later type ignitors came on a lot more bikes and continue on to about 2009 on the GS500, I'd rather move a later type rotor and ignition plate onto the early motor and leave the electrics the same, especially if you don't have the early ignitor. The new system is definitely more reliable mechanically as all it has to do is not fall off. Electrically, I don't think there's much difference for reliability, and used GS500 ones seem plentiful. Early type ignitors are scarce and expensive.
          👍
          Sounds great! Thanks
          -----------
          GS450E 1985
          Wroom Wroom Wroom!

Comment

Working...
          X