No announcement yet.

Back to bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're very welcome, Mal. You've been the perfect client. I enjoy doing this kinda stuff..and if I take home a buck or two, I'm a happy guy. I'll open these parts up with some 600 grit tomorrow and let them breathe through Christmas and then start the polishing process. I also like em to cure for a week after they're completely done before wrapping them up for the trip home.
    Last edited by nvr2old; 12-19-2020, 09:35 PM.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Fantastic again Larry! Can't wait to see how they go after a cut and polish and in some natural light

Mal's getting a top notch job!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Holidays are over. Time to finish up Mal's GS750. While my wife was at work, I stole her kitchen counter to sand the clear. Started with 800 wet/dry on to 1000, 1500, and finally 2000 grit.

Took a moment to put a quick spritz of the same black for the side covers to match the back ground for the tank emblems. No masking required, just spray, and wipe the letters off after they dried a bit.

Voila..simple

I put the emblems back on the side covers, too. Amazing what a difference a bit of color and chrome makes.

After the three step polishing process, it's a good time to cover over the paint line around the gas filler. Started with 1/4" Fine Line, followed by 1/2" to reveal the "smear zone".

Just used my finger to swipe the JB Weld over the paint line.

I always pull the tape off almost immediately before the JB has a chance to set up. You don't want it to harden on top of the tape making it really difficult to pull off cleanly. No gas fumes should ever lift the new paint doing this.

Last edited by nvr2old; 01-10-2021, 06:14 PM.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Screwed the tank emblems on and took the parts outside in natural light. Sadly, a very gloomy day, not the greatest for finish pics, but oh well..

Still shows off the depth of reflections even in this light. I love the way these parts turned out. I painted the underside of the tail section with the same satin black.

Thanks again for the interest and thanks as well to Mal for sending me the parts. I still enjoy doing this stuff and being able to do it as a hobby these days makes it all the better. Next up a 1973 Honda CB750 in metal flake orange..cool.
          1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Many, many thanks Larry, this project has turned out far better than I dreamed it could. To do justice to your work I shall to have to do a an in depth clean-up of the entire bike before I put all these bits back on! Roll on the Spring and ice-free roads. I'll call you tomorrow evening mate.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Looks fantastic, Larry.
              And thank you for that tip on the JB Weld around the tank filler hole.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You're welcome, Steve. It's a tip I've been promoting for a long time. It really does work.
                1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Thanks for sharing your secret tips, Larry! As usual, an excellent job that looks better than when the parts were new.
                  1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Wow. So you want to do my '73 CB750 too? Paint purchase cheaper in more bulk

I've got a '73 and of the 3 colors I think sunrise orange flake is best, very iconic. VMR paints has the base/flake/clear kits. A quart each of silver base and orange flake is $400 though (!). I see a company in Germany sells a kit on eBay (link) but says they won't ship to the US. There is also a recipe on SOHC forum (link) using House of Kolor which looks interesting. I'm sure you'll figure it out and do a great job. The tank I have is orange and tired, but sound. Good for measurements on the decal location.

On top of that I just got a '79 GS1000E and it needs a re-paint, it's the black with very faint sparkles, still researching the name/code and vendor.

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                    Next up a 1973 Honda CB750 in metal flake orange..cool.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

It's been a long time since I've done a flake job, but I remember the sequence very well. Silver base coat, flake mixed with clear over the silver, usually 2 rounds of cleat coats to cover the flake and then orange candy, followed by more clear to protect the orange, then stripes (which I would rather paint on) and even more clear. Possibly one of the most expensive (material-wise) paint jobs I've ever considered. Thanks very much for providing links (I'm a member of the SOHC/4 site) to people who have experimented with it. I'll look those over very carefully. It would be nice to get all the materials from the same vendor to keep it as a system, so I'll check out VMR.

I have a guy, that even if you can't find the codes for the '79 Suzuki, can be 99% sure he can replicate it as long as you have a piece that's clean to scan.

I'm grateful to folks like Mal who know about being patient because I can only work on the weekends, but it's nice that people are still interested in having me do some work for them.
                      Last edited by nvr2old; 01-11-2021, 08:12 PM.
                      1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Awesome as always Larry, I love the depth you get after those clear coats, outstanding!
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Wow! I say again: Wow! Super fantastic work. I think that's a better than factory paint job.
                          Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                          1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                          1981 GS1100E

Comment

Screwed the tank emblems on and took the parts outside in natural light. Sadly, a very gloomy day, not the greatest for finish pics,
                            Us geeky photographers will say that overcast is actually good for this sort of thing. Soft diffused light
                            doesn't have distracting highlights, shapes / lines, are easily followed, etc....
                            Anyways, another beautiful job.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Glen, your expertise in photography also blows me away. I went to the photo section and checked out your pics. You, my friend, are an artist of the highest order. Such beautiful work.. In my lack of photo knowledge and skills, I've always gone for early morning and early evening because of that "magic light time" I've heard people describe. These of Mal's finished parts were taken early afternoon and at least showed reflections better then I thought they would. I don't like the busy background in them, though..my garage isn't exactly captivating subject matter.
                              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Glen, your expertise in photography also blows me away. I went to the photo section and checked out your pics. You, my friend, are an artist of the highest order. Such beautiful work.. In my lack of photo knowledge and skills, I've always gone for early morning and early evening because of that "magic light time" I've heard people describe. These of Mal's finished parts were taken early afternoon and at least showed reflections better then I thought they would. I don't like the busy background in them, though..my garage isn't exactly captivating subject matter.
                                I like this one. Ran when parked...

Valvetrain by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X