Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Back to bikes

Looks fantastic, Larry.
    And thank you for that tip on the JB Weld around the tank filler hole.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

You're welcome, Steve. It's a tip I've been promoting for a long time. It really does work.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Thanks for sharing your secret tips, Larry! As usual, an excellent job that looks better than when the parts were new.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Photo of the Month Winner April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo"

Wow. So you want to do my '73 CB750 too? Paint purchase cheaper in more bulk

I've got a '73 and of the 3 colors I think sunrise orange flake is best, very iconic. VMR paints has the base/flake/clear kits. A quart each of silver base and orange flake is $400 though (!). I see a company in Germany sells a kit on eBay (link) but says they won't ship to the US. There is also a recipe on SOHC forum (link) using House of Kolor which looks interesting. I'm sure you'll figure it out and do a great job. The tank I have is orange and tired, but sound. Good for measurements on the decal location.

On top of that I just got a '79 GS1000E and it needs a re-paint, it's the black with very faint sparkles, still researching the name/code and vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2old View Post
    Next up a 1973 Honda CB750 in metal flake orange..cool.
    Tom

It's been a long time since I've done a flake job, but I remember the sequence very well. Silver base coat, flake mixed with clear over the silver, usually 2 rounds of cleat coats to cover the flake and then orange candy, followed by more clear to protect the orange, then stripes (which I would rather paint on) and even more clear. Possibly one of the most expensive (material-wise) paint jobs I've ever considered. Thanks very much for providing links (I'm a member of the SOHC/4 site) to people who have experimented with it. I'll look those over very carefully. It would be nice to get all the materials from the same vendor to keep it as a system, so I'll check out VMR.

I have a guy, that even if you can't find the codes for the '79 Suzuki, can be 99% sure he can replicate it as long as you have a piece that's clean to scan.

I'm grateful to folks like Mal who know about being patient because I can only work on the weekends, but it's nice that people are still interested in having me do some work for them.
    Last edited by nvr2old; 01-11-2021 at 08:12 PM.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Awesome as always Larry, I love the depth you get after those clear coats, outstanding!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Wow! I say again: Wow! Super fantastic work. I think that's a better than factory paint job.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 Yamaha SR500
    1981 GS1100E

Screwed the tank emblems on and took the parts outside in natural light. Sadly, a very gloomy day, not the greatest for finish pics,
    Us geeky photographers will say that overcast is actually good for this sort of thing. Soft diffused light
    doesn't have distracting highlights, shapes / lines, are easily followed, etc....
    Anyways, another beautiful job.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Glen, your expertise in photography also blows me away. I went to the photo section and checked out your pics. You, my friend, are an artist of the highest order. Such beautiful work.. In my lack of photo knowledge and skills, I've always gone for early morning and early evening because of that "magic light time" I've heard people describe. These of Mal's finished parts were taken early afternoon and at least showed reflections better then I thought they would. I don't like the busy background in them, though..my garage isn't exactly captivating subject matter.
    1979 GS1000S,

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Glen, your expertise in photography also blows me away. I went to the photo section and checked out your pics. You, my friend, are an artist of the highest order. Such beautiful work.. In my lack of photo knowledge and skills, I've always gone for early morning and early evening because of that "magic light time" I've heard people describe. These of Mal's finished parts were taken early afternoon and at least showed reflections better then I thought they would. I don't like the busy background in them, though..my garage isn't exactly captivating subject matter.
    I like this one. Ran when parked...

Valvetrain by Glen Brenner, on Flickr