No announcement yet.

Back to bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry, thank you for the kind words. At this point I’m more lucky then good, but try to increase my odds by going out a lot.
    morning / evening light is a great time to photograph things. Nice color and less harsh lighting conditions.

Colorado CJ who used to frequent this site regularly was great at photography.

Thanks Ed. It’s hard to see in that pic, but the last two pushrods are bent. I’m thinking blown, parked, scavenged for parts.
    Last edited by dorkburger; 01-18-2021, 07:04 PM.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
      Holidays are over. Time to finish up Mal's GS750. While my wife was at work, I stole her kitchen counter to sand the clear. Started with 800 wet/dry on to 1000, 1500, and finally 2000 grit.
      So Larry you did 6-8 coats of clear, then waited 3 weeks before sand and polish?
      That's a great result.
      Did you use a machine or hand polish?
      I polished one guitar by hand a few years ago. My right arm and shoulder felt like it belonged to The Hulk when I stopped.
      I've since bought a polisher, but even that takes some time to get right.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I waited a couple of weeks between Christmas and New Year's to cut and buff the parts, Bill. I have my handy variable speed drill with the polishing pads, wool. yellow foam, and finally black foam finish pad. It's perfect for getting around the tank seams and the front of the tank. I can hold the tail section between my knees for using the drill, too. The top and sides of the tank I use a full-size buffer also with 3 pads. I'd like to get a smaller six inch variable speed buffer for bike parts. Less of a chance of catching an edge on the tank and possibly throwing it across the room.. I've done a lot of guitars, too. Hand polishing is really hard and time consuming and will never bring out the shine the way a power tool can. If you follow the many sand paper stages to take out the previous grit scratches, by the time you get to 2000..it buffs right out beautifully without fighting it. If you go from 800-2000 it will always show scratches no matter how much you buff on it.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Hey Larry, know anyone who needs a boatload of bubble wrap?
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

As you see I'm not much of a photographer but here's the best I could do to show off Larry's fantastic work.

[IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Beautiful.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Beautiful indeed! That is a top notch result, and a mighty fine looking bike!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Great looking bike, John.
                  Like the swingarm/shock combo too.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Beautiful.
                    Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Beautiful indeed! That is a top notch result, and a mighty fine looking bike!
                    Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Great looking bike, John.
                    Like the swingarm/shock combo too.
                    Thanks for the complements gents!
                    -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Just saw that you posted some finish pics, Mal. Wow! I hardly ever get a chance to see parts I've painted back on the bike. That baby turned out nice. You were worried the rest of the bike would look dull compared to the paint, but the end result looks fantastic. What a beauty. Glad to have been a part of it.
                      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Cheers Larry, you were absolutely bang on with the color (pearl & metallic), it looks dead right. I have the biggest smile cruising down the road now. This paint job was always going to be impressive but it has made this bike something truly special. Look out for more photos as the weather warms around here! Again, many thanks to you and I look forward to seeing your next project results.

http://meticulousmotorcyclepainting.com
                        -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                        X