Which Bike Would You Choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Bike Would You Choose?

I haven’t posted for a while. In fact, I had to sign up under a different name it had been so long. I have been out of motorcycling for too long but want to get another bike and even have some cash (for a used bike). The kind of riding I plan to do is mostly solo exploration of back roads one day a week and some two-up touring once a month with the wife—do an overnight trip or a couple of days. Perhaps do 4-5 days when I have vacation. This riding would be primarily back roads with some interstate travel. Our combined weight is nearly 400 pounds. I like to say, “She is my better third” (instead of half). I am not thinking of riding in the dirt, but if I had a capable bike I may do some light fire road type exploration, though that is not necessary. Though I’ve ridden bikes since I was 8 years old, I don’t have a ton of miles on street bikes. I did take the MSF course not long ago. I am approaching this as a rider who is coming back to motorcycling after some years off. I am not a novice, but I am also trying to be realistic and not foolish.

I have three questions as I narrow the choices. If you don’t like reading, go to the end for a summary.

1. I’m looking at two 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000s. They are listed for virtually the same price. One is at a dealer and has only 1,100 miles. It looks new. I asked how this bike could only have 1,100 miles at 9 years old. The salesman said some guys have several bikes in their garage and one doesn’t get ridden as much. Okay. The bike is completely stock. No accessories, like engine guard, hand guard, or side cases. None of that. Just the bike as it sat on the dealer’s floor when new.
    The second DL1000 has 13,000 miles. It is privately owned. It is in really good condition, runs well, no mechanical issues as far as I can tell. It has new tires, engine guard, top box, and hand guards. These are all extras I would want. In addition, I would add side cases and a metal bash plate.
    Assuming both are in better than good running and cosmetic condition, which would you buy? A bike that has been broken in, ridden, and apparently cared for with 13,000 miles. Or one that is almost new because it sat in someone’s garage for years. It has no known mechanical issues, but…

2. I am also considering a 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S with 13,000 miles. It is privately owned. It has top and side cases. It also is in better than good mechanical and cosmetic condition. My concern with this bike is its heft, weighing around 560 lbs. At 57, I wonder how handling the weight will be as I age. I also wonder about all that torque. I’ve never owned a liter bike. I rode a 2018 V-Strom 1,000 for a day and believe I can handle its power. I’m wondering about the GSF 1250, not knowing its engine characteristics firsthand. So, Bandit or V-Strom?

3. Or perhaps I should just find a well-cared for DL650 and make that my bike. The advantage here is it is lighter, easier to maneuver, and will be more economical to operate. The two concerns I have with the DL650 is how it will work as a 2-up touring bike given the nearly 400 lbs. it will have to lug in addition to what we will pack; and will a 650 become too dull after a couple of years of riding?

I realize my questions are subjective. But I am hoping you can give me some rationale for deciding 1) which available V-Strom 1000 to prefer? 2) V-Strom or Bandit 1250? and 3) DL1000 or DL650? given my dimensions and use (see above). And, yes, I plan to test ride as a way to aid my decision. I would appreciate your thoughts on one, two, or all three questions, if you care to respond at all. Thank you.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2020, 11:15 AM. Reason: because

Lol!!!

I have no feedback on your bike of choice but your research is cool.

Thanks for posting...and welcome back!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Between the 2 DLs, the 13,000 mile one is a much better deal. The 12,000 mile differential is negligible.

As far as the Bandit, goes, it's a much better street bike. It will be a better 2 up week end bike.

But, if you're only 57 and worried about a bi g bike, it's time to hit the gym and work out. Also, check videos on how to pick up a bike.

Either bike, ride it solo for a while to get used to it
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

How 'bout you just take pics of them all, and just be content to look at them and show your friends. Save yourself a lot of money.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          Between the 2 DLs, the 13,000 mile one is a much better deal. The 12,000 mile differential is negligible.

As far as the Bandit, goes, it's a much better street bike. It will be a better 2 up week end bike.

But, if you're only 57 and worried about a bi g bike, it's time to hit the gym and work out. Also, check videos on how to pick up a bike.

Either bike, ride it solo for a while to get used to it
          Bolded, especially, is good advice.

Comment

I'm a big V-Strom fan. Bought a new '07 650, still have it, and love it. Wonderfully balanced, fun bike to ride. But, if 2-up was a major part of my riding I'd go with the 1000. Of the two you mention, the 2nd is the much better deal in my opinion.

On the Bandit, I've ridden them and they just didn't do that much for me.

It's all personal preference though, so the only thing that matters is what you like to ride.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

There are different definitions for back roads, some of our back roads aren't paved & none of our fire roads are paved. That being said, I'll never want to put a 500 lb. bike on any road that isn't PAVEMENT. Just my opinion.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Wait a couple years and get the turbo VStrom.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You'll want the lighter bike once you leave pavement and the heavier bike on the slab when there's a stiff crosswind. My understanding is the 650 and 1000 VStrom weigh basically the same and for two up riding you'll want the extra power of the 1000.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. The guys who suggested that the VStrom 1000 with more miles was the better deal, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was leaning toward the other one.

So, I narrowed it down to two bikes. The first bike I looked at was the 2009 Bandit 1250S. I went to check it out and it was really clean. Everything on it was in very good condition. I could only find a couple of tiny spots where there was surface rust and those would have been easy to sand and repaint. The seller obviously was very particular with his bike. And his garage was uncluttered and spotless. It was too cold and late in the day for a test ride so I made an appointment to come back. I actually intended to come back and buy the bike. But as I thought about it, I was a bit too cramped in the saddle... especially when my "better third" sat on the passenger perch. I finally just figured that ergonomically, it didn't quite fit. That fact would discourage longer rides, so I went to see the 2012 V-Strom 1000 with 13K+ miles.

This bike was even cleaner than the Bandit. I checked it out really well (to the best of my abilities) and could find nothing that needed addressed. There would be things you could add, but nothing that needed a little sprucing up or fixed. I set an appointment to come back when it was warmer and to bring my wife along. Thursday was a beautiful day here, nearly 60 degrees F. Me and the Mrs. both sat on it and there was plenty of room. Then I took it for a ride. Mechanically, it is sound. And it has the grin factor.

So, I purchased the bike, Today it became official at the County Clerk's office and I took it on its first ride with me as owner. I am the happy owner of a 2012 Suzuki DL1000. Here's a couple pics and I have to tell you, the pics don't do it justice. There is a gold metallic flake in the red paint that really catches the sun light. Well, here you go, and thanks for your help... Can't figure out how to post pics, so...

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like 900kaw.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like 900kaw.

Comment

That's great, it's a bike that was on my short list but I couldn't pass up a '13 Multistrada that came up locally. After the recent 15K service which is belts, desmodromic valve adjustment and plugs (for a really good price of $800! - usually close to 2x that) I had the thought that the V-Strom may have made more sense. But I'm happy and sounds like you are too. Hope you get many great miles and smiles from it.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Congrats on the bike!!

If they haven't been done already, you should consider a better seat, different windscreen, and most importantly, better suspension. Both the front and rear are too soft, especially for two-up.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

That is a good bike good choice. Looks like the passenger will be comfortable too. The V twin is very narrow and has better power delivery for the TYPE of riding YOU plan to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X